Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Utley is Back
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Jax,

Tape up the ankle and hop back on board!!
JaxEagle
Lol Mikey - I love it!

I will try to tape it up and jump back on board! However, our comeback will be about as likely as finding a needle in a haystack. I assume you saw Papelbon gag the 3rd out of his last 4 chances.

Kevin Frandsen has probably been our MVP in the last month or so.

Jax
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Jun 23 2013, 09:28 AM) *
Lol Mikey - I love it!

I will try to tape it up and jump back on board! However, our comeback will be about as likely as finding a needle in a haystack. I assume you saw Papelbon gag the 3rd out of his last 4 chances.

Kevin Frandsen has probably been our MVP in the last month or so.

Jax

Honestly, when Pettibone left at the start of the 7th, with a 7-1 lead, did ANYONE feel safe? Our bullpen is a disgrace.
nephillymike
They need to get us to training camp with a prayer of making the playoffs or I'll go nuts!!

This city's sports have really sucked as of late and we need a shot of juice and right now the Phils are our only chance until camp begins.

As of right now, we're 6.5 out of the division, 7.5 out of the wild card and believe it or not, only 2.5 out of the top non playoff spot (ie 6th place in the NL). I know that's no great shakes by any stretch, but it amazes me how as shitty as they've played, they still have a shot.

I could write a book of my frustrations with the team, the coaching, the scouting and the front office. If they had lost that game yesterday, I think my TV would be smashed and in the trash today, but thankfully they didn't. Here is the forward to my book below!!

I heard Didinger and Mac Now yesterday AM on the radio debating the three people/players responsible for the sub par play. I'll give you my top eight (or should it be bottom eight?)

8. Jimmy Rollins - his continuous lack of hustle portrays the I don't care attitude that should be extinct on a team fighting for a last chance playoff drive. Every time he dogs it, I'd take him out of the game. He shows up Charlie every time he does it and shows the fans he doesn't give a fuck. When asked, I'd say he looked tired so I took him out.

7. Charlie - his loyalty has become an impediment. He needs to play whoever plays best and forget about what they did in the past. What have you done for me lately (as in the last two years!). We've seen enough of these guys to know what changes are needed. I'm beginning to think that he's made up his mind that he would rather lose with "his" guys than to win with a mixture of old and new. His decisions sometimes baffle. The latest? The brought back Hamels to pitch on his normal five day rest Friday, but didn't do the same for Lee. They could have held Pettibone off until Monday, and used him for an inning or two of relief these last few days. We're so good we don't need Lee for an extra start or two this season?? As for the lineup, a few things. #1 I play Mayberry and Frandsen against every left hander and sit Utley and Howard against most of them. Howard's .567 and Utley's .524 OPS against LH is anemic as compared to Mayberry's .862 and Frandsen's 1.135. Lifetime their stats vs. LH as way above Utley's and Howards. I know it's a lot of money on the bench, but I'm paid to win. #2. Mayberry and Nix replace Young in RF. Young blows. Mayberry's career stats are better and he runs better and is way better defensively. NIx hits RHP better than Delmon Young. #3. Galvis goes in as a defensive replacement for Michael Young in every game we have a lead going into the 8th. M. Young sucks at 3B, and as an older player, will likely wilt more on defense as he tires as the season goes on. These are just a few of the basic easy to see changes that should be made by a manager who want to win at all costs vs. living or dying with his guys. Also, his background and that of his TWO hitting coaches is hitting. This team's approach to hitting absolutely sucks. They cannot work a count. They do not learn from watching how pitchers pitch them. It is ground hogs day over and over with this bunch. That's coaching and accountability. Howard hasn't figured out that almost every pitch that spins is a ball. My college coach had a saying. If old dogs can't learn new tricks, then it's time to get new dogs.

