Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Summarizing 76ers Draft Day Picks and Trades
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
After all the dust had cleared here is what the Sixers did last night:

They started the night with Jrue Holliday, a peripheral All-Star (made it last year with a few injuries to Eastern PG's). They also owned the 11th pick and the 35th picks overall in last night's draft.
After all the trades and maneuvering, here's what we ended up with:

We gave up Holliday and his talent.

We got back his $40M of cap space

We got the 6th pick in last night, Nerlins Noel, a C from Kentucky, who many had as being the ##1 overall pre knee injury.

We got the 11th pick, a 6-6 PG from Syracuse, Michael Carter Williams. A great distributor, good defense, good to the hoop can't shoot type.

We got the 54th pick, F Arselan Kazemi, a rebounding 6-7 forward from Oregon via Iran.

We got New Orleans' 2014 1st round pick which should be a lottery pick. It is protected if N.O gets the 1st-3rd picks in next years lottery. (Protected means they don't have to give it up to us that year). If NO is true to form, that pick should be a lottery pick somewhere around 6-11.

We got Brooklyn's 2014 2nd round pick and Houston's 2014 2nd round pick. They finished 9th best and 11th best this year, so look for those to be in the lower half of the 2nd round.

We still have our 1st and 2nd round picks next year. We should be horrible and might have a top three pick on our own merit.

All in all, looks like an impressive start to the necessary overhaul.

Maybe that numbers guy has a clue after all.
Zero
What's the word on Noel and his injury? I read something that NO didn't think he'd ever recover to form.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 29 2013, 05:16 AM) *
What's the word on Noel and his injury? I read something that NO didn't think he'd ever recover to form.

It's an ACL which is not a degenerative or chronic injury. Plenty of athletes recover from this nowadays and I'd imagine as common as it is, there were probably a few other drafted players who has them in their career. But you never know with Sixers and knew injuries to big men..............
Zero
If NO gets pick #4 next year does it go to the Sixers or is it any lottery pick?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 29 2013, 05:40 AM) *
If NO gets pick #4 next year does it go to the Sixers or is it any lottery pick?

It goes to the Sixers unless it is the #1, #2, or #3 pick. If it is #4 or below, it goes to the Sixers
Zero
It looks like the Sixers are doing what needs to be done in a crazy NBA to really improve. Take a risk, commit to the future and sacrifice the present. They may stink next year but if they get two lottery picks in a year that's supposed to offer a deep, talented draft it should prove to be worth the price of admission. Especially if these two/three young guys pan out.
nephillymike
What I don't understand about the NBA is that you can't announce draft day trades or talk about them until weeks later.

So you have Noel, drafted by N.O., wearing their hat going thru the motions and nobody on the Sixers can talk about it.

Why not just announce the trade of the pick that night and have him wear the Sixers hat and have the buzz of the discussion that happens in the NFL??

Doesn't make sense to me.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 29 2013, 09:09 AM) *
It looks like the Sixers are doing what needs to be done in a crazy NBA to really improve. Take a risk, commit to the future and sacrifice the present. They may stink next year but if they get two lottery picks in a year that's supposed to offer a deep, talented draft it should prove to be worth the price of admission. Especially if these two/three young guys pan out.

I don't fully understand the NBA draft system, but I know one thing is for sure - in this league, you either contend for a title (5-6 teams), you completely tank it and try to rebuild via the draft (5-6 teams), or you accept perpetual mediocrity, finishing as the lower playoff seeds, where you get annihilated by the Heat, and repeat next year. At least we're trying to get back to contention. For a lesson in how this is done, look at Boston years ago, and look at what they just did blowing up their team - they are going to have something like 9 first round picks in the next few years, and you better believe the Celtics are going to have another few titles a few years down the road.
TGryn
Agree with one of the WIP hosts that even with Holliday becoming the best player he could, they weren't going to be catching the Heat during the next couple of years - that possibility went away with Bynam's knee health. So instead of paddling around in mediocrity, you take a chance on Noel's health while maximizing the number of pingpong balls in next year's lottery. May not work, but its not like we were on the fast track to anywhere as it stood.

I also have to say that I really missed what Andre Miller brought to the team after we let him leave, and Carter-Williams sounds like a guy more in the Miller style of a "pure" PG who creates the offense and distributes the ball rather than being the guy expected to score a lot himself.

