Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Coaching Success Probabilities
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Bocadelphia Eagles John
I do not know what the historical stats are about it, but I would imagine the odds of Chip Kelly proving to be a succesful (future super bowl winner) head coach with the Eagles is probably a long shot. You know, the Spurrier / Saban syndrome. The likes of the Vermiel experience is probably a rarity. I have no stats to support such idea, just a hunch. .

On the other hand, it seems we let the best one slip through our fingers when we had to let Harbaugh find his success elsewhere. His proven abilities while ST coordinator with us proved to be solid grounding and experience to set him up to be ... a winner. And I suppose that what locked him out for us was how long the contract was with FF.

And so, with Chip I have to say I am enthusiastic about the guy, but have to err on the side of caution. If he proves to be that winner, we will be VERY lucky.

The other thing I'm not sure about is how many in the organization coaching up our team wear their own super bowl ring.

I don't feel the omens are high. I guess what I'm saying is, the best I figure for Chip is a history with us of interest, with low probability of any super bowl title on the horizon. If Reid couldn't do it get er done, why will Chip ?
Eyrie
I've said for the last few years that the odds on getting someone who would do as well for us as Reid did were very low, but we had to make the change because it was clear we had reached Reid's ceiling here and he had gone stale.

So whilst I hope Kelly can take us to the promised land, I wouldn't put money on him or anyone else succeeding.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
I suppose at the root of it all is the ownership decision on how to set up the initial contract with Reid. It seems rare for any coach to last as long as he did in one franchise. So maybe at the root of our problems in this important area is the reality of the fact that Lurie is not a football high flyer. He is not exactly a "masterful" owner from a "football" perspective. His pedigree is not favorable in this regard. And so he didn't know how to run the show with ONLY the prize in mind ....

And so it was a matter of bad timing in losing Harbaugh who would have been great to keep around as our guy.

And I wonder how the agreement with Chip was reached. Did ownership challenge him with ... our aim is that trophy ... or rather, we want to be competetive and make sure the seats and merchandise are sold. Goal v. business slant. I hope it is the elusive prize that plagues Lurie and all others in the organization to make them not only accountable, but ready to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT !

One has to wonder why we are one of those without a super bowl WIN. Apperances are exciting, sure .... but we want MORE than that ....

It REALLY BOTHERS me that Baltimore is a city with multiple super bowls, and from entirely different teams, or that Indianapolis now has a team that won multiple super bowls while playing out of entirely different cities and even different STATES for pete's sake !

And it REALLY BOTHERS me that all other NFC East teams have multiple SB trophies. IT REALLY BOTHERS ME I TELL YA !!!

The root of this famine MUST be examined from the core. And that means, the performance of the organization. And the responsibility for this has to be ... those running the organization ... from owner to coaching staff .... how come they're not under more HEAT ? OK, so Chip has to have a pass ... but for how long ?

And who among the publicists are going to make it a point to BUST LURIE'S CHOPS every second of every day UNTIL this ugly history is REVERSED ????

My wish is for the ENTIRE Philly media to stop playing pussy cat with Lurie and start calling it for what it is .... A PATHETIC PERFORMANCE BY THE ORGANIZATION ....

Forget any nonsense about how succesful Reid was. HE FAILED. HE LEFT HERE ... A FAILURE ! Ain't no other way to slice it ...

So ... putting that behind us ... THE TIME IS NOW ..... DO IT ! Start making the good decisions ... no, the BEST decisions .... to field and provide ...

A WINNER .... and regrettably, that means not expecting too much out of this new squad until Chip has been able to put together that winner ... the clock has started ticking.

And the EVENTUAL expectations SHOULD BE .... SKY HIGH !!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!!!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 13 2013, 02:46 PM) *
I've said for the last few years that the odds on getting someone who would do as well for us as Reid did were very low, but we had to make the change because it was clear we had reached Reid's ceiling here and he had gone stale.

So whilst I hope Kelly can take us to the promised land, I wouldn't put money on him or anyone else succeeding.

my sentiments exactly from top to bottom....
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 13 2013, 05:51 PM) *
my sentiments exactly from top to bottom....

Why ?

Are you and Eyrie both resigned to an entire FUTHRE HISTORY of not ONE Super Bowl for the Eagles ?

I'm convinced something can be done about it. But it will require quite a will and a resolve. But I refuse to accept permanent failure for the eagles. Find the root cause, then fix it ...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!!!
Eyrie
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Aug 13 2013, 10:58 PM) *
Why ?

Are you and Eyrie both resigned to an entire FUTHRE HISTORY of not ONE Super Bowl for the Eagles ?

I'm convinced something can be done about it. But it will require quite a will and a resolve. But I refuse to accept permanent failure for the eagles. Find the root cause, then fix it ...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!!!

Then name the coach that we could have signed instead of Kelly who would be a 100% nailed on certainty to win the SuperBowl for us every year.

There isn't one, so the best that any team can hope for is to have a coach and players who will be competitive every year, making the playoffs and playing well once they're there against the other elite teams. Reid managed that early in his tenure here, but struggled latterly and never got us back to that level. Look around the league each year and see how many coaches fail to even make the play offs with any regularity. Those are the odds that we are up against when hiring a new coach.

Acknowledging those odds is not the same as accepting mediocrity. Indeed my response to you was saying that simply being competitive each year under Reid was no longer enough and we had to try a new approach under a new coach to see if we can win the SuperBowl.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 14 2013, 02:24 PM) *
Then name the coach that we could have signed instead of Kelly who would be a 100% nailed on certainty to win the SuperBowl for us every year.

- oops , that's not what I was suggesting ... or at least, not trying to assert ... I'm sure that for this occasion, Eagles made an intriguing choice... and sadly, that best has NO experience in the NFL. So it's a probability topic, not a "certainty" type of thing ...

Those are the odds that we are up against when hiring a new coach.

- agreed, it's not an easy pick to make.

being competitive each year under Reid was no longer enough and we had to try a new approach under a new coach to see if we can win the SuperBowl.

- agreed. It's not the point I'm trying to make. Maybe I'm being obtuse ?

I'm taking the longer view. 47 super bowls have been played, 94 teams have had a shot at winning ONE ... and Eagles are without any trophy. Map out all those teams closest to us in geography, and ALL of them have won super bowls.

I'm dealing with the topic of ... Why this super bowl lifetime drought ? Where's the root cause?I'm asserting it's ... in the FO and along the sidelines, not ON the field. Our problems are more than just a "curse" or some wierd stuff like that .... there's a reason for this lousy history.

Is Chip the guy , longer term ? Who knows. I'm just saying, he's a long shot. But, certainly an interesting idea. I hope he gets 'er done. I'm not betting on it ...

I personally know a guy who was once a partner with an Eagles owner and my thinking is, there is a disconnect between ownership (organization) excellence and the product the FANS pay to see .... That's my point.

If I'm the customer .... I'M NOT HAPPY AND I'M SICK AND TIRED OF BEING NOT HAPPY AND I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THE BULL .... and owenership/organization keeps letting me down. Why is that ?

No one is putting any heat on Lurie. And ... why the hell not ? I want the philly media to be more demanding about what happens OFF the field and throughout the ORGANIZATION that is Eagles football ... BEFORE we pick our final roster.

And don't get me wrong .... Chip gets a pass .. I just don't know how long the leash is ...

Eagles fans have seen days when our talent was terrific .... and yet ... the same outcome. No trophy.

Something's wrong with the entire Eagles picture album.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.