#6. Scouting Department. They have cultivated shit for six years. Including the guys that they traded away in all the trades and the ones they got back in trades plus all their draft picks of the last five years, they have produced one good ML baseball player, that being Brown, and it is too early to give them full credit for that. They have been horrible and someone needs to pay for it. They can't even produce a 6th or 7th inning guy for crying out loud!!

#5. Ruben Amaro. What's troubling me now, is that he seems to be in cover your ass mode. Latest example is their decision to bring up JC Ramirez and his 6.5 reliever ERA and his 1.95 reliever WHIP both which are horrendous. He sucked last year and the year before that if you're wondering. Why promote him? The same reason they promoted Aumont earlier. Because they were the two "studs" they got when they traded Lee inexplicably a few years ago. They've both sucked consistently. If they don't have any better than these two clowns, see #6 above. I don't fault Amaro for trading away the prospects to make the deals fro Halladay, Lee, Pence, Blanton etc. We needed to go for it and we got a ring and a runner up and a 102 game win season with some other playoff appearances. However, what he got for Pence and Victorino pales in comparison to what he gave up for Pence and others. And that's poor dealing. I would also have signed all of the deals for the players we signed. Players got to perform and Howard, Utley, Hamels haven't. This offseason "upgrades" were a joke. Revere, D. Young, Adams, Durbin. A solid F this offseason.

My philosophy is that players are paid to play and my blame game list 1-4 shows that.

#4. Chase Utley. Utley has to play like Utley. He's getting paid to play like Utley and he isn't. Players need to play and he's disappointed. He's my favorite Phil BTW.

#3. Roy Halladay. He's been hurt and his failure to deal with it in the long term interests of the team hurt us. when everyone could see the drop in mph, he and Dubee were in denial. Dealing with it earlier when everyone knew it was a problem, would have saved those ass ugly starts and would have gotten the healthy version of Roy back here 1-1/2 months earlier.

#2. Cole Hamels. Pitchers who live with a 4.50 ERA shouldn't throw stones and especially ones who are aces and paid at the top of the scale to do pitch well. Is his 2-11 record deserved? No, not all of it. Matter of fact, if you go game by game, he's had 8 starts where his ERA for that game was 3.00 or less, all worthy of wins. But he's got to suck it up. He's got to have the mirror handy and control what he can control and do what he needs to do to and STFU.

#1. Ryan Howard. He has looked better lately (yesterday) so maybe this will change quickly and I hope it does. But I wonder about his coachability. Do any of the three coaches (Charlie + two hitting coaches) not know that only 36% of the pitches thrown to Howard are strikes? Are they that ignorant? Or do they tell him that and he ignores it? Is he that stubborn? When so many of the pitches are balls, as a hitter, you can almost hit like it's a 3-0 count and look for a certain pitch in a certain spot and if it is there hit it. Instead, he flails away swing at the slop that the throw to him. I'd love to sit in on a game film coaching session with him to see what they tell him. It would be revealing. I like Howard a lot. His defense has improved (exception for the inability to throw the fucking ball 90 feet!!), he hustles all the time , he's likeable and he got off to a great start to his career. He needs to produce. He needs to learn. He needs to grow as a hitter. See old dog new trick comment above.

There.

I feel better.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 23 2013, 10:41 AM) *
Honestly, when Pettibone left at the start of the 7th, with a 7-1 lead, did ANYONE feel safe? Our bullpen is a disgrace.

When it was 7-2 and the bullpen was in there, gas cans in hand, I asked my son what the final score would be. He said 9-7 Mets, I said 7-6 Phils.

How's that for confidence??

Why not bring Zambrano up and use he or Pettibone for the 7th or 8th inning job?? Can it be any worse??

Nice to see Bastardo look good.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 23 2013, 11:59 AM) *
They need to get us to training camp with a prayer of making the playoffs or I'll go nuts!!

