Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Vague Phillies press conference at 2:30 EST
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
This could be nothing, but they just announced a press conference today with no details. Charlie stepping down?

Stay tuned.
mcnabbulous
Rumors are definitely related to it being a Charlie announcement.
mcnabbulous
And it's confirmed. Charlie out as manager. Fucking RAJ. What a piece of shit.

I'm in the "Charlie isn't the right fit for this team" camp at this point, but Connie Mack couldn't save this bumbling squad of dog shit. If RAJ keeps his job after this season, it's a travesty.
nephillymike
I hope it's mutual.

To me, it's time for a change. For Manuel's sake, as long as he's getting paid thru the end of the year, I think it's better to do it now as long as he's OK with it.

I'm hoping they are both there at the podium announcing the "step down". If not, that would be shame but make no mistake, a change is needed.

My first move would be to sit JRoll the first time he dogs it.
mcnabbulous
He should have been allowed to ride out the season. And they both should be let go at that point.

It's a scapegoat move by RAJ. He's trash and now I dislike him even more.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2013, 01:30 PM) *
He should have been allowed to ride out the season. And they both should be let go at that point.

Even after he cried at the presser??
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 16 2013, 02:43 PM) *
Even after he cried at the presser??

Do I really have to cite Jimmy Dugan here?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2013, 02:30 PM) *

Yeah, at this point firing him makes RAJ an even bigger scumbag. He doesn't do anything at the trade deadline, this team goes into a tailspin, and NOW he gets fired? It's obvious he was waiting for Charlie to get his 1,000th career win, and that's ok, but RAJ has steadily driven this team into the ground. We're turning into the Mets - all payroll, all crap.
nephillymike
I think you guys are misreading what happened.

My take:

1. CM and RAJ meet to talk about CM's future. RAJ tells him they are not bringing him back. This is no surprise to CM

2. RAJ asks CM if he would like to be let go now, or would he like to remain thru the season. RAJ assures CM he would be paid thru the end of the year.

3. CM says he'd rather leave now than later. He's had enough of watching this team, if there is no managerial future in it beyond this year.

4. They hold the joint press conference announcing, short of an extension, what CM wanted.

Unless you think that RAJ should give CM an extension, I don't see how any CM fan can have a problem with this.

In case you haven't heard, CM was on MIkey Miss the other day and let it slip that he didn't think he'd be here until the end of the year.
mcnabbulous
Charlie explicitly said he didn't quit. I don't believe there is any chance Charlie volunteered to walk away early.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2013, 04:09 PM) *
Charlie explicitly said he didn't quit. I don't believe there is any chance Charlie volunteered to walk away early.

You are projecting.

He didn't quit. He was given permission to take a paid vacation rather than watch his pitiful team the rest of the year.

If Charlie was pissed about it, he wouldn't have been at the press conference, in a good enough mood to laugh about things.

I think you're letting your hatred for RAJ paint a scene uglier than it really is.
mcnabbulous
I don't know how Charlie saying "ďI never quit nothiní and I didnít resign" could mean anything other than he was fired. You are the one making up a hypothetical situation/conversation.

He showed up today because he's a class act.

I've been on record as saying that Charlie shouldn't be the manager of this club for 2 years. But there is no good reason they fired him now. He should have finished out the season. This is RAJ's mess.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2013, 04:48 PM) *
I don't know how Charlie saying "ďI never quit nothiní and I didnít resign" could mean anything other than he was fired. You are the one making up a hypothetical situation/conversation.

He showed up today because he's a class act.

I've been on record as saying that Charlie shouldn't be the manager of this club for 2 years. But there is no good reason they fired him now. He should have finished out the season. This is RAJ's mess.

In his mind he didn't quit. He didn't resign. When he was told he was not going to get an extension, he and RAJ mutually agreed that he would leave early paid for the rest of his contract.

If you look at the facial expressions of the men during the conference, you will not see the scorn of a guy done wrong. CM was OK with it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 16 2013, 06:12 PM) *
In his mind he didn't quit. He didn't resign. When he was told he was not going to get an extension, he and RAJ mutually agreed that he would leave early paid for the rest of his contract.

If you look at the facial expressions of the men during the conference, you will not see the scorn of a guy done wrong. CM was OK with it.

Do you know this to be fact? And if so, what value is there in letting him go now?
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2013, 06:35 PM) *
Do you know this to be fact? And if so, what value is there in letting him go now?

No not as a fact. But CM is no fake. He came out and said on the radio the other day that he wasn't going to stay the year. He's not capable of faking all those smiles.

What value in doing it now? Put CM out of his misery. Also, seems like they're not sure about Sandberg. Gives them a 42 game preview of how he'll do. Not so much from a W-L standpoint, but from interactions with the players, strategy, accountability, managerial skills etc.

