Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dear Cary Williams: Thank You!! You Took Me Off
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.975thefanatic.com/teams/eagles/...12#.UbKOnvjD_IU

You have to listen to this. All Mikey Miss did was give him a microphone and a shovel and he dug his own hole.

Birdman420
first thing he said says it all to me,

This is just another franchise...
iggleslover49
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Jun 8 2013, 11:18 AM) *
first thing he said says it all to me,

This is just another franchise...

Well, it is. You think he'll be stoked to coming here? We have 0 SB meanwhile he just won one at the last franchise
Zero
I wish he had provided a better example to the young guys, but I'm still holding judgement until the games are played. He wasn't real bright talking the way he did, but give him points for being honest. I wish more players were honest.

All that said, I respect him for putting family as a priority. If the dude had missed OTA's to go on a party boat or play Vegas or some other irresponsible side line I'd agree: fuck him! But the dude took care of family responsibilities and if he plays well he deserves a lot of credit ... except for talking himself into a very deep hole.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 8 2013, 07:11 PM) *
I wish he had provided a better example to the young guys, but I'm still holding judgement until the games are played. He wasn't real bright talking the way he did, but give him points for being honest. I wish more players were honest.

All that said, I respect him for putting family as a priority. If the dude had missed OTA's to go on a party boat or play Vegas or some other irresponsible side line I'd agree: fuck him! But the dude took care of family responsibilities and if he plays well he deserves a lot of credit ... except for talking himself into a very deep hole.

Yeah after last season, I'll be happy if he sets the example by playing physical football and tackling. That is what the young guys need after witnessing that BS(Nnamdi and DRC) from last season, especially those ones that looked up to Nnamdi.

Its really hard for me to stay mad at the guy for being a father after hearing how HE himself was without one. At the end of the day, you really do have to remember that these guys have lives to live too and its just as important for them to be involved with their families as us. I remember hearing about Shady NOT being a father to his son and shaking my head in disappointment, so on the flip side,can't get mad at him
samaroo
On the other flip side, there's a lot of people who sacrifice a lot more, including family time, for a lot less. I feel no sympathy.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 8 2013, 06:11 PM) *

You and others are giving him credit where none is due. He's full of shit. If you listen to his interview you will hear him say that "at this stage of his life" and he's done all the OTA's in the past and "the nfl is holding them hostage over voluntary OTA's etc.

I'll translate. He went to the OTA's last year and every year before. The "place" he is in, is one where he already earned his big contract. So before his big contract, he thought it wise and worthy to go to the OTA's. Now that he's paid, he doesn't see them as important. This is an indication of the effort he intends to put in for out team. We paid for a guy we thought would give effort consistent with that he gave for Baltimore. We're getting less.

In isolation, missing one OTA for a recital isn't much. Taken with the weeks of OTA's he's missed for house décor work, dental work a honey moon that wasn't and he had no intention of attendance. He mentions his daughter's recital just to make people feel uncomfortable about criticizing him for "parenting" when all it really is is another excuse for why he didn't show. You fell for it.

And let's talk about the sconces and needing to be there to pick them out. First off, sconces are wall decorations that most times have lights on them. In the scope of a house project, they are insignificant. Any builder would meet with him whenever he needed to and would gladly work around his schedule. A schedule by the way, that is less than an eight hour day during these OTA's and easier to accommodate than anyone's who works on this board.

Many of you know that my company deals with furniture and lighting deliveries to some of the Eagles players. Matter of fact, we have made deliveries to two Eagles players recently, one during this year's OTA's and one during last year's post Lehigh training camp. One had an agent and girlfriend receive the delivery and the other had his designer meet us. And I can attest, in both cases the sconces matched the woodwork just fine!!

He's totally full of shit. Giving his reasons any credence reflects a gullibility that is inappropriate for the situation.

He says they have no off days during the season. They are given one day off per week per the CBA. During that time he works a half day more than I do in a week. He completely ignores the fact that they work a little more than half days during the OTA's. They are also off from the SB to the start of OTA's. All of the off days during the OTA's, which is more than half the days during the running of the OTA's. They are off from June 7th thru July 22. Plenty of time to plan the stuff he needed to handle. Go to the recital, reschedule the rest of it.

Like I said: full of shit
Eyrie
Great post, Mikey.
Reality Fan
I t has nothing to do with gullibility......he has the option to not attend hence the word "voluntary" and he exercised that option. He could have left the reasons why out of the equation but it is his choice. If he sucks you have the option to boo wholeheartedly. It won't effect his lighting choices but have at it. That being said people act like his attitude is a surprise....this guy has not exactly been a role model for conformity......they knew what they were getting.
HOUSEoPAIN
Honestly, don't any of these freaking people have handlers? When you get signed by a Philly sports team, the first words out of your agent's mouth into your ears should be something along the lines of "even if you really don't give a shit at all, pretend you do, and don't piss off the fan base."

Seriously, what is it with the CBs we sign? This guy sounds like Andrew Bynum without the potential talent.....

