Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: People Have it Wrong About Barkley
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
"Barkley is Chip's QB"

Yes, Chip drafted him.

In the 4th round.

While he was projected to go mid 1st-early 2nd. Say he wanted him as HIS QB. He wasn't rated high enough to warrant the 1st round pick so OK we skip him there.

Now we're into the 2nd round. If he was HIS QB, he would have picked him there. It was in the early 2nd, a spot were value boards had him going. But we skip him there.

Now we're into the early 3rd round and he's STILL there. If he was by any stretch HIS QB, he would have never let him go undrafted with our 3rd round pick. NEVER. There was no reasonable way to think that Barkley would still be there in the 4th round. After the draft paused after the 3rd round, we regrouped and rightfully figured that a QB rated mid 1st to early 2nd was worth the late 7th to move up a few spots to grab him. He was never Chip's starting QB. If he had any visions of that, he would have picked him earlier than the 4th. He was a value pick. He is married to him as any coach is married to a QB with backup expectations. Not saying Barkley was not a good pick as a 4th rounder, I think he was excellent value there. Good pick, with backup expectations.

Now as far as Barkley competing for the starters job, I say go for it and Chip would be wise to give him a shot. Why the brash, confident rhetoric from Barkley? Easy. He was always better than Foles in the same conference. And he watched last year as a QB he knows he's better than, outplayed the veteran Vick, despite playing with a lot fewer starters than Vick played with. Barkley considers himself better than the guy who played better than the other guy. He should consider himself qualified to compete for the job.

This QB competition should be real fun to watch!!
Bez
My brother in law walked in the front door with a USC sweat jacket on. Agh..... Comparing Foles and the Wildcats to USC isnt really being fair. Try having put Barlkly in AZ and Foles at USC and I suspect you would have seen a much more successful USC team. Yeah , I am biased , and I wont bet on it , but Barkley doesn't come across as the Boy King he still seems to think he is as far as I am concerned. He was given as much help along the way getting stroked as a player could have. That can play out in a number of Karmic ways once someone is in the NFL . As far as Pac 12 teams go you will find USC and Stanford and now the Ducks being showered by the the Commentators . USC has a long standing reputation to feed it . You can thank the owner of Nike for being part of the draw to Stanford and the Eugene. Now the Ducks fans are starting to act like assholes too. cool.gif

None the less ....... What ever happens I hope to see the Winghead community in better spirits with a much improved team and season. It hasn't been much fun around here for awhile.
canadianeagle
While I agree, I also think that the goal of the FO for this draft was to rebuild the defense with as many 3-4 guys as possible. They also had the chance to get Geno at a steal as well. I wonder if they just did not like those guys at that point in the draft or if they felt they had to go with the bigger position need.

Either way, I have not been this excited to see a rookie Eagle QB since McNabb.
JaxEagle
Mikey, it will be fun to watch but the indirect logic of Barkley in your post doesn't carry any weight with me. May the best QB win, however I am for some reason pulling for Foles. Not sure why exactly. I just want us to have the best QB we can have.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Bez @ Jul 23 2013, 01:00 AM) *
My brother in law walked in the front door with a USC sweat jacket on. Agh..... Comparing Foles and the Wildcats to USC isnt really being fair. Try having put Barlkly in AZ and Foles at USC and I suspect you would have seen a much more successful USC team. Yeah , I am biased , and I wont bet on it , but Barkley doesn't come across as the Boy King he still seems to think he is as far as I am concerned. He was given as much help along the way getting stroked as a player could have. That can play out in a number of Karmic ways once someone is in the NFL . As far as Pac 12 teams go you will find USC and Stanford and now the Ducks being showered by the the Commentators . USC has a long standing reputation to feed it . You can thank the owner of Nike for being part of the draw to Stanford and the Eugene. Now the Ducks fans are starting to act like assholes too. cool.gif

None the less ....... What ever happens I hope to see the Winghead community in better spirits with a much improved team and season. It hasn't been much fun around here for awhile.

Right on Bez.

By the way, I urge you to please resume signing off on your posts in the tradition that many of us long time Wingheads came to enjoy from you. Peace.Bez
JaxEagle
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Jul 23 2013, 03:48 PM) *
While I agree, I also think that the goal of the FO for this draft was to rebuild the defense with as many 3-4 guys as possible. They also had the chance to get Geno at a steal as well. I wonder if they just did not like those guys at that point in the draft or if they felt they had to go with the bigger position need.

Either way, I have not been this excited to see a rookie Eagle QB since McNabb.

And in a sense it feels like all 3 of them are rookies. TC should be fun. I have tix to Preseason Game 3 here in Jax. That's the game where it all may be decided in terms of who our starter is week 1.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.