I just want him to sit JRoll down the first time he dogs it.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 16 2013, 05:03 PM) *
Unless you think that RAJ should give CM an extension, I don't see how any CM fan can have a problem with this.

Because it's disrespectful to the only manager in this pitiful franchise's history to get us to 2 World Series, not to mention winning one. Especially considering this appalling product RAJ has put on the field, and the fact that he did nothing at the deadline when we were at .500 and within striking distance a little before that. I've wanted Reid gone for 4 years, but even I thought he should be allowed to finish the year, which he did.

If your take is correct that's a bit of a different story, but I don't see how you can possibly consider your take factual. Based on what?
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 16 2013, 11:42 PM) *
Because it's disrespectful to the only manager in this pitiful franchise's history to get us to 2 World Series, not to mention winning one. Especially considering this appalling product RAJ has put on the field, and the fact that he did nothing at the deadline when we were at .500 and within striking distance a little before that. I've wanted Reid gone for 4 years, but even I thought he should be allowed to finish the year, which he did.

If your take is correct that's a bit of a different story, but I don't see how you can possibly consider your take factual. Based on what?

Did you get a chance to watch the presser? Charlie says "we" many times when discussing the decision to step down now. Too many smiles. He's no fake. They came to an agreement.

If you get the chance to watch the entire press conference and feel different, let me know.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2013, 02:30 PM) *

I agree
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 16 2013, 05:03 PM) *
I think you guys are misreading what happened.

My take:

1. CM and RAJ meet to talk about CM's future. RAJ tells him they are not bringing him back. This is no surprise to CM

2. RAJ asks CM if he would like to be let go now, or would he like to remain thru the season. RAJ assures CM he would be paid thru the end of the year.

3. CM says he'd rather leave now than later. He's had enough of watching this team, if there is no managerial future in it beyond this year.

4. They hold the joint press conference announcing, short of an extension, what CM wanted.

In case you haven't heard, CM was on MIkey Miss the other day and let it slip that he didn't think he'd be here until the end of the year.

Perhaps, but whichever way it happened, the fans and the City were owed the courtesy of finishing the season in a respectable way. If this is on Amaro or Management then they suck. If this is on Charlie then shame on him.
JaxEagle
Both of you make good points. We don't and may not really know what happened but the fact it that as a whole, they didn't need to humiliate us like that, let alone the players, etc.

On a separate note, my first take was that they wanted Sandberg and anticipated someone else hiring him before we could so we went ahead and made the move. Maybe a little far-fetched but in any case, I sure wish they would have waited until we played out the string.
JaxEagle
By the way, anybody see the game last night? Who coached third base?
mcnabbulous
Sorry Mikey, you're wrong on this one. Charlie was fired. RAJ blamed him.

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=957...amp;src=desktop

Sorry if that's a mobile link.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 17 2013, 11:45 AM) *
Sorry Mikey, you're wrong on this one. Charlie was fired. RAJ blamed him.

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=957...amp;src=desktop

Sorry if that's a mobile link.

Again, I think you are misreading it:

"And once they knew, once and for all, that The Time Had Come to change managers, the only question was when, not if.

So, in the past week or so, Amaro began to agonize, sources say, over whether this was the right moment. He sounded out his friends and advisers. He met numerous times, in fact, with Manuel himself.

And once it became clear there wasn't much for either of them to gain by forcing this manager to writhe his way through 42 games worth of uncomfortable questions for no particular purpose, it was time to start typing the news releases."

There wasn't much for EITHER of them to gain.

Sure Charlie would have signed on for another year or two, but if you are of the opinion that that shouldn't happen (which I am), then they should only let him stay the year if either of them found a reason to. That wasn't the case. IMO If Charlie says to Ruben, it is important for me to stay the whole year, he stays.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Aug 17 2013, 10:24 AM) *
By the way, anybody see the game last night? Who coached third base?

Nobody probably. They didn't really need anyone there anyway since Chase Utley was the only one to make it that far all night.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 16 2013, 02:25 PM) *
My first move would be to sit JRoll the first time he dogs it.

I didn't watch most of the game last night, but I am sure it was at some point in the game last night.
SAM I Am
It was time for Charlie to go just like it was time for Andy to go. Now if we can just get rid of Amaro...

This team has been on a steady decline since the day he took over.

Charlie will always be beloved in the town. I heard him and the Misses went out to dinner last night at a restaurant in NJ, and as they were leaving, all the other people in the restaurant got up out of their seats and gave him a standing ovation.

Glad to see he got win number 1,000 for his career before this thing wrapped up here.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 16 2013, 07:44 PM) *
I just want him to sit JRoll down the first time he dogs it.

least of our issues
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.