Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plan to Move the Phillies Forward
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Well, at least they left no doubt about buy or sell.

But here's the deal, I think they need to get back into the running NEXT year. $175M payroll teams like us the Sox and the Yanks don't need to wait on a five year plan.

In that regard, here's what I do:

Trade Michael Young which reduces our next year payroll by $16M

Trade Pappelbon, hopefully his recent performances and mouth didn't kill the market, that saves $13M

Cut McDonald, Lannan, D. Young and Valdez, low budget moves but saves 5.25M

Resign Doc, assuming he shows something, to $10M per year with upside options, will save $10M base over this year.

Resign Ruiz or another rcatcher for $3M per year which is $2M cheaper than his current $5M deal. I'm not married to Chooch, but we have some prospects in the wings so let him or someone else share time until then.

Re-sign Chase Utley to a $12M deal, which will save $3M over his current $15M per year.

Bring up Asche to play 3B with Frandsen, platoon if need be.
Bring up either Galvis or hernandez to give you more than McDonald did at a cheaper price.

After all of this, I have $40.25M to spend to improve my team so that we compete next year. I need:

A closer
a RF of upper mid level starting quality.
2 relief pitchers that are a significant upgrade over what I have this year.

Need four guys. Even if you assume I get no major league ready ball players for Young and Pappelbon, we will have NO problem filling those needs with $40M. If Ruben can get any of those in the two trades, better yet.

Rotation
Lee, Hamels, Doc, Kendrick, Petibone
Closer - FA TBD
Setups, late innings guys - Bastardo + 2 TBD

1. CF - Revere
2. 2B - Utley
3. RF - Brown
4. 1B - Howard
5. LF - FA TBD
6. 3B - Asche
7. SS - Rollins
8. C - Ruiz/TBD or Kratz
Top Bench = Ruf, Frandsen
End of Bench = Mayberry, Hernandez/Galvis

With $40M, we could even upgrade C spot if we wanted.

Point is, this year is over, but next year isn't. $175M payroll cures a lot of ills.

JaxEagle
Mikey (and RF Fan),

First of all, I am not going to say I told you so about my preseason prognostication on this team.

I like your plan. I want a solid or better defensive 3rd basemen, but if Asche is that then I am ok with it. Frandsen has to get more at bats but he has to play in calculated spots. His defense is not good and his offense isn't good enough to get many AB's at 1st base.
Zero
This is assuming that money will be enough to attract the talent.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 30 2013, 04:56 PM) *
Well, at least they left no doubt about buy or sell.

Did they? Michael Young has veto power, Jimmy Rollins has veto power, nobody wants Ruiz, D. Young, or Papelbon, nobody will make a good enough offer for Lee, Brown is untouchable, and Utley will retire as a Phillie.

I'm hearing rumors we're trying to move Bastardo, which may be the only guy anyone wants - and he won't fetch much.

There's a real chance we could wake up tomorrow with the same exact goddam team. I wouldn't mind them buying, and I wouldn't mind them selling, but I don't think we're doing ANYTHING.

RAJ is an absolute disgrace as a general manager - anyone can write $100 million checks, but it takes someone competent to keep a team competitive, regardless of payroll.

*edit - and for the record, I don't know why you would cut Lannan. I trust him on the mound right now more than Hamels, would you disagree?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jul 31 2013, 08:58 AM) *
RAJ is an absolute disgrace as a general manager - anyone can write $100 million checks, but it takes someone competent to keep a team competitive, regardless of payroll.

Yep - getting rid of RAJ is step number one towards turning this team around. As long as he's making the personnel decisions, we're going to be dog shit.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jul 31 2013, 08:58 AM) *
Did they? Michael Young has veto power, Jimmy Rollins has veto power, nobody wants Ruiz, D. Young, or Papelbon, nobody will make a good enough offer for Lee, Brown is untouchable, and Utley will retire as a Phillie.

I'm hearing rumors we're trying to move Bastardo, which may be the only guy anyone wants - and he won't fetch much.

There's a real chance we could wake up tomorrow with the same exact goddam team. I wouldn't mind them buying, and I wouldn't mind them selling, but I don't think we're doing ANYTHING.

*edit - and for the record, I don't know why you would cut Lannan. I trust him on the mound right now more than Hamels, would you disagree?

Don't agree on Lannan. As of now, Hamels has a 4.09 ERA vs. Lannan 4.10.

Hamels has a WHIP of 1.25 vs. Lannan 1.35.

This season is par for the course for Lannan but an outlier for Hamels.

No, I do not have confidence in Lannan. If you want him instead of Pettibone, I could be OK with that.

Hamels needs to pitch much better. I don't concern myself with his W-L's just his ERA. He hasn't pitched well and needs to improve. Watching him this year, since he has solved his early season uncharacteristic wildness, it is almost laughable how much fluke shit has happened to him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.