#1. Ryan Howard. He has looked better lately (yesterday) so maybe this will change quickly and I hope it does. But I wonder about his coachability. Do any of the three coaches (Charlie + two hitting coaches) not know that only 36% of the pitches thrown to Howard are strikes? Are they that ignorant? Or do they tell him that and he ignores it? Is he that stubborn? When so many of the pitches are balls, as a hitter, you can almost hit like it's a 3-0 count and look for a certain pitch in a certain spot and if it is there hit it. Instead, he flails away swing at the slop that the throw to him. I'd love to sit in on a game film coaching session with him to see what they tell him. It would be revealing. I like Howard a lot. His defense has improved (exception for the inability to throw the fucking ball 90 feet!!), he hustles all the time , he's likeable and he got off to a great start to his career. He needs to produce. He needs to learn. He needs to grow as a hitter. See old dog new trick comment above.

There.

I feel better.

while I agree with many of your points I have to ask if you looked at Howard's stats for June before you mentioned the word Yesterday?

I am guessing not. While he has not exactly been the power hitter he normally is he has hit well and that is the pathway to grooving your swing and hitting for power....he rarely made good contact early on and now he is and with that the long ball with come back.

I am curious on how you feel about trading Lee? I here all these idiots on the radio espousing trading him and I wonder exactly how they get their jobs. You have a team that has a payroll of 175 million,,,,,,those teams do not blow things up and rebuild for 3-4 years...those teamsgo out and buy better talent and getting rid of your best pitcher is something the Marlins do. Getting rid of Papelbon is smart because it frees up salary and he is on the downswing but Lee is top of the heap and who replaces him next year?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 23 2013, 11:56 AM) *
while I agree with many of your points I have to ask if you looked at Howard's stats for June before you mentioned the word Yesterday?

I am guessing not. While he has not exactly been the power hitter he normally is he has hit well and that is the pathway to grooving your swing and hitting for power....he rarely made good contact early on and now he is and with that the long ball with come back.

I am curious on how you feel about trading Lee? I here all these idiots on the radio espousing trading him and I wonder exactly how they get their jobs. You have a team that has a payroll of 175 million,,,,,,those teams do not blow things up and rebuild for 3-4 years...those teamsgo out and buy better talent and getting rid of your best pitcher is something the Marlins do. Getting rid of Papelbon is smart because it frees up salary and he is on the downswing but Lee is top of the heap and who replaces him next year?

Yeah, I meant recently instead of literally yesterday. He has looked better. If he comes out of it, it covers a lot of gaping holes other places.

I agree with most of your opinion of trades. 100% on Lee and the fact that 175M payroll teams don't have to rebuild in the Marlins way. We need to hold on to the players who will most help us win next year, if in fact we are out of it. Why not extend that logic to Pappelbon? If we want to win next year, I would think one of the best closers in the game is a prerequisite. No? Why even trade him. We have a multi billion dollar TV deal coming in 2015. We can buy a year for 2014, no problem. I don't trade anyone I think we need for next year. I know I'm in the minority but I don't. Where we going to get the replacements? Our horrendous farm system? The finds of our great ML scouting dept? I keep the ones who I've seen play well here and Lee an Pappelbon qualify.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 23 2013, 01:14 PM) *
I keep the ones who I've seen play well here and Lee an Pappelbon qualify.

Our farm system is a disgrace - Papelbon to the Tigers or another contending team can bring some great young talent and prospects. We can get a very good closer for a fraction of his price for next year, and maybe look for a middle reliever who doesn't suck. I think Lee should be kept too, but the argument for trading him isn't stupid - Halladay fell fast and hard, and Lee is 34. He would fetch a great price too.

The fact that Jeremy Horst occupied a roster spot for over 2 months means that Amaro and our entire scouting team should be fired immediately. There wasn't a better lefty reliever in our entire system than Horst?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 23 2013, 12:01 PM) *
When it was 7-2 and the bullpen was in there, gas cans in hand, I asked my son what the final score would be. He said 9-7 Mets, I said 7-6 Phils.

