Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riley Cooper: "I Will Fight Every Nigger Here Bro!"
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
Video

Eagles receiver Riley Cooper met with the media at the team's practice facility a little while ago to talk about this. He apologized repeatedly and said the team had fined him "a good amount of money." Cooper acknowledged that he "was drinking" the night he made the comment but added that it "was no excuse for what I said and what I did."

Asked if he had "used that term before," Cooper said he was "raised way better than that" and that his parents were "disgusted with my actions." He also said he would tell his teammates he was "extremely sorry" when he meets with them later tonight. Cooper did admit that the security guard who had refused to let him backstage at the Kenny Chesney show was an African-American.

Do you think he's more of a Mike Vick guy? Or a Nick Foles guy? laugh.gif
nephillymike
I heard the press conference on 97.5. I was surprised by the order of events.

I would have thought the order of his mea culpas would have been:

1. Kelly
2. Roseman & Lurie
3. Team leaders Vick and Cole
4. Team
5. Then the press conference.

Putting the press conference before meeting with those he offended most seemed out of line to me.

My guess is they will cut him.

QB's idiot brother has already tweeted in on the matter saying he offers $1,000 bounty on his head via a hit from a defender to his head.
make_it_rain
what a dumbass. Not that Cooper was anything special the first three years he was here (decent on special teams I guess), but here's a guy with literally the opportunity of a lifetime in front of him with Maclin out, and he just goes and pisses it away. He went from being a strong candidate to be a starter, to quite possibly not making the roster.

Think about that the next time you fuck up at work or blow a big opportunity. At least you didnt blow it as bad as Cooper did.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 31 2013, 08:39 PM) *
QB's idiot brother has already tweeted in on the matter saying he offers $1,000 bounty on his head via a hit from a defender to his head.

Way to go Marcus Vick. That idiotic statement helps nothing. That is arguably as dumb a statement as Cooper's.
mcnabbulous
I can't believe Marcus Vick would risk his NFL future by talking about bounties.
MistahNickells
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 1 2013, 10:49 AM) *
I can't believe Marcus Vick would risk his NFL future by talking about bounties.

he had a future in nfl?? i thought he has been out of the nfl for awhile now unsure.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 1 2013, 10:15 AM) *
he had a future in nfl?? i thought he has been out of the nfl for awhile now unsure.gif

Jokes, my friend. Jokes.
koolaidluke
I'm not sensitive and not offended by racial slurs but Riley Cooper is not some guy on the street, he is a public figure and one who works in a business where the bulk of his co-workers are black.

There are two cases where Cooper's language/behavior would have been understandable:
1. If he was 21/22 and still in college
2. If he was a brain dead moron

Riley Cooper is fucking 25 years old! He has been in the league for several years now. He isn't some immature kid. And when you hear him talk he is very well spoken and obviously intelligent.

To his credit, he has taken his lumps like a man but at the same time, what other choice did he have?
Eyrie
Cooper is an idiot.
D Rock
I like Coop.

To bad, he's shown himself to be either racist or beyond dumb.

I know that sometimes, in a confrontation . . . the first "punches" are words. When I heard it was during a confrontation, I assumed he was heated and simply trying to hurt the recipient with his words. But after seeing the video, he's relatively calm, and talking to a security guy who is no threat to him what so ever.

Fucking Dumb and hateful.

On the positive side . . . (really have to reach to find one)

In this day of the "conditional apology" he actually gave a real apology. None of this "im sorry IF my words were offensive" bullshit. It was a legitimate apology. He offers no excuses. I particularly felt the bit about his parents.

So too, Mike Vick showed some real class with his response. The locker room likes Riley Cooper by all accounts. As Vick said, that makes it "hard to understand, but easy to forgive."

I don't see him getting cut. But I wouldn't be surprised or bothered by it if he were.
koolaidluke
1. I agree he manned up with his apology. I'm torn between wanting to give him kudos and between not want to congratulate him for doing what should be the norm.
2. AF is defending him on TATE. He is claiming that what Cooper said is no worse than all the black players who rap and say "ho" in their songs.