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 9 2013, 11:39 AM) *
I t has nothing to do with gullibility......he has the option to not attend hence the word "voluntary" and he exercised that option. He could have left the reasons why out of the equation but it is his choice. If he sucks you have the option to boo wholeheartedly. It won't effect his lighting choices but have at it. That being said people act like his attitude is a surprise....this guy has not exactly been a role model for conformity......they knew what they were getting.

My reference to gullibility pertained to the fans sympathizing with has daughter's recital as the real reason, nothing on the part of William's thought process. I don't know if I made that clear.

In his and every other NFL player's defense:

1. These camps are voluntary.
2. They cannot be reprimanded or disciplined for missing them.
3. The language in the CBA was bargained for. They gave up a few %'s of revenue, they got more lenient work rules.

There is nothing wrong with that. I actually would prefer that the teams make them mandatory, and pay the players more, or make them mandatory with a certain number of "personal" days where the players don't have to attend, for whatever reason. That way it eliminates this problem. But the league wanted a higher cut and the players wanted less work hours in return to save face so here we are.

However, tell Cary don't try to bullshit the bull shitter here. They were all voluntary in BAL also. He said himself, he made every one of them while there. But he's at a different point of his life (that point after you got the big signing bonus in a new deal). And being in that new place, has decided not to put the same amount of effort that he has in the past, despite the fact that this is a new team and a new system, and a team that paid him 20x more than his last employer, an employer he felt worthy of his presence in these voluntary OTA's. To that I say it is totally unacceptable to miss all the OTA's that he missed. Miss one or two, OK. Miss the amount that he has and I say I see a guy who got paid and doesn't give a damn as much as he did before. As an Eagle fan, I expect at least as much effort from a new highly paid FA. If he has a gripe with NFLPA for allowing these OTA's to go on and "hold the players captive", call his rep. And after you talk to your rep, get his ass on that practice field and do like his teammates have done, and practice to make our backfield as good as we're paying you to make it. Maybe he doesn't want to hang out with all those teammates who must be bad husbands and fathers who missed some of their kids' recitals and their family's home building projects.

The fact he doesn't give a damn what I or his teammates or his coaches think, while enlightening, is secondary to his change of effort.

He better be good and be good early or he'll learn real fast that this isn't the City of Brotherly Love. The fans, his coaches, and his teammates will not cut him any slack.

If he fails as a CB, I'm sure there are some union halls that could use a new rep.

Damn. I got to check with my 19 year old daughter. I missed her girl scout play back when she was six. I must be a terrible Dad, probably scarred her for life. I better worry. Father's Day is next Sunday and I may be getting shafted on the gifts.

Hey RF, still got those torches? When I find out where he lives we can storm his house in lieu of the Nova Care and consider you paid in full!!
Reality Fan
mikey....I just got a new order in......they are ready to go......pitchforks optional as always
bwc2112
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 9 2013, 12:39 AM) *
You and others are giving him credit where none is due. He's full of shit. If you listen to his interview you will hear him say that "at this stage of his life" and he's done all the OTA's in the past and "the nfl is holding them hostage over voluntary OTA's etc.

I'll translate. He went to the OTA's last year and every year before. The "place" he is in, is one where he already earned his big contract. So before his big contract, he thought it wise and worthy to go to the OTA's. Now that he's paid, he doesn't see them as important. This is an indication of the effort he intends to put in for out team. We paid for a guy we thought would give effort consistent with that he gave for Baltimore. We're getting less.

In isolation, missing one OTA for a recital isn't much. Taken with the weeks of OTA's he's missed for house décor work, dental work a honey moon that wasn't and he had no intention of attendance. He mentions his daughter's recital just to make people feel uncomfortable about criticizing him for "parenting" when all it really is is another excuse for why he didn't show. You fell for it.

And let's talk about the sconces and needing to be there to pick them out. First off, sconces are wall decorations that most times have lights on them. In the scope of a house project, they are insignificant. Any builder would meet with him whenever he needed to and would gladly work around his schedule. A schedule by the way, that is less than an eight hour day during these OTA's and easier to accommodate than anyone's who works on this board.

Many of you know that my company deals with furniture and lighting deliveries to some of the Eagles players. Matter of fact, we have made deliveries to two Eagles players recently, one during this year's OTA's and one during last year's post Lehigh training camp. One had an agent and girlfriend receive the delivery and the other had his designer meet us. And I can attest, in both cases the sconces matched the woodwork just fine!!

He's totally full of shit. Giving his reasons any credence reflects a gullibility that is inappropriate for the situation.

He says they have no off days during the season. They are given one day off per week per the CBA. During that time he works a half day more than I do in a week. He completely ignores the fact that they work a little more than half days during the OTA's. They are also off from the SB to the start of OTA's. All of the off days during the OTA's, which is more than half the days during the running of the OTA's. They are off from June 7th thru July 22. Plenty of time to plan the stuff he needed to handle. Go to the recital, reschedule the rest of it.

