Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cary Williams
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
GQSmooth
Took off from voluntary OTAs to go to his daughter's recital. By itself, I wouldn't have a problem with it, in fact would say good for him. But in context where he already missed a month of OTAs to get married, have dental work, and have work done on his house when he is a new guy on a team with a new coaching staff, that pays you higher than your last job I have to question his commitment. If I'm the coaches Im strongly thinking about making an example of him for teammates and future players. Williams showed he is just a paid mercenary and is not about the team. I would
give Marsh every opportunity to take the job.
iggleslover49
No doubt about it. He's not elite or named our starter just yet. He better tighten his ass up before he rides the pine. Cause if Marsh unseats him, I can't see him transitioning his way into the slot.
Zero
George Hegaman?
nephillymike
You had me until you mentioned Marsh!

If he's the competition, absentee boy is going to start.

I wonder how many other teams are running into the same problem with players missing OTA's?

I would imagine that the problem got worse and I don't have a problem overall in the league if it has gotten worse.

Specifically with Williams many reasons I do.

In the last CBA, the players took it in the shorts financially, relative to what they had. Part of the concessions for the league getting a bigger slice of the pie, was that they eased up on the work rules. Put in specific language about voluntary being voluntary, how many practices you could have with pads, a bunch of training camp limitations etc. So if taking the OTA's as being voluntary, and the removal of punishment for missing "voluntary" OTA's was one of the things the league gave back, I have no problem. The league isn't going to give back the extra few percentage points of revenues they negotiated last time, so I guess what works for the goose, works for the gander.

Think of it another way for your business you own.

You just got done negotiating with your workers union whereby you managed to have the ee's comp be a lower % of the total. As part of a give back, you say that Saturdays are not mandatory any more, and if ees choose not to show, you can't discipline them for not showing.
You tell your employees yesterday that we need some volunteers to come in and work today without any extra pay. They can get better at their craft by coming in, but no extra pay.

What % of those that you ask show up?

When you look at it in that view, the Eagles' attendance at OTA's is very impressive.
Zero
The part your post misses is "employable perception." Williams needs to demonstrate to his boss (coach) that he is the kind of player the coach wants. If he ends up warming the bench Kelly can use any reasoning he wants to justify it. And if he ends up unemployed after his guarantee disappears it will be because of leadership or some ambiguous reason.

The problem with Williams not showing up is not that he won't play well but that he's sending the wrong message to his younger teammates, IMO. Let's see how much time he devotes to film study and other preparation activities as the season moves along. It may be that he will shine and that the house, dentist and matrimony were planned prior to signing with the team. I don't fault him for taking a day to show commitment to his daughter. In fact, I respect that.
GQSmooth
Cary just seems antithesis to the culture Chip wants established. The dental and house crap could have been handled on his time off. He has over $10 million guaranteed so he has to be kept around. The team needs to develop CBs that want to be around. Williams acts like a paid mercenary, no wonder Baltimore didn't want to keep him around. How the hell do you think fans in Philly will react when he gets beat? They will remember and boo his ass. Some of the writers made a good point, the team details why Williams is absent, but others are listed as personal reason. That is not by accident.
Zero
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Jun 1 2013, 05:20 PM) *
That is not by accident.

I didn't think about that. That's not a good sign.
Phits
Mountain out of a molehill.
TGryn
He's a CB who knows how to tackle, something we haven't had since Sheldon left. Until he shows otherwise on that during a game, I'm fine with putting up with the nickel-and-dime small stuff.
nephillymike
Unfortunately, he gives up TD passes like the guys we used to have.

BTW, I have my boos ready to boo the shit out of this guy when he screws up.
iggleslover49
I would think he's a bit stiff in the hips for the slot. Think DRC 2.0. Square peg, round hole.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Jun 2 2013, 12:08 AM) *
I would think he's a bit stiff in the hips for the slot. Think DRC 2.0. Square peg, round hole.

maybe it was the hip surgery that he had Mel.....

Stiff in the hips? Really?........Is what the fantasy magazines are saying?

Pardon the sarcasm but I find it funny when layman such as ourselves get carried away with evaluations with talk like we are scouts.....
Eyrie
Some of that will have been scheduled by Williams for the offseason before he knew which team he would be playing for and what dates their OTAs are held on, which is fair enough.

But he's joining a new team installing a new defence so has to get the balance right. In itself taking time off for the recital would be fine, but he's missed that much time already that he should have taken the flak at home for missing it. Equally why couldn't his wife deal with the work on the house?

On Mikey's point about putting in additional hours for no money, I do that every day (as I suspect many others on here do). In addition January is tax return season over here and (unlike colleagues at my level) I work the weekends in January on clients for whom I'm not responsible to ensure that their returns are filed on time. I'm not asked to do that and don't get any extra money, I just do it on the basis that I'm well paid enough in the first place and have a responsibility to my employer. For an NFL-player's salary I'd probably skip sleeping as well to fit more in.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 2 2013, 03:44 AM) *
maybe it was the hip surgery that he had Mel.....

