Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: QB Thoughts About Tonight
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
If Vick plays great again tonight, do you name him the starter before next week's game?

I would say yes, if he plays great and Foles plays good or less. If Foles also plays great, or they both play good, then I'm OK with having another week to decide.

Last week, Vick didn't run the hurry up and Foles ran only hurry up. What I do is make sure tonight that both have enough time in the other offense (Vick in hurry up, Foles in non)
and then a complete choice can be made.

And if they haven't named a starter after tonight, I play the combo of Foles and Vick for three or four quarters next week and then decide.

If Vick wins it tonight, then I play him 2 -1/2 quarters next week and Foles 1-1/2 quarters.

Week four, I sit the starter, play the backup 1/4 and let the others play the last three quarters.

One of the reporters made a good point. Since Foles and Vick are sharing reps, at this rate, whoever the starter is will have played less in the preseason that most starters do. By letting the starter play most of game three, that should help remedy that.
Birdman420
I'd love to see if vick can handle the hurry up and still make good decisions on the fly. I have a feeling that chips offense will hit the ground running at a high tempo when the season starts and it's important to see which guy can keep the ball moving at a fast pace.

This is especially important for vick because by going in the huddle it allows the defense to implement their scheme against vick(overload his left)and cause pressure forcing him to make the bad choices we've seen him make. If vick has time or no pressure that's when we see him at his best.

If vick can run the hurry up well then he will keep the defense on their heels and we won't see vick on his back after every play.
mcnabbulous
I really hope they don't name a starter based on the randomness of a few quarters in a preseason game.
make_it_rain
I think tonight's game will (or at least should ) decide the qb competition. The third game is essentially the starter's game, and the fourth game is basically for all the fringe guys trying to grab a roster spot, so if it's not decided before the third preseason game, when will it be decided?

There's a couple scenarios (and probably a few more that I'm missing), interested to hear who you think gets the edge based on them:

1). Foles plays the first quarter, plays lights out, completes a few deep balls, no turnovers one or two TDs. Vick comes on in the 2nd and plays poorly, say, with a turnover, a 3 and out, and is largely ineffective. (Would a performance like that from Foles(and Vick's hypothetical bad showing), combined with a good showing last week against New England, be enough to put Foles over the top and get him the starting job?)

2.) Foles plays decent, Vick plays decent. Nothing terrible but nothing great from either. (WTF do you do here?)

3) Foles plays poorly. Vick has basically a repeat performance of his game against NE or something similar. (I think this basically locks the starting role up for Vick.)

4). The reverse of the NE game. Both have good games, lead scoring drives, but Foles is slightly more impressive. (Again, WTF do you do here?)
nephillymike
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Aug 15 2013, 03:01 PM) *
I think tonight's game will (or at least should ) decide the qb competition. The third game is essentially the starter's game, and the fourth game is basically for all the fringe guys trying to grab a roster spot, so if it's not decided before the third preseason game, when will it be decided?

There's a couple scenarios (and probably a few more that I'm missing), interested to hear who you think gets the edge based on them:

1). Foles plays the first quarter, plays lights out, completes a few deep balls, no turnovers one or two TDs. Vick comes on in the 2nd and plays poorly, say, with a turnover, a 3 and out, and is largely ineffective. (Would a performance like that from Foles(and Vick's hypothetical bad showing), combined with a good showing last week against New England, be enough to put Foles over the top and get him the starting job?)

2.) Foles plays decent, Vick plays decent. Nothing terrible but nothing great from either. (WTF do you do here?)

3) Foles plays poorly. Vick has basically a repeat performance of his game against NE or something similar. (I think this basically locks the starting role up for Vick.)

4). The reverse of the NE game. Both have good games, lead scoring drives, but Foles is slightly more impressive. (Again, WTF do you do here?)

Before I rate the scenarios, I want to add that I want to see Vick RUN a few times in the read option. Nothing crazy, two or three times will suffice. If I have to watch Foles bumble and stuimble for ten yards last week, I'd like to see MV on a few designed runs.

I'm assuming that Chip ignored last season and that each QB started out as equal this year. FWIW, if he puts anything on last year, Foles has the advantage but I don't think that matter to Chip as it's a different system etc.

I have Vick ahead thru last week. Foles wa s ahead after the OTA's. Vick has played better in training camp. Vick played better last week and I say that even if I put no weight on the sack/fumble. LIke I said, Vick would have fumbled too, but Vick threw some real nice passes.

So Vick is ahead 1-0 IMO. That being said:

If #1 happens, nobody wins the job yet, it goes to week #3 until it is decided
#2 - Vick wins
#3 Vick wins
#4 Just like #1, goes to week #3.

It will be interesting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.