I also like getting more 2nd round picks. I think you get starters with the 1sts, but build bench depth with 2nds if you're smart about how you use them. If you have good bench depth, that can cover for a lot of deficiencies as the season goes along, especially if you don't have a top-line starting unit like the Heat where you can just pummel the other team with your top three guys usually scoring 20+ every game.
HobbEs
The key part of the deal was getting a pick in next year's draft. It is supposed to be one of the deepest in years. Two blue chip players will go a long way in helping to rebuild the roster.

One of the things to be wary of is that we owe the Heat our 1st next year. It's lottery protected (and it's a given that we're going to suck) but acquiring NO's pick was huge.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jul 1 2013, 08:26 AM) *
The key part of the deal was getting a pick in next year's draft. It is supposed to be one of the deepest in years. Two blue chip players will go a long way in helping to rebuild the roster.

One of the things to be wary of is that we owe the Heat our 1st next year. It's lottery protected (and it's a given that we're going to suck) but acquiring NO's pick was huge.

Why do we owe the Heat our 1st rounder??

I was looking into how that "lottery protected" tag works. If I read it right, if a team is continuously in the lottery, it can result in just switching to a few 2nd round picks in the later years, which really sucks for the team that was supposed to get the pick.

The NBA is a strange league.
GQSmooth
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 29 2013, 08:50 AM) *
It goes to the Sixers unless it is the #1, #2, or #3 pick. If it is #4 or below, it goes to the Sixers

It's actually lottery protected for a top 5 pick. As long as Pelicans don't get a top 5 pick it belongs to Sixers. The Sixers don't own their 2014 pick unless it is a lottery pick as they traded it to obtain Moultrie.

I thought the moves were awesome. NBA draft makes you appreciate the NFL draft because there was so much misinformation going around. Initially the thinking was Sixers traded Jrue and 2014#1 pick for Noel. Than in the second round it was like day trading, could not figure out what the Sixers had done until the next day.

Unfortunately it looks as though Sixers will be competing with Celtics for the 'suck for Wiggins' award. Just on the limited videos I've seen on youtube looks like one of the best recruits in years. My only question is the level of competition he was competing against. Was Wiggins that good or was the competition level that poor. He looked like a men among boys. I will try and watch a lot of Kansas games to get a better idea of his skill level. But that said I am a lot more excited about the Sixers future than I have been in years.
nephillymike
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Jul 1 2013, 10:15 AM) *
It's actually lottery protected for a top 5 pick. As long as Pelicans don't get a top 5 pick it belongs to Sixers. The Sixers don't own their 2014 pick unless it is a lottery pick as they traded it to obtain Moultrie.

I thought the moves were awesome. NBA draft makes you appreciate the NFL draft because there was so much misinformation going around. Initially the thinking was Sixers traded Jrue and 2014#1 pick for Noel. Than in the second round it was like day trading, could not figure out what the Sixers had done until the next day.

Unfortunately it looks as though Sixers will be competing with Celtics for the 'suck for Wiggins' award. Just on the limited videos I've seen on youtube looks like one of the best recruits in years. My only question is the level of competition he was competing against. Was Wiggins that good or was the competition level that poor. He looked like a men among boys. I will try and watch a lot of Kansas games to get a better idea of his skill level. But that said I am a lot more excited about the Sixers future than I have been in years.

Talk about bad information. I look up now and I see it's top five protected as you say. When I wrote the OP, I saw that it was top three protected. I forget the source that had it top three. It doesn't seem to make sense not having a formal announcement at the time like the NFL does.
TGryn
I've found this site to be useful:
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/baske...uture/76ers.htm
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/baske...Years/index.htm
Unfortunately it doesn't have many of the draft day trades in, since they're not "official" yet as Mike said.
HobbEs
Wiggins isn't the only prize in next year's draft. There's also Aaron Gordon, Julius Randle and the Harrison twins. And guys who could've come out this year but stayed in school could go very high as well (think Marcus Smart and Glenn Robinson III).

Also, listening to Sonny Hill the other morning he said he didn't think Wiggins was 'special'. He said he saw him in the McDonald's All American game and he didn't do much to distinguish himself from the rest of the kids. Maybe there's other guys who are just as good?

Anyway, this is going to be a good draft to have multiple picks in.
nephillymike
Here's the thing.

If the draft is that good next year, don't you think that N.O is going to tank it next year to get a shot at the top five number of ping pong balls, therefore making our pick useless for another year??

We may get a high pick on our own futility, but hopefully we'll get the #6 from N.O.

I wonder how the top six next year rate vs. the top six this year.
GQSmooth
It would be hard for New Orleans to outtank Philly, Boston and Charlotte.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.