Stiff in the hips? Really?........Is what the fantasy magazines are saying?

Pardon the sarcasm but I find it funny when layman such as ourselves get carried away with evaluations with talk like we are scouts.....

I dunno if he is or not. I'm just saying that that's what they say about big corners like him. Maybe he's got great agility, I dunno. But I'm under the impression that DRC would be the more athletic and gifted corner and he struggled. Hell, Im under the impression that Cary really is not that good. He turned his game up torward the end of last season, but struggled early on. Has he EVER played in the slot? With all that being said I don't wanna try him in the slot and HOPE he can adjust.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 2 2013, 04:38 AM) *
Some of that will have been scheduled by Williams for the offseason before he knew which team he would be playing for and what dates their OTAs are held on, which is fair enough.

But he's joining a new team installing a new defence so has to get the balance right. In itself taking time off for the recital would be fine, but he's missed that much time already that he should have taken the flak at home for missing it. Equally why couldn't his wife deal with the work on the house?

On Mikey's point about putting in additional hours for no money, I do that every day (as I suspect many others on here do). In addition January is tax return season over here and (unlike colleagues at my level) I work the weekends in January on clients for whom I'm not responsible to ensure that their returns are filed on time. I'm not asked to do that and don't get any extra money, I just do it on the basis that I'm well paid enough in the first place and have a responsibility to my employer. For an NFL-player's salary I'd probably skip sleeping as well to fit more in.

I think there is a difference. Sure all salaried ees put hours in without pay per se. However, what if you er came to you and said wages were going to freeze and then would become less of a piece of the revenue pie over the next ten years and that as a give back, you wouldn't have to work as many extra hours for "no pay". It's all relative to the position you were in when they lowered your cut, and they couldn't use it against you. It was a negotiated change or clarification of the word voluntary in the CBA.

That all being said, it is ridiculous that he has every excuse for not being there.

Like I said, my boo is all ready.............
D Rock
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Jun 2 2013, 11:39 PM) *
I dunno if he is or not. I'm just saying that that's what they say about big corners like him. Maybe he's got great agility, I dunno.

laugh.gif

You dunno? You're "just sayin?"

That's not what you said at all. You proclaimed him "stiff in the hips" as if it were gospel.

I'm betting our pop Warner hero hasn't even seen the guy run.

laugh.gif
BirdsWinBaby
He has guaranteed money and a Superbowl ring. Add in the fact that he may be their best option and you have a guy who isn't worried about getting benched of impressing Billy Davis
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 3 2013, 01:50 AM) *
I think there is a difference. Sure all salaried ees put hours in without pay per se. However, what if you er came to you and said wages were going to freeze and then would become less of a piece of the revenue pie over the next ten years and that as a give back, you wouldn't have to work as many extra hours for "no pay". It's all relative to the position you were in when they lowered your cut, and they couldn't use it against you. It was a negotiated change or clarification of the word voluntary in the CBA.

That all being said, it is ridiculous that he has every excuse for not being there.

Like I said, my boo is all ready.............

I can monitor the fees which I raise to see how my salary compares, but ultimately I take the view that I'm well enough paid as it is that I don't mind doing the extra work. Others may take the view that their salary simply reflects their contracted hours, which is the approach Williams seems to have.

My boo is ready for his first blown assignment, and being the generous type I'll make that the regular season and not training camp or pre-season.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 3 2013, 11:14 AM) *
laugh.gif

That's not what you said at all. You proclaimed him "stiff in the hips" as if it were gospel.

laugh.gif

Drock don't start wit me cause you know I'll crush you like Richard Sherman vs. Skip Bayless
iggleslover49
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 3 2013, 11:14 AM) *
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Drock don't start wit me cause you know I'll crush you like Richard Sherman vs. Skip Bayless wink.gif
iggleslover49
Sorry the double post.
iggleslover49
If the guy is so good, why wasn't he resigned? It's not like he was too expensive to keep around.
D Rock
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Jun 4 2013, 01:14 AM) *
Drock don't start wit me cause you know I'll crush you like Richard Sherman vs. Skip Bayless wink.gif

laugh.gif

nice one.
Zero
Im sorry that people make such a big deal over something so small, said Williams. I grew up as a kid who didnt have two parents in my household. I definitely take pride in being a father, in being a husband. I take pride in being there for my daughter, for my children and future children because I didnt have that when I was younger.

Im sorry that yall make such a big deal out of it and fans have something to do with it. I love the fans, I love the people that have supported me but at the end of the day, if I were to worry about what a fan thinks of me then I wont be here very longI cant please every person out here in America.
I agree that family comes first, always. Let's see how he does in the games and the locker room.
Linc ...
Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 5 2013, 08:20 AM) *
I agree that family comes first, always. Let's see how he does in the games and the locker room.
Linc ...

F HIM!!!! I two sets of SBLs now. One set is in row 1 section 138. I can't way to heckle the sh*t out of this punk. He and Vick are gonna hear exactly what this fan base thinks of the two of them. I can't wait til these two are gone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.