I love AF's football analysis, and I don't doubt he has at least 15 iq points on me, but sometimes he will say things that are so stupid they blow my mind.

Look, I really do feel bad for Cooper. But I think the team should cut him. Not as a moral act but just because it is such a distraction.

Before this post, I had no idea "congratulate" was with a "t" in the "grat" part, as opposed to a "grad" sound. I learned something today.

mcnabbulous
If the dude cared about his health, he'd retire. I can't even fathom the scorn he is going to face every single week. His teammates are having a hard time forgiving him. I don't expect the rest of the league to be so accommodating.

I'm still shocked that a guy from the gulf coast of Florida would use such language...
D Rock
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 1 2013, 08:32 PM) *
1. I agree he manned up with his apology. I'm torn between wanting to give him kudos and between not want to congratulate him for doing what should be the norm.
2. AF is defending him on TATE. He is claiming that what Cooper said is no worse than all the black players who rap and say "ho" in their songs.

I love AF's football analysis, and I don't doubt he has at least 15 iq points on me, but sometimes he will say things that are so stupid they blow my mind.

Look, I really do feel bad for Cooper. But I think the team should cut him. Not as a moral act but just because it is such a distraction.

Before this post, I had no idea "congratulate" was with a "t" in the "grat" part, as opposed to a "grad" sound. I learned something today.

AF is a douche. And his football "analysis" sophomoric.

nephillymike
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 1 2013, 02:32 PM) *

AF? He's still kicking out theories on life and others societal issues? Does he consider this a Modrak problem or a Reid/Heckert issue? My guess is he blames it on Modrak!!
BirdsWinBaby
the incident happened in June. when you are sorry for what you have done...you apologize after you do it

if you are instead only sorry people found out about it...you sincerely apologize right after people find out about it
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Aug 1 2013, 05:42 PM) *
the incident happened in June. when you are sorry for what you have done...you apologize after you do it

if you are instead only sorry people found out about it...you sincerely apologize right after people find out about it

Good post.
HOUSEoPAIN
What an idiot. One of my friends said 'he's gonna get some dirty looks in the locker room.'

I'd be more worried about the 12 different free safeties he's going to have to face, probably all black. Enjoy getting speared Riley.
nephillymike
As the town holds a vigil awaiting the seemingly imminent release of Riley Cooper, I wonder in the annals of NFL players violations against society in general or teammates in specific, where this act rates.

I don't pretend to know all past transgressions of the NFL players as I know that is a long list, but for those who know of such things, I wonder if this ranks as a fireable offense relative to others.

This whole things reminds me of back in the early 80's in college when I was teammates (and road roommates) of the first two African American baseball players who played at our school. Matter of fact, at that time, I think that only one other A-A player was playing in the city six. Anyway, there was an incident my Freshman year while we were on the road for a preseason tournament where one of my white teammates said the N word in what he thought was a joking way in front of the two A-A teammates and a few other white teammates. It hurt my roommate deeply and I didn't fully understand his reaction and we spent hours that night talking about it. Two blacks guys and two white guys on the road as roomies and we spent many a night discussing sensitive subjects about race and other things. But the thing that I remember was how hurtful it was to him. And the guy who said it wasn't meaning to say it in a hurtful way so much, but his ignorance shone through and the damage was done. This was an incident between the two most touted recruits that year and these guys were going to be teammates for years as we all were the same year. The white guy felt bad, and he apologized and my roommate forgave him over time. They were never best friends, but I think they both considered each other friends and at future reunions it appeared that was genuine. Hard to believe, but back then there weren't many A-A college baseball players in this area, and at times, my two A-A teammates would have shit said to them when we played buy players on the other teams, sometimes fans. Nothing nearly as bad as Jackie R., not even close, but way out of line. I remember the white guy who initially spouted the N word, sticking up for his teammate when racist shit was said and having words with the ignorant SOB opposing players who had a lot of shit to say, almost causing a bc brawl. The point is, this is a real life example of where one White teammate used the N word directly at a Black teammate in a hurtful way and these two players were able to put it behind them and develop a friendship. To me, that is worse than what Cooper did. To use the N work generically at a concert, is not on the same level than directing that at one of your Black teammates. If they were able to get over it, I think the Eagles players and Cooper deserve the chance to get over it.

