Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vick Chirping About it Being Difficult
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Interesting comment.

I agree with what Chip siad a while back. If a guy can't handle a QB comptetition, how is he ever going to be able to handle QB our team?

My guess is that it is hard for Vick because the competition is too close for comfort. If he were handily winning the competition, he would welcome the rest for his arm with as many passes these QB's are throwing,

Interesting. A little gripe from Vick, a little gripe from DJax.

I love it.

You want to be the starter than prove it!!

Could you imagine the human cry machine that Donovan, Sam and Wilma would be had this happened late in DMAC's career??
Zero
What's going to happen if Vick isn't the starter? Let's hope, regardless of the final decision that Vick acquits himself well during the pre-season.
mcnabbulous
Vick has never excelled in practice. If earning the starting job comes down to his play in that controlled environment, I simply can't see how he'll come out on top.
BirdsWinBaby
You know its funny that chip would equate handling the QB competition to handling being the QB of the team.....I was thinking kinda the same thing when I heard the recent vick quotes

Here is Vick in Feb...

"I welcome it because I believe in myself," Vick said. "I have so much confidence in myself and what I can do. That will never change. That pushes me. Every single one of my teammates should be in a open competition, not just me. Itís a competition week in and week out every Sunday."

Now that the OTAs put a little heat on Vick (heard several reports of foles looking good) he reverts to instinct which is to make comments that, while honest, aren't very smart given his coach has said the opposite.

Its the same with Vick's field play. He says the right things (I'm gonna slide and hold the ball like this!!) and will even do them on the practice field but when the games start, and he is feeling heat he will revert to his instincts. Unfortunately for him his physical gifts won't support his instinctual play as much as it used to and he becomes a turnover machine
GQSmooth
Vick should shut up. He plays better in games and there aren't any scheduled until August. From the media comments Vick is losing the competition, but keep in mind the same people saying that were biased against Vick coming back to begin with.
nephillymike
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Jun 7 2013, 11:04 AM) *
Vick should shut up. He plays better in games and there aren't any scheduled until August. From the media comments Vick is losing the competition, but keep in mind the same people saying that were biased against Vick coming back to begin with.

I agree.

If Chip wanted to return the volley, he would say "I think it is in Michael's best interest to hold off on the decision on the starting QB until after a few games of the preseason. If I agreed to do as he wishes and name my starter before training camp, it wouldn't be him"

Could you imagine the shitstorm. It would be funny, but not productive.

Mike is pussying out. I'm disappointed in him. True, he has an inflated opinion of his skills, but he should be confident enough to keep the competition going, even though he may not be winning now.

What if he sees the writing on the wall and Foles game tape from last year was better than his game tape from last year and he thinks NOW is the closest it is going to get? It might be best to do exactly what he did to cause a rift with the coach to get his release at an early enough time while he still may be able to hook up elsewhere and BEFORE the preseason game film shows he might not be all that as desirable to others than he is right now?? To me, that is a reasonable take on it. After all, how many times has Chip said he won't name the starter until late into the preseason?? Methinks Vick has other reasons for the statement.
GQSmooth
Vick has never looked good in preseason here. I didn't see him in camp in the past but no one was saying he was the best player out there. He never looked better than the other players until that Packer game where Kolb was injured.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 7 2013, 05:50 PM) *
What if he sees the writing on the wall and Foles game tape from last year was better than his game tape from last year and he thinks NOW is the closest it is going to get? It might be best to do exactly what he did to cause a rift with the coach to get his release at an early enough time while he still may be able to hook up elsewhere and BEFORE the preseason game film shows he might not be all that as desirable to others than he is right now?? To me, that is a reasonable take on it. After all, how many times has Chip said he won't name the starter until late into the preseason?? Methinks Vick has other reasons for the statement.

I don't think Vick's that smart to be that far ahead of the game.

On the other hand, Nick Fierro (who???) was apparently there in the discussion during which Vick made these comments to Mosher. Nick says Mosher, realizing the comments would sound ugly in the media, offered Vick a chance to back away from what he'd said. Vick went out of his way to insist Geoff go to press with it.

Me thinks Vick daft enough to believe he still has some goodwill and support from the fan base. The only thing that's going to bring ANY of that back to him is solid QB play on a level of which he's incapable.
Eyrie
Vick is correct that splitting reps is not good preparation because the starting QB needs to build a familiarity with the other offensive players in a new scheme.

But whether the comment is borne out of frustration at being clearly better than the others, or concern that they are playing him off the roster, it's not smart for Vick to attempt to force Kelly's hand.
D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 7 2013, 06:35 PM) *
Vick is correct that splitting reps is not good preparation because the starting QB needs to build a familiarity with the other offensive players in a new scheme.

But whether the comment is borne out of frustration at being clearly better than the others, or concern that they are playing him off the roster, it's not smart for Vick to attempt to force Kelly's hand.

Vick = Not Smart.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 7 2013, 12:35 PM) *

I disagree. You need to prove you're the #1 guy to get the chance for familiarity with the other #1's. We have plenty of time.

Mike Vick is worried.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 7 2013, 12:35 PM) *

I think the problem here is what the coach is going to think of Vick in terms of leadership and team awareness. He was probably hoping that whoever his starting QB is will be approaching training camp with the confidence that he will get the job based on his performance and simply restrain his comments to what they hope to accomplish as a team next year.

The problem with this kind of offseason lobbying is that it automatically puts him in at least a slightly adversarial position with his coach, and it sounds like the team is the last thing on his mind. Sure, I understand this is a business, but there is a smart way to conduct business and it is almost never public.
D Rock
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jun 8 2013, 06:21 AM) *
I think the problem here is what the coach is going to think of Vick in terms of leadership and team awareness. He was probably hoping that whoever his starting QB is will be approaching training camp with the confidence that he will get the job based on his performance and simply restrain his comments to what they hope to accomplish as a team next year.

The problem with this kind of offseason lobbying is that it automatically puts him in at least a slightly adversarial position with his coach, and it sounds like the team is the last thing on his mind. Sure, I understand this is a business, but there is a smart way to conduct business and it is almost never public.

Yup. Especially for a new coach w no NFL experience, that desperately needs his new team to buy into his odd/different (by NFL standards) ways. It's borderline moronic to be the first guy out right questioning the coach.
Reality Fan
I don't really see anything shocking here. As it was stated this is a business and at 33 Vick's "business" life is finite. I have no doubt that he is looking at the way the winds are blowing and realizes he is not the apple of his coaches eye right now and he most likely wants to find out if he has a shot to be the guy this year or wants to be let go to be the guy somewhere else. This BS about thinking about the team is silly. At the end of the day these guys think about team I and rightly so. The next time a stud QB signs for 1 million and says take the rest and sign the fellas we can discuss team. It is a business for both sides and to think differently is very naive. that is why I have no problem with Cary Williams. That is the contract and he did what was totally in his right to do. We have the right to boo him if he sucks. The word voluntary was not used because it is mandatory.

OK, enough ranting......go Phils
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.