Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Play calling
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
One of the things that really bugged me about Andy was his seemingly dim-witted sideline presence. A little harsh? Maybe, but from wasted time to hearing opposing teams tell us they knew what play the Eagles offense would run before they ran it made me crazy. Andy was a good planner, a good leader and good at preparation but the game day Andy was frustrating. I think if Reid had been "quicker" on the side lines the Eagles may have a couple of Lombardi trophies to show for his admirable tenure in Philadelphia.

Maybe I'm making too much of this, but Herremans' quote here seems to be saying much of what many of us have felt for several years. I'm excited to see if the Chipster coaches "quick-on-his-feet" and is successful in moving from his game plan if it isn't working. I'm also hoping he doesn't waste time outs.

Todd Herremans made an interesting comment when asked about what’s impressed him about Kelly so far.

“I think the flow and the way that he calls the game is really good,” Herremans said. “It seems like you’re always setting up the next play, which I think is smart.”
Linkity ...
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 20 2013, 06:50 AM) *
One of the things that really bugged me about Andy was his seemingly dim-witted sideline presence. A little harsh? Maybe, but from wasted time to hearing opposing teams tell us they knew what play the Eagles offense would run before they ran it made me crazy. Andy was a good planner, a good leader and good at preparation but the game day Andy was frustrating. I think if Reid had been "quicker" on the side lines the Eagles may have a couple of Lombardi trophies to show for his admirable tenure in Philadelphia.

Maybe I'm making too much of this, but Herremans' quote here seems to be saying much of what many of us have felt for several years. I'm excited to see if the Chipster coaches "quick-on-his-feet" and is successful in moving from his game plan if it isn't working. I'm also hoping he doesn't waste time outs.

Linkity ...

Hollis Thomas is a regular on the morning show in WIP. He says with a chuckle that when he was on the Saints and they played us, he would call out the first few plays of the game, and often on drives. Reid apologists try to deflect this fact, that he was absolutely stubborn and predictable. If his gameplan worked, we won. If it didn't, our guys would have to overcome his lack of adjustments.

You mention his preparation skill, which is a big reason why he never lost after the bye week (except last year).
mcnabbulous
I can guarantee that if Chip lasts 14 years, we will all be able to predict plays. It's the nature of the game.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 21 2013, 11:58 PM) *
I can guarantee that if Chip lasts 14 years, we will all be able to predict plays. It's the nature of the game.

The play calling of championship calibre coaches is usually not very predictable. The ability to change/adapt is paramount in one's ability to succeed. If Chip lasts 14 years and is "predictable" and has 0 super bowls to show for it....his ass will get roasted too.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 22 2013, 09:00 AM) *
The play calling of championship calibre coaches is usually not very predictable. The ability to change/adapt is paramount in one's ability to succeed. If Chip lasts 14 years and is "predictable" and has 0 super bowls to show for it....his ass will get roasted too.

Good response.
mcnabbulous
It's about execution. A good team can execute even when the other team knows what is coming. It's why teams will routinely call a play that is working over and over again.

Our team's simply couldn't execute. Because they weren't very good. Andy seemed a lot less predictable when his team was winning between 12-14 games a year.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 22 2013, 10:26 AM) *
It's about execution. A good team can execute even when the other team knows what is coming. It's why teams will routinely call a play that is working over and over again.

Our team's simply couldn't execute. Because they weren't very good. Andy seemed a lot less predictable when his team was winning between 12-14 games a year.

If the routine involved a series or a game, i agree with your statement. However, the commonality of AR's play calling lasted for seasons. It continued even after everybody knew what was coming and even we didn't possess the tools/personnel to properly execute the chosen play selection.

A good coach doesn't wait for their system to fail before trying to fix it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 22 2013, 10:16 AM) *
If the routine involved a series or a game, i agree with your statement. However, the commonality of AR's play calling lasted for seasons. It continued even after everybody knew what was coming and even we didn't possess the tools/personnel to properly execute the chosen play selection.

A good coach doesn't wait for their system to fail before trying to fix it.

Give me a break. There were a handful of plays in Andy's routine that became predictable over the years. Specifically the shovel pass.

It's not like this was some all encompassing thing. We had a top-10 offense in the league almost every season up to 2011 (where we were #4.)

mcnabbulous
Not to mention that we averaged 29 points a game against the Saints while Hollis Thomas was in New Orleans. So he must mumble, because apparently his teammates couldn't hear him.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 22 2013, 11:26 AM) *
Give me a break. There were a handful of plays in Andy's routine that became predictable over the years. Specifically the shovel pass.

It's not like this was some all encompassing thing. We had a top-10 offense in the league almost every season up to 2011 (where we were #4.)
I disagree. It's not as much the play as when it's called. The example of Andy going heavy on the pass when he has jittery QB and a decimated OL is a good one. Andy did a lot of good play calling as did Marty but they also both had more than their share of "dumb ass shit" that came across as either brain dead, arrogant or plain idiotic.

Andy also seemed stubbornly devoted to his game plan and was either reluctant or incapable of adjusting to what the defense was doing. Putting a rookie O lineman at LT against a stud pass rusher, watching him fail and sticking with it. Huh?
mcnabbulous
Like I said, we were a perennial top-10 offense.

That could mean three things.

1) Either Andy/Marty weren't as predictable as you guys have said
2) Predictability in playcalling is irrelevant
3) You guys are much more qualified to shut down offenses than NFL defensive coordinators.

I believe it's likely a likely a combination of 1 & 2.

Over the course of Andy's tenure, I can find far more success on offense than the standard examples that are thrown out around here.

This conversation has obviously run it's course, as if it hasn't for the past several years. I'm looking forward to watching him in KC, with a QB that seems better suited to run his preferred style of offense.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 22 2013, 05:37 PM) *
I believe it's likely a likely a combination of 1 & 2.

#3, I'm a beast! biggrin.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 22 2013, 05:56 PM) *
#3, I'm a beast! biggrin.gif

It's possible smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.