Like I said: full of shit

bwc2112
As a contractor in N.C. I was involved in building the house on Lake Norman for the late great Reggie White. He was totally involved and no money passed unless he said so. Yes he did miss some practice time to check status. BTW I got lost in it twice in the home. I will say you are 45% right.
JeeQ
We're cursed with lazy big mouthed idiots at the CB position wacko.gif
iggleslover49
I don't think OTAs will make or break him to the extent of him sucking due to missing them. He still has a copy of the playbook and will study and probably know it inside, out by training camp. And realistically, he'll have plenty of time to get acclimated with the scheme before it counts in week 1.
nephillymike
Everett
McNabb
T. Owens
Patterson
Sheppard
Kearse
Graham
T.Thomas
W. Thomas
B.Brooks
J.Dunn
J.Gafney
A. Samuel
C. Simon
J. Lurie
J. Banner
Herremans
D. Walker

and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few and with the above, more than not, we've been there multiple times. Not one of them ever had to be there during any of the new furniture deliveries we did for them. We dealt with Moms, brothers, agents, designers wives and girlfriends. Sometimes the players were there, but not as the final say. They were always an afterthought and never once did any of them ever insist on being there. Maybe they had to approve it after the fact before they paid the designer, but never did a delivery get held up b/c they needed to be there. But maybe they weren't at that "time of their lives".
Phits
Different people have different priorities. You seem to be judging this book by the cover. Imagine a bitchy wife who insists on you helping to make the decisions and not leaving it up to her (or the decorators) for the umpteenth time.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 9 2013, 11:19 PM) *
Everett
McNabb
T. Owens
Patterson
Sheppard
Kearse
Graham
T.Thomas
W. Thomas
B.Brooks
J.Dunn
J.Gafney
A. Samuel
C. Simon
J. Lurie
J. Banner
Herremans
D. Walker

and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few and with the above, more than not, we've been there multiple times. Not one of them ever had to be there during any of the new furniture deliveries we did for them. We dealt with Moms, brothers, agents, designers wives and girlfriends. Sometimes the players were there, but not as the final say. They were always an afterthought and never once did any of them ever insist on being there. Maybe they had to approve it after the fact before they paid the designer, but never did a delivery get held up b/c they needed to be there. But maybe they weren't at that "time of their lives".
samaroo
No doubt people have different priorities, I think most of us are saying sconces shouldn't be at the top of the list. Especially right now.
Eyrie
I think the problem is that all offseason Williams has found something else to be a priority when it comes to attending any camp that could be voluntary. I made the point when this first came up that I could understand him missing one or two but at some point he has to get the work/life balance right and that does not mean relegating work to an afterthought.

He either plays lights out or he's not going to be here long. Kelly has no relationship with the guy and showed in college a willingness to treat every player the same based on production and not recruitment status.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 10 2013, 12:43 PM) *
I think the problem is that all offseason Williams has found something else to be a priority when it comes to attending any camp that could be voluntary. I made the point when this first came up that I could understand him missing one or two but at some point he has to get the work/life balance right and that does not mean relegating work to an afterthought.

He either plays lights out or he's not going to be here long. Kelly has no relationship with the guy and showed in college a willingness to treat every player the same based on production and not recruitment status.

Don't you think having the OTA's being mandatory with two or three "personal" days allowed during those days, would help solve the issue?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 10 2013, 05:09 PM) *
Don't you think having the OTA's being mandatory with two or three "personal" days allowed during those days, would help solve the issue?

Somehow I think the union will have an issue with that
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 9 2013, 06:39 PM) *
mikey....I just got a new order in......they are ready to go......pitchforks optional as always

Here ya go, I'm ready

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xXVbcmGg_dg/SeNg..._8ec38093bc.jpg

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 10 2013, 04:27 PM) *
Somehow I think the union will have an issue with that

You're probably right. But if they do a study that says the OTA's were 96% attended, it's more orderly and would be easier for the players too, save guilt and all, if they were mandatory and given permission to miss a few. End the charade.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 9 2013, 12:39 AM) *
You and others are giving him credit where none is due. He's full of shit.

Maybe so, or maybe misguided. Who knows what goes through the minds of instant millionaires ... if I win the lottery I'll know better.

We're all made up differently and will react to things differently and we all make stupid, dumb ass, crawl under a rock mistakes. That's why I say let's wait until the games are being played. I can't boo a guy for putting family first, in fact I think doing that would warrant a healthy boo. If you're right it's a different story but I also don't think it's right to boo a guy for making an idiotic mistake if that's all it was.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 11 2013, 01:33 AM) *
You're probably right. But if they do a study that says the OTA's were 96% attended, it's more orderly and would be easier for the players too, save guilt and all, if they were mandatory and given permission to miss a few. End the charade.

Owners don't care. They gladly inserted or left the vague language in the CBA in exchange for a few points on the bottom line. Especially when the fans and media are gonna crap on the players that take advantage of the language they paid for.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 11 2013, 10:15 AM) *
Owners don't care. They gladly inserted or left the vague language in the CBA in exchange for a few points on the bottom line. Especially when the fans and media are gonna crap on the players that take advantage of the language they paid for.

Great point!
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 10 2013, 10:09 PM) *

No - they should be mandatory full stop. There's plenty of time off around the short periods that those OTAs take up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.