Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fwd: How Chip Kelly loses
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn
Interesting short series on the weak points of Kelly's Oregon offense, and gives us some things to look for in the preseason:

http://www.eaglesgab.com/2013/07/07/how-chip-kelly-loses/
http://www.eaglesgab.com/2013/07/08/how-ch...-loses-part-ii/
Excerpts:
The most alarming aspect of the Oregon offense was the absence of an intermediate passing game. The offense consisted almost entirely of runs, receiver screens, and long play action passes. In the NFL, Chip Kelly will need to challenge defenses vertically in order to deter them from crowding the line of scrimmage. He will also need to incorporate much higher percentage throws than deep posts off of play fakes. Oregon showed almost no straight drop back passes. Kelly’s entire passing game is predicated on the run game, which could spell disaster in long yardage situations and 2-minute drills.
While nobody knows how much the Eagles will look like Oregon’s offense, Kelly has said that he plans to push the tempo in the NFL much like he did at Oregon. As New England and Denver found out last season, a hurry-up approach certainly has its merits, but it also figures to put a lot of pressure on a defense that won’t be very good.
Apart from the inside zone read, the Oregon offense was far too east-and-west for my liking. In the NFL, teams generally run the ball best from under center instead of out of the shotgun. While the zone blocking scheme that has worked so well in the NFL hinges on stretching the defense laterally (as Oregon’s zone blocking scheme does), NFL running backs are generally much more decisive and disciplined in their cuts. Oregon backs often tried to bounce every run to the sidelines against tougher competition, and at the NFL and elite college levels, defensive athletes are simply too fast for that.
In the passing game, Chip Kelly only knows the play action fake and the receiver screen. Of the two, the only high percentage throw is the screen. Unfortunately, the smoke/tunnel/bubble screen will be the easiest play for NFL defenses to take away from him.
While his zone read plays are designed to go to the running back and not a true option play, the success of play still hinges on an athletic quarterback. Oregon often reads a weak side defender, hoping that the defender will honor the quarterback’s threat to run. Though Kelly insists that he can win with Nick Foles or Matt Barkley at the helm, it’s unlikely that defenses will respect them as runners.
The Eagles must develop some semblance of a short-to-intermediate passing game that can keep the chains moving. Without it, the team will have to overcome lots of incomplete passes and negative runs that will make it very tough to sustain drives. Kelly must also play at a very deliberate tempo, ensuring that he does not expose his defense. Most of all, he must recognize what elements of his Oregon playbook will carry over to the pro game and consider incorporating more pro-style concepts into his playbook.
HobbEs
Where's D Rock when you need him? Okay, I'll say it...that article is garbage! blah.gif

For one, it's been talked about ad nauseum that Kelly won't be running the same offense as he did at Oregon. Also, one of the reasons Kelly hired Shurmer is to implement the WCO passing scheme. Along with the play action and receiver screens we should see the staple slant and the short/medium routes that made the WCO famous. (No, not Andy's bastardization of it).

And the last thing that this article fails to mention is that Chip may not even be calling the plays! I've read that he's involved with both sides of the ball on game day. At this level he may delegate play calling to his offensive coordinator (what a novel concept). This is just the typical trash you get at this time of year. It's okay...training camp starts soon.
Dreagon
The problem with articles like this is they set a potentially false base for fans to get dejected about if the first year coach doesn't immediately set the team on a winning course. More often than not, first year coaches have terrible seasons but it's usually because they have taken over teams that need a lot of work and they are essentially starting over. The fanbase needs to understand this going in, and articles like this only serve to make that harder.
Zero
Has anyone else ever marveled at how we are honored with possibly the only intelligent Cowboy fan on the planet? biggrin.gif
HobbEs
Has anyone else ever marveled at how we are honored with possibly the only intelligent Cowboy fan on the planet?

Yes, I for one am glad he's here. He's blended in seamlessly...almost like he's a spy. ph34r.gif Hey, wait a minute...

BTW isn't Bez a KC fan? I thought we had one of those here as well.
TGryn
Interesting how Kelly's offense is something of a "tabula rasa" right now, where everyone sees what they want to see. Tired of Reid's pass-heavy offense? No problem, Kelly's going to be using a ground-pound heavy run offense. Did you like what he did at Oregon? He's bringing that with him. Want a more traditional WCO? That's what Shurmur's going to be running. Pistol concepts? That's in the new system. Drop-back passing? Lots of that in the new offense.

Preseason's going to be fun, just to see what actually happens. I really hope Kelly isn't going to be trying to use all of the above in his offense, because usually being an octopus with bunches of different ideas end up with a mess where the players can't execute any one of them well.
HobbEs
It's fun to sit here and guess at what he's going to do.

Here's an off the wall question: how many supposed offensive geniuses actually became better known for the play of their defense? Brian Billick comes to mind. He was an offensive mastermind with the Vikes. When he took over the Ravens their offense was pedestrian but the defense was great.
nephillymike

Well, we should never get a delay of game penalty nor cries from me about running the damn ball.

It is going to be interesting.

Can't wait.
TGryn
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 10 2013, 01:57 PM) *
Can't wait.

Dreagon
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jul 10 2013, 08:27 AM) *
Yes, I for one am glad he's here. He's blended in seamlessly...almost like he's a spy. ph34r.gif Hey, wait a minute...

I'm just here for the cheesesteak ph34r.gif
Bez
I vote we change the team's name to Dreagan's Cowboys and the star into a celtic/nordic looking thing . That would be too cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.