The other thing that strikes me about today's society is seeing how much my roommate was hurting from that word, it blows my mind how the younger generation of A-A use it in song and colloquial speech. It's almost as if what it meant to my nearly 50 year old teammate has some how been lost on today's generation. In a strange way, I think the casual use of that word in today's culture, desensitizes and gives people (whites included) free license to use it where none exists. I think society would be better served if all races removed the word from use. Remembering what it meant and what it stood for doesn't deserve the free use of today.
JeeQ
If I'm Riley Cooper I do three things...

Announce my retirement from the NFL, for now... mainly for his health. The first play he's in someone is going to take the penalty/fine and end his career. At this point it might be his own teammate. Need I remind you our first game is against the Redskins (the irony) of all teams; you're almost inviting it to happen. If Cooper gets laid out the number of damns given by the people of Washington D.C. will be equal to the number of Super Bowl Championships in the Eagles trophy case. But not only for that reason, but for the good of the team who decided not to publicly fire him on the spot like every single one of us on the forum would have been for doing the same thing. Think I'm wrong about that? Walk into middle of your workplace, say what Riley Cooper did, and hope you work in Alabama or Southern Florida.

Next he should play in the CFL for a few seasons where he'll be completely invisible in the eyes of the media. Name me the top 3 WRs in the CFL... go... how about the top 2? How about any WR in the CFL? How about any player in the CFL? I rest my case...

Then quietly return to the NFL after a few more ignorant ignoramuses make far worse mistakes than you did. Which sadly won't be too difficult when we already have murderers, rapists, and pedophiles.

Option B would of course be to come out, score a bunch of touchdowns, and win over the hearts of America by winning on the field. But with 46 receptions over three seasons it's clear the only reason you haven't been cut yet is because you're white, and you went and fucked that up. Way to go Riley, way to go.
Eyrie
Vick has been rehabilitated after something worse than Cooper did, so there is a chance for him to come through this if he shows the same level of humility and contrition.

I like the way the Eagles have handled this. They haven't rushed to sack Cooper or attempted to ignore it but have been up front with their disapproval. Arranging counselling for him is better than cutting him adrift, but has the same impact on our football fortunes because he will miss the rest of camp and probably pre-season. Wouldn't be surprised to see him placed on reserve for this year.

I also recall an incident many years ago when Kerry Collins used the N word to a black teammate at the Panthers and from memory no action was taken at the time. Pre-internet days though so any response may not have been reported over here.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 3 2013, 03:46 AM) *
Vick has been rehabilitated after something worse than Cooper did, so there is a chance for him to come through this if he shows the same level of humility and contrition.

I like the way the Eagles have handled this. They haven't rushed to sack Cooper or attempted to ignore it but have been up front with their disapproval. Arranging counselling for him is better than cutting him adrift, but has the same impact on our football fortunes because he will miss the rest of camp and probably pre-season. Wouldn't be surprised to see him placed on reserve for this year.

I also recall an incident many years ago when Kerry Collins used the N word to a black teammate at the Panthers and from memory no action was taken at the time. Pre-internet days though so any response may not have been reported over here.

The Collins incident

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/0...to-new-orleans/
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 2 2013, 10:38 PM) *
... it blows my mind how the younger generation of A-A use it in song and colloquial speech.

This is a point that I think is being overlooked here and I find it confusing. Part of society, those who listen to rap music are apparently exposed to this kind of thing. We hear it in movies. I've heard blacks use the word in conversation. Is it racist to sing the song? Is it OK for one person to use a word but forbidden for another to use the same word? Are some of us permitted to just listen to something and not repeat it?

Shady says he may not be able to forgive Cooper. Is what Cooper did so much worse than what Shady did with the mother of his child?

Racism is a pariah on humanity. It displays ignorance and fear of differences. Our country has come a long way since the origin of that word, to the point where we elected and re-elected a black man to our highest office.

