Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "... we're moving in that direction"
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
"I would be a bad coach if I said, 'We have to do this,' and the guys can't do it. So we're moving in that direction [3 - 4], and I'm not making a secret about that, but where we stop for this season will be predicated on the skill set."

I have to say, this is refreshing. I had grown very tired of Andy's propensity to force players' into a set, predetermined scheme. This team may not be as successful as Andy's teams were, but I like this change.

Link ...
Zero
Ted Williams addresses the same sort of concept from an offensive perspective:
“The West Coast offense, while expansive, is a concept offense,” he said. “And it’s really based upon pieces fitting into concepts. And if you don’t fit in the correct position in a concept, the concept gets lost. And so consequently, I don’t want to say restrictive, but more demanding to confront.

“This offense is just not like that. There is some regimented, there is some principles in terms of how you do what you do. But there’s also some flexibility. If you see this, here’s what your option is. If you see something else, here’s what your option is. The West Coast offense wasn’t designed that way. From the Paul Brown era, the Bill Walsh era, they knew what they wanted, and they wanted it a certain way.”

Link ...
TGryn
...but what Williams said earlier in that article goes against the we're-flexible-to-an-extreme hypothesis:
“I don’t think that anything’s going to change from what he knows,” Williams said. “It’ll be very, very similar to what you saw at Oregon because the play-calling… he needs to be comfortable with what he’s saying to the offense and how he’s communicating it. So you don’t just out of the box decide that you’re going to do something a certain way and you don’t feel comfortable with it. So it’s going to look like Oregon.”

Also, from the end:
There is some regimented, there is some principles in terms of how you do what you do. But there’s also some flexibility. If you see this, here’s what your option is. If you see something else, here’s what your option is. The West Coast offense wasn’t designed that way. From the Paul Brown era, the Bill Walsh era, they knew what they wanted, and they wanted it a certain way.”

...which sounds closer to the Air Coryell way of having receivers adapt their routes to what the coverage is. That sounds great, but if the QBs and receivers aren't reading and adapting the same way every single time, it can also be an interception machine when the WR goes one way and the QB throws it instead to where he thought the wideout was going. I think that's part of what doomed Freddie Mitchell's NFL career, in that he always wanted to freelance to get open and was never where the QB expected him to be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.