How's that for confidence??

Why not bring Zambrano up and use he or Pettibone for the 7th or 8th inning job?? Can it be any worse??

Nice to see Bastardo look good.

I said 7-6 Phils too, assuming Papelbon would come in and close it out.

Hamels, Lee, Kendrick, Lannan, Petibone - put Zambrano and Cloyd in the bullpen for now.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 23 2013, 03:03 PM) *
Our farm system is a disgrace - Papelbon to the Tigers or another contending team can bring some great young talent and prospects. We can get a very good closer for a fraction of his price for next year, and maybe look for a middle reliever who doesn't suck. I think Lee should be kept too, but the argument for trading him isn't stupid - Halladay fell fast and hard, and Lee is 34. He would fetch a great price too.

The fact that Jeremy Horst occupied a roster spot for over 2 months means that Amaro and our entire scouting team should be fired immediately. There wasn't a better lefty reliever in our entire system than Horst?

Before you say trade them, take every prospect that the Phils traded away during their run, and take every prospect the Phils got for Lee and Pence and Victorino. Put them all together and what you have is a group of players not worthy to swap for one half of one season for Cliff Lee, never mind all of the others we got in trades. It's a crap shoot and they've been trading crap. Give me the proven veteran, especially for a team like ours with a bunch of money.
Matty™
I need to get into the Phillies a little more, can't keep up with so many games, beauty of the NFL's 16 games I guess haha.

Although can't believe the one time I sit and watch the Phillies they bloe a 3-0 lead in the 9th...
HOUSEoPAIN
NOW do you want to trade Papelbon?

He's lost the clubhouse, has blown 3 saves in a row, and would still bring great value considering a change of scenery would be refreshing for him (and us).

I went to bed when Lee was done with the 7th, up 2-0.....
nephillymike
I fell asleep on the sofa after Utley hit the HR, then woke up as the Padres were coming off the field after they tied it in the 9th. My son filled me in on the details. I stayed semi awake and saw the end, as if I didn't know it would go that way.

I think I'm at the point where I stop watching until they get to .500. It's too frustrating.

How many days until training camp?

Maybe I'll read a book or two. Catch up on some Netflix.

Hey Jax, who do you recommend for ankle injuries?? I am in need on some one.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 25 2013, 05:31 PM) *
I think I'm at the point where I stop watching until they get to .500. It's too frustrating.

Please. You will keep watching every game, as will I, and we'll keep bitching back and forth about this crapfest. At least until August.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 23 2013, 01:14 PM) *
Y Why not extend that logic to Pappelbon? If we want to win next year, I would think one of the best closers in the game is a prerequisite. No? Why even trade him. We have a multi billion dollar TV deal coming in 2015. We can buy a year for 2014, no problem. I don't trade anyone I think we need for next year. I know I'm in the minority but I don't. Where we going to get the replacements? Our horrendous farm system? The finds of our great ML scouting dept? I keep the ones who I've seen play well here and Lee an Pappelbon qualify.

I want to trade Papelbon now for several reasons.
1 His velocity is way down and it will only get worse
2 He has value now, he won't next year
3 He does not have the stuff or any one pitch that will be able to be his out pitch without his velocity
4 He will only get worse in the clubhouse

You can unload that salary now....I say do it

mcnabbulous
Wait, people think we're really going to win next year? This run is over, fellas. Time to rebuild, starting with GM.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 28 2013, 12:37 PM) *
Wait, people think we're really going to win next year?

Who said that?
nephillymike
Wait for me!!

Wait for me!!

Hold the band wagon.

My ankle is better.

Up 7-0 in the 4th........................
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 28 2013, 05:01 PM) *
Who said that?

Mikey said "if we want to win next year..."
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 29 2013, 01:25 PM) *
Mikey said "if we want to win next year..."

Oh. Yeah next year will probably be a disaster no matter what.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.