We're told Cooper isn't racist, just stupid. His outburst caught on video is clear example of the second. If he is not racist and if use of that word is something he is exposed to with his music choices and if others are permitted to use the same word without consequence why is he being held out as a social problem?

I try to accept everyone for who they are, not what they look like. I'd like to believe that the most people agree. At some point in our lives we all are guilty of stupidity. Are we to be judged by that or for who we are when we're not being an idiot.

Cooper was clearly being an idiot when he made that outburst. Is that who he is or is that one stupid thing he did? Is it right to judge him for one thing and forget the rest? We're looking at this from the outside. His teammates know him. If he's a racist get his ass out of town now. If he made a mistake, chastise him and move on.
nephillymike
Dawkins had a good take on it yesterday on 97.5

If anyone can find it on-line, it is a worth while listen.

IMO, both races would do well to listen to it and remember what the word meant.
Zero
After listening to that my opinion of Dawk is unchanged. The dude was a great football player and is an amazing person. The planet is a better place with him here.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 3 2013, 04:46 AM) *

The Collins incident wasn't on video, reports were inconsistent, and reports of Collins being punched by a teammate were proven to be false - so while he acknowledged saying it, Muhammad (the target of the slur) forgave him publicly, he apologized immediately, and there was certainly no viral internet video watched by tens of millions.

He was also a known drunken degenerate, and played in Carolina, a few years in as an expansion team. Certainly the video of Cooper is more damning than a report that he said it, and he plays in Philly, where the national media circles like vultures looking to trash us.

*edit - Hollis Thomas specifically said the video made the news much worse.
HOUSEoPAIN
If Cooper gets laid out the number of damns given by the people of Washington D.C. will be equal to the number of Super Bowl Championships in the Eagles trophy case

You mean the fans I'm sure, but you're wrong for another reason. Washington is salivating over this - they've been slowly getting their claws into the NFL for years (player safety, it's about the children), and of course recently Congressmen have been calling on the Redskins to change their name. Nothing would make many politicians happier than a Redskins player taking off Cooper's head in the first game of the season, because of his use of a racial slur. Hearings, greater calls for them to change their name (the NFL is promoting this kind of racism, and it leads to violence!), more control, further pussifying the game, blah blah. You heard it here first.

Then quietly return to the NFL after a few more ignorant ignoramuses make far worse mistakes than you did. Which sadly won't be too difficult when we already have murderers, rapists, and pedophiles.

Careful. Pointing out the gangbanger culture in the NFL makes you a racist.
HOUSEoPAIN
By the way, does anyone know if Charlie Rangel is going to be accompanying Riley Cooper to sensitivity training?

You know, the bigoted, tax cheating, scumbag Congressman from Harlem who has a long history of blatantly racist remarks, including the one he said yesterday? (or was it Thursday, I forget because nobody in the media covered it)

Some consistency in our society might help race relations as well, and perhaps might show people like Riley Cooper just how serious using such slurs is, before he says them.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 3 2013, 03:22 PM) *
By the way, does anyone know if Charlie Rangel is going to be accompanying Riley Cooper to sensitivity training?

You know, the bigoted, tax cheating, scumbag Congressman from Harlem who has a long history of blatantly racist remarks?

Some consistency in our society might help race relations as well, and perhaps might show people like Riley Cooper just how serious using such slurs is, before he says them.

Doubt it. Saying opposing members of Congress are "Crackers" (as in the white slave masters who "cracked" the whip over slaves backs) just isn't a racist remark in the year 2013.

While inconsistencies can be frustrating, pointing out other wrongs doesn't make Cooper right, or less wrong for that matter. Cooper was wrong and needs to right the ship.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 3 2013, 04:29 PM) *
While inconsistencies can be frustrating, pointing out other wrongs doesn't make Cooper right, or less wrong for that matter.

