Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did a rough draft of final cutdowns for this team
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
The main site lists 87 active guys on the roster. I had 22 no brainer cuts and then a final 12 cuts that required a little thought.

No brainer cuts (22)
C - Tenant
CB - Whitley
DE - Geathers, Remington
DT - Walker
OG - Menkin
LB - Acho, Brown, Long, McCoy
QB - Kinne
RB - Tucker
S - Sims
OT - Kopa, Purcell,Tobin
TE - Carrier, Shaw
WR - Miller, Momah, Murphy
P - Wing

Tougher Cuts (12)
CB - Marsh, Lindley
DE - King, Kruger
FB - Igwenagu
LB - Hunt, Matthews
QB - Dixon
S - Allen, Phillips
OT - Bariro, Barbarie

Which leaves the following 53 man roster (hold your nose!)
C - Kelce, Reynolds
OG - Mathis, Herremans, Watkins, Vanderwelde
OT - Peters, Johnson, Kelly, Wang
TE - Casey, Celek, Ertz, Harbor
WR - Jackson, Cooper, Avant, Johnson, Salas, Shepard
QB - Vick, Foles, Barkley
RB - McCoy, Brown, Polk, Jones

K - Henery
P - Jones
LS - Dorenbos

DE - Curry, Square
DT - Cox, Sopoaga, Dixon, Logan, Thorton
LB - Barwin, Ryans, Kendrick, Graham, Cole, Chaney, Knott
S - Chung, Coleman, Wolff, Anderson
CB - Williams, Boykin, Fletcher, Poyer, Hughes

The bottom 10 - F. Jones, Shepard, Salas, Harbor, Wang, Dixon, Hughes, Anderson, Knott, Square

Looking unit by unit, I think we're strong at OL, TE, RB. OK at DL and QB. OTOH, I see only two starting LB's and NO starting caliber DB's. Those two areas were points of emphasis and at this point, it looks like we've not succeeded in the upgrade.

Can use this as a handy guide to update after injuries and other preseason games.
JeeQ
Just one note for now...

I can almost 100% guarantee you Casey Matthews makes this team. Chip Kelly is his former college coach who awarded Matthews his best player of the year award in 2010. Not a chance he cuts him.
nephillymike
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 11 2013, 11:09 AM) *
Just one note for now...

I can almost 100% guarantee you Casey Matthews makes this team. Chip Kelly is his former college coach who awarded Matthews his best player of the year award in 2010. Not a chance he cuts him.

if true, who does he replace on my 53 man roster?
nephillymike
After the second game, Geathers may not be an easy cut.

Also, F. Jones poor showing may open the door for a 4th RB like Tucker to stick. Jones has shown nothing. Have to believe there will be plenty of teams who only keep three RB's and release some better than Tucker.

With all the running we will be doing, I think we need to keep 4. I see Igwanagu as too much like a TE, and he's not top 4 at that spot so I think he still gets cut.

So not many changes after the second game IMO.
nephillymike
http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadel...od-bet-final-53

Add Barbarie to the 53 man roster. My guess is they keep Kelly on the PUP until he heals. If not, they activate Kelly and then either Wang, Vanderwelde or Watkins goes. Barbarie has played OT and OG this year and played well.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 17 2013, 08:41 AM) *

I think this is the key point: "after the second game ..." We saw some pretty significant differences from players, especially on defense. Not only are the players adjusting the new schemes and coaches, the coaches are learning the players' strengths and weaknesses. I'm not so sure this would be a big deal with Andy and his staff, but Kelly has repeatedly told us that he'll devise his schemes based on his players' strengths.

I think they'll need more game information to judge who stays and who goes.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 17 2013, 08:41 AM) *

Also, F. Jones poor showing may open the door for a 4th RB like Tucker to stick. Jones has shown nothing. Have to believe there will be plenty of teams who only keep three RB's and release some better than Tucker.

With all the running we will be doing, I think we need to keep 4. I see Igwanagu as too much like a TE, and he's not top 4 at that spot so I think he still gets cut.

So not many changes after the second game IMO.

They can keep 3 RBs and use Casey as a 4th, he has played the position.
canadianeagle
I am feeling like Chaney could be on the block. Who would replace him? Perhaps Mathews. I would not be surprised if Acho made this team. I feel that he has had a pretty solid camp thus far.
D Rock
F.Jones is gone.

Acho sticks over Matthews.

Barberie(sp?) is our 3rd OTackle. He sticks over Watson.

Geathers sticks over Dixon (who's done nothing)
nephillymike
Well, we got one answer today.

Today the Eagles cut their Wang!!

Ouch!!
JeeQ
Bear with me here everyone... but I think for the first time in a long time in Eagles history our head coach is going to help build our draft picks into quality players. I know almost every team in the league does this naturally as that's the point of a coach, but I know we're not used to it here.

Let's look at a few examples already...

DeSean learned more than one route, and finally looks like a true #1 WR
They tailored an offense around our starting QBs strengths
Our coach thinks running is something you can do other then in an emergency situation
He realized 5ft tall 100lbs players aren't exactly the best defenders. No matter how much of a "motor" they have
Chip drafted the man-beast Lane Johnson; Reid drafted the oldest rookie in history Danny Watkins
Our offense, defense, and special teams improved more in one week than it did in an entire season

Let's embrace a brand new day kids. Anything can happen in Chipadelphia!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 19 2013, 05:30 PM) *
Well, we got one answer today.

Today the Eagles cut their Wang!!

Ouch!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
nephillymike
Going from my original 53,

Barbarie for Wang
Turner for F. Jones
Matthews for Chaney
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.