Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tired of Barkley posts yet?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Way too early to make anything out of this, but it sure is fun reading it. I'd love to start hearing how Barkley was the hands-down steal of the 2013 draft. We're only on the start line but I'm enjoying the journey so far.
Questions about his arm strength have dogged Barkley for years, and despite tremendous production in college, those questions and a minor shoulder injury that didn’t even require surgery morphed a 2011 Heisman Trophy hopeful into a 2013 fourth-round draft pick.

“He’s been able to make all the throws,” offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur said. “Down the field, intermediate, short. He’s got a strong enough arm. What’s most important is that he can throw it accurately, and he’s shown that ability as well. We don’t feel like we have any issue at all with Matt’s arm strength.”
Pssst ...
iggleslover49
I never understood the part about him not having a strong arm. I've seen plays in his highlights where he threw the ball 60 yards down field. I've no clue how he fell as far as he did. I suppose QBs like Sanchez and Lienert have put such a bad rep on USC QBs. I'm not a numbers guy but the numbers he has put up against legit competition can't be denied. He was hurt for a couple of games last season, but still almost matched his numbers from his heisman year. Hell, I'm still trying to wrap my head around EJ Manuel being the first QB taken.
samaroo
As a lifelong FSU fan, i can't believe how EJ went first either. But either way, here's to Barkley being the next Brady! wink.gif
make_it_rain
I'll take accuracy and touch over arm strength any day of the week.

Look at Vick, the guy has an absolute cannon and can just hurl it down the field, but it doesn't count for much when (at least recently) most of those passes just sail over the receivers head.
samaroo
I heard a saying about golf once that i think holds true for QBs as well:

It's better to be short and accurate than long and inaccurate.

Hell, it worked for Montana.
Eyrie
QUOTE (samaroo @ Jun 1 2013, 02:31 AM) *
I heard a saying about golf once that i think holds true for QBs as well:

It's better to be short and accurate than long and inaccurate.

Hell, it worked for Montana.

It would also add to the effectiveness of Kelly's speeded up offense since more shorter passes means that our drives will take longer and sap more out of the defence than a few big plays will. That has to tell in the fourth quarter.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 1 2013, 04:50 AM) *
It would also add to the effectiveness of Kelly's speeded up offense since more shorter passes means that our drives will take longer and sap more out of the defence than a few big plays will. That has to tell in the fourth quarter.

Plus, from what I've been able to understand, this offense is predicated on RAC. A quick, short pass that is designed to take advantage of the coverage and a receiver who is able to gain the extra yards. Hmm, that sounds alot like Walsh's offense ramped up. Wait ... Shurmer is a WCO deciple.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 1 2013, 06:12 AM) *
Plus, from what I've been able to understand, this offense is predicated on RAC. A quick, short pass that is designed to take advantage of the coverage and a receiver who is able to gain the extra yards. Hmm, that sounds alot like Walsh's offense ramped up. Wait ... Shurmer is a WCO deciple.

That definitely sounds like Walsh offense from the short passing game to the use of an Hback being moved around the way Casey sounds like he will be. But also sounds like a run and gun offense seeing as the receivers will have option routes in which they choose the route based off what the defense does.
Eyrie
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Jun 1 2013, 07:10 PM) *
That definitely sounds like Walsh offense from the short passing game to the use of an Hback being moved around the way Casey sounds like he will be. But also sounds like a run and gun offense seeing as the receivers will have option routes in which they choose the route based off what the defense does.

I agree that Kelly's approach is to take what the defence gives him. So if the safeties come up to deal with the run (or indeed the short pass) the ball goes long, and if they hang back then it's a hand off or short pass.

Sounds very simple and effective, but the problem is in players recognising what is available and then responding appropriately. Most players are used to having a clearly defined role on each play, so this will be new to them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.