I never said it did. I'm pointing out that an obscure white 4th string receiver on a 4-12 team just became a household name, while a prominent, obviously racist black Congressman uttering remarks targeting people based on the color of their skin is business as usual. It might help prevent further incidents such as Cooper's if the given example resulted in some kind of inconvenience for Rangel, much less a national news story.
Bez
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 3 2013, 03:12 PM) *
The Collins incident wasn't on video, reports were inconsistent, and reports of Collins being punched by a teammate were proven to be false - so while he acknowledged saying it, Muhammad (the target of the slur) forgave him publicly, he apologized immediately, and there was certainly no viral internet video watched by tens of millions.

He was also a known drunken degenerate, and played in Carolina, a few years in as an expansion team. Certainly the video of Cooper is more damning than a report that he said it, and he plays in Philly, where the national media circles like vultures looking to trash us.

For one The media and in the big picture spying is more of an issue than anything else. Remember , it was a God send for Tebow to even be signed this season and why didnt even the shittiest of teams want him ?

We are talking about a loudmouth getting caught being a loudmouth around a trigger issue after the Zimmerman verdict. Yet murders go down involving NFL players and a host of other offenses that I reckon don't get shown on video because it they were the person who filmed it would end up getting the shit kicked out of them if not eventually being killed in a drive by. Lets be real here , bad behavior and the iron grid seem to go hand in hand. War isnt pretty and neither is NFL ball or College ball , or the parties after college ball . There are the ones who rise above it and that is what makes the sport great. The press has a field day catching whoever they catch shooting their mouth off. Loudmouths are offensive by nature I think we can all agree on that .

The Niners have an occasional player say things about homosexuals ........ another trigger issue and seeing there was talk about players coming out ...... more messes to deal with will be served up unless the NFL completely controls players . I see things to a certain extent coming unhinged as far as the NFL Image goes. Scapegoating Cooper only makes it worse considering all of the ugly being played down. House Of Pain , I hear you on the press waiting to trash the Eagles , all I can say is it could be worse , you could be a Raider fan . laugh.gif The Raiders have been in the dregs for quite awhile .

One last thing about the press coverage , all the hype no matter what the news story really is starting to sound the same be it sports , business , politics , terror , everything sounds homogenized. It would be nice to hear the press report the news instead of tell me how I should feel and think especially when so much of it is trivial BS.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 3 2013, 03:36 PM) *
I never said it did. I'm pointing out that an obscure white 4th string receiver on a 4-12 team just became a household name, while a prominent, obviously racist black Congressman uttering remarks targeting people based on the color of their skin is business as usual. It might help prevent further incidents such as Cooper's if the given example resulted in some kind of inconvenience for Rangel, much less a national news story.

Agreed
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 3 2013, 11:32 AM) *
IMO, both races would do well to listen to it and remember what the word meant.

What it "meant" is better left in the past. Giving that kind of power to a word is silly.
Zero
QUOTE (Bez @ Aug 3 2013, 04:46 PM) *
It would be nice to hear the press report the news instead of tell me how I should feel and think especially when so much of it is trivial BS.

All praise Bez! biggrin.gif

Well said, Bez!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 3 2013, 04:29 PM) *
Doubt it. Saying opposing members of Congress are "Crackers" (as in the white slave masters who "cracked" the whip over slaves backs) just isn't a racist remark in the year 2013.

While inconsistencies can be frustrating, pointing out other wrongs doesn't make Cooper right, or less wrong for that matter. Cooper was wrong and needs to right the ship.

Nothing will make what Cooper did "right." It was and is wrong. But just as in most things, determining a wrong is only half the battle and not even close to being the important part.

How does society put a stop to racism when some are permitted to be racist publicly and others are punished for it? Selective enforcement doesn't work. Our leaders, our friends and our music culture teach us something is acceptable and when we do the same we are attacked. Dawk admitted the word is used in the locker room. By whom?

This is what the media needs to be focusing on but they either are too stupid, afraid or have a different agenda. If George Zimmerman had a racist past they would have been relentless in describing all the details but they're not telling that story because the facts are quite different. The Cooper incident could be used in conjunction with the Rangel incident as a way to educate society on what is bad behavior.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 4 2013, 02:44 AM) *
What it "meant" is better left in the past. Giving that kind of power to a word is silly.

Yup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.