Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Training Camp Excitement
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
canadianeagle
I have to say I am really pumped to see lot of the new Eagles in camp this year. While much is being made of Johnson and Barkley, I'm really looking forward to seeing two guys in particular play.

James Casey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7PCD-Avwk&safe=active

I have to admit, I thought this signing was a bit overkill. After, watching some highlights though, I think Kelly just might know what he's doing. A few things really impress me about Casey; For his size (245) he is incredibly fast and elusive (Check out .59 of the clip). He also seems to have a very good awareness of where the first down marker is.

If you think about situations where Kelly might put Casey/McCoy or Brown in the backfield, Celek or Ertz at TE, Jackson, Maclin and D. Johnson at WR and add in L. Johnson, Peters, and Kelce 2nd level blocking abilities and this could be a very difficult offense to stop. Can anyone remember an offense built with this much speed?

Jordan Poyer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbwXnrrN3Ws&safe=active

Another guy that I did not know much about who some so-called pundits have said was a steal in the 7th. I know highlights rarely show flaws but Poyer sure seems to love contact. I'm not sure he can every be a starting DB but I would think he could push Boykin for the job. With the Eagles signings of Chung, Fletcher and Williams it seems like they have put together a secondary who can actually tackle.

Damn it feels good to have football back.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Jul 23 2013, 04:13 PM) *
I have to say I am really pumped to see lot of the new Eagles in camp this year. While much is being made of Johnson and Barkley, I'm really looking forward to seeing two guys in particular play.

James Casey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7PCD-Avwk&safe=active

I have to admit, I thought this signing was a bit overkill. After, watching some highlights though, I think Kelly might just might know what he's doing. A few things really impress me about Casey; For his size (245) he is incredibly fast and elusive (Check out .59 of the clip). He also seems to have a very good awareness of where the first down marker is.

If you think about situations where Kelly might put Casey/McCoy or Brown in the backfield, Celek or Ertz at TE, Jackson, Maclin and D. Johnson at WR and add in L. Johnson, Peters, and Kelce 2nd level blocking abilities and this could be a very difficult offense to stop. Can anyone remember an offense built with this much speed?

Jordan Poyer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbwXnrrN3Ws&safe=active

Another guy that I did not know much about who some so-called pundits have said was a steal in the 7th. I know highlights rarely show flaws but Poyer sure seems to love contact. I'm not sure he can every be a starting DB but I would think he could push Boykin for the job. With the Eagles signings of Chung, Fletcher and Williams is seems like they have put together a secondary who can actually tackle.

Damn it feels good to have football back.

Great points, especially about Casey!
HOUSEoPAIN
For the first time in what seems like forever:

-The entire stadium will not be able to call our offensive plays before they happen

-We will have a coach who presumably understands how a clock works

-We will not have a 70-80% pass to run ratio

-When we have a lead, we won't go 3-and-out on pass plays

-We will have entertaining post-game interviews

GO EAGLES!
TGryn
One thing that I am very much looking forward to this preseason is seeing how we're going to use all the TEs we now have. It always seemed to me that whenever we threw a lot to the TEs, we won the game. Now, there's a chicken-and-egg thing going on with that: if you can send the TE out on pass patterns, that usually means the OL is handling the DL and blitzers well enough that you don't need to keep in the TE (and RBs) to help out.

At the same time, we've seen New England over time change to a pass attack that's has the TEs as their #1 pass target (though how that will change with Hernandez in jail and Gronkowski recovering from injury remains to be seen), and we also saw O'Brien export that to Penn State's offense last year. By signing Casey and drafting Ertz to add to an already decent TE cast with Celek and Harbor*, we're set to make TE a similar focus in the offense, though like everything else how that will actually play out is still a mystery. I just hope all the guys make it through camp healthy so we can see what Kelly has in mind.

* - though reports of Harbor playing OLB in workouts doesn't bode too well for his chances at TE. Coaches normally don't do that unless the guy isn't in their plans at his original position.
canadianeagle
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jul 25 2013, 09:33 AM) *
One thing that I am very much looking forward to this preseason is seeing how we're going to use all the TEs we now have. It always seemed to me that whenever we threw a lot to the TEs, we won the game. Now, there's a chicken-and-egg thing going on with that: if you can send the TE out on pass patterns, that usually means the OL is handling the DL and blitzers well enough that you don't need to keep in the TE (and RBs) to help out.

At the same time, we've seen New England over time change to a pass attack that's has the TEs as their #1 pass target (though how that will change with Hernandez in jail and Gronkowski recovering from injury remains to be seen), and we also saw O'Brien export that to Penn State's offense last year. By signing Casey and drafting Ertz to add to an already decent TE cast with Celek and Harbor*, we're set to make TE a similar focus in the offense, though like everything else how that will actually play out is still a mystery. I just hope all the guys make it through camp healthy so we can see what Kelly has in mind.

* - though reports of Harbor playing OLB in workouts doesn't bode too well for his chances at TE. Coaches normally don't do that unless the guy isn't in their plans at his original position.

I also wonder how Kelly will use the TE's. Do you think he had any influence with the way NE began using their TE's. NE has only been running that system of multiple TE's for about 3 years. I know Kelly did some consulting work with NE. Just a thought
JaxEagle
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Jul 25 2013, 04:00 PM) *
I also wonder how Kelly will use the TE's. Do you think he had any influence with the way NE began using their TE's. NE has only been running that system of multiple TE's for about 3 years. I know Kelly did some consulting work with NE. Just a thought

For sure he did. Give Belichick credit for one thing for sure. He has listened to other great minds. He used to meet with Steve Spurrier and also with Urban Meyer. He has used pieces of all of those systems. New England also used some Wildcat with one of their running backs a few years ago.
SLOiggles
Anyone on the board going to be attending any of the possible camp dates?

Optimistic hopes that us out of towners can get some good info from youse guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.