Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Draft moving to May
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/homepage/.../?sct=uk_t11_a5
...the latest change to the NFL's offseason calendar. Basically, it will add another two or three weeks to the draft season in 2014, and pegs the first round as falling on either May 8 or May 15, to be determined in the coming week. Here's what also became quickly apparent Tuesday: Once the league holds the draft in May, it's almost certainly in May to stay. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in his post-meeting news conference that in order for the draft to revert to a fourth week of April schedule, it would have to leave New York for another site, due to the expectation of scheduling conflicts with the Radio City Easter-based extravaganza. Even though Easter is a holiday that moves around each year, and can fall anywhere from March 22 to April 25.

In other words, the NFL wants its draft in May going forward.

I'm kind of "meh" about it . They lost me as an intense draftnik when they moved away from having the draft on the weekends, so not sure what difference it'll make, other than giving people two more weeks to obsess over their mock drafts.

Dreagon
I hate this. This is just another sign of the NFL having it's decisions made by the money guys instead of the football people.
mcnabbulous
In a time when rookies seem to be counted on more and more, giving team's 2-3 fewer weeks with them makes absolutely no sense. The game will suffer. As if the NFL gives a shit about that.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 23 2013, 10:28 AM) *
In a time when rookies seem to be counted on more and more, giving team's 2-3 fewer weeks with them makes absolutely no sense. The game will suffer. As if the NFL gives a shit about that.

How does the game suffer?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ May 23 2013, 10:06 AM) *
How does the game suffer?

I thought I made my opinion on that pretty clear.

More reliance on rookies + less time for rookies to work with teams = shittier product.
Phits
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 23 2013, 08:57 AM) *
They lost me as an intense draftnik when they moved away from having the draft on the weekends, so not sure what difference it'll make, other than giving people two more weeks to obsess over their mock drafts.

It only serves the anti-NFL (Goodell) establishment more reason to complain.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ May 23 2013, 11:11 AM) *
It only serves the anti-NFL (Goodell) establishment more reason to complain.

So what is the benefit of doing so? If it has no negative repercussions (which isn't true) what is the reason to make this move?
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 23 2013, 01:03 PM) *
So what is the benefit of doing so? If it has no negative repercussions (which isn't true) what is the reason to make this move?

There are no repercussions. It's the draft. The off-season schedule can be modified to accommodation a date change. Goddell recently said that an 18 game schedule is still a possibility. Nothing is set in stone. As for "the reason", it's appears to be financially driven. The NFL is a business, so you can expect some choices to be based on money to be made. However, I don't sit on the board so I can't tell you for sure.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ May 23 2013, 12:24 PM) *
The off-season schedule can be modified to accommodation a date change.

So Goodell is going to invent more time between a pushed back draft and the beginning of the season?

Roger "Time Creator" Goodell.
Eyrie
If they move to an 18 game schedule then the preparation time for rookies will be squeezed from both ends and that will hurt their prospects of a successful first season.

I think the move is to try to reduce the dead time in the spring and summer. February is time to discuss the roster, early March is free agency and then it's draft talk until mid-may (or even June by the time the analysis is done). Leaves maybe eight weeks until training camp opens.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 23 2013, 01:53 PM) *
So Goodell is going to invent more time between a pushed back draft and the beginning of the season?

Roger "Time Creator" Goodell.

If I am not mistaken, the NFL controls the schedule for their league. They can opt to push the season back a week or extend it a week. So in response to your sarcasm, he can be a Time Creator. Unless he is getting the schedule from the top of Mount Sinai and it is etched into stone tablets, all plans are subject to change.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 23 2013, 01:56 PM) *
If they move to an 18 game schedule then the preparation time for rookies will be squeezed from both ends and that will hurt their prospects of a successful first season.

Not if they change the start/end date of the season.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ May 23 2013, 01:16 PM) *
If I am not mistaken, the NFL controls the schedule for their league. They can opt to push the season back a week or extend it a week. So in response to your sarcasm, he can be a Time Creator. Unless he is getting the schedule from the top of Mount Sinai and it is etched into stone tablets, all plans are subject to change.

There is no talk of that. If you can point to anyone even rumoring that, I will concede your point.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 23 2013, 02:51 PM) *
There is no talk of that. If you can point to anyone even rumoring that, I will concede your point.

Doesn't matter whether you concede to my point, you just have to admit the possibility.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ May 23 2013, 02:49 PM) *
Doesn't matter whether you concede to my point, you just have to admit the possibility.

Not if no one else is considering it as a possibility.
TGryn
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...d-roger-goodell

Cutting two games off the preseason -- either by expanding the playoffs or moving to an 18-game schedule -- is still being discussed, commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday at the NFL's spring owners meetings in Boston. He said all "[options] are on the table."

"As I have said before, I think the structure of the season is something that we consistently reevaluate," he said. "I have been quite open about [indicating that] we have to address the quality of the preseason.

"I hear from fans consistently that they want to make every NFL event more valuable. They see the preseason as being less valuable to them because they don't see the best players and the games do not count," he said. "We have to address that, whether we are looking at 18 [regular-season games] and two [preseason games] or 16-and-two and expanded playoffs."

The NFLPA was against the 18 game schedule during the CBA negotiations, so that's one hurdle they'd have to overcome. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but neither can the league office just wave their magic wand arbitrarily on this, either.
HOUSEoPAIN
You mean next year there's going to be another FUCKING MONTH of draft speculation on this board?!?!?!

wacko.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 24 2013, 01:45 AM) *
You mean next year there's going to be another FUCKING MONTH of draft speculation on this board?!?!?!

wacko.gif

Admit it - you loved the endless arguments over whether Geno Smith would still be there at #4 or would end up a UDFA biggrin.gif
samaroo
I'm not sure I'd want ann expanded playoffs. It's bad enough we have 8-8 or 7-9 teams getting in. God forbid we end like the NBA.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 23 2013, 07:45 PM) *

wacko.gif

Yeah baby!! A few more weeks after the end of tax season, there's no telling how much more I can bore the shit out of everybody next year with draft anlaysis!!

A one week push back of the draft would be OK with me. I wouldn't want to go much more than that.
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 24 2013, 03:48 PM) *
I'm not sure I'd want ann expanded playoffs. It's bad enough we have 8-8 or 7-9 teams getting in. God forbid we end like the NBA.

I agree. Keep the current playoff format. If they want to remove the last two preseason games for regular season OK I guess.
GQSmooth
Why would you think you will see the same quality of football with the expanded regular season. Players are limping into the playoffs as it is. Expanding the season would turn the NFL from football to Survivor reality show.
Eyrie
I think the rosters would need to be expanded - maybe do away with the practice squad and have all sixty players active on game days so that the stars can get an extra half dozen plays off each game.

But even that measure to reduce their workload will mean diluting the quality that we see. And there are some positions (QB, OL) where the starters don't rotate unless it's late on in a blow out.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 24 2013, 06:27 PM) *
I agree. Keep the current playoff format. If they want to remove the last two preseason games for regular season OK I guess.

If there's one constant in sports, it's that the amount of playoff teams and regular season games NEVER decreases, and ONLY increases (barring strikes and shit like that).

When baseball started playing 162 games in 1962, Game 7 of that year's world series was played on October 16th. This year Game 7 will be on October 31st, with no weather delays - and it's been in November a few times before. We have 2 wild cards, and if you think baseball is going to stop there, you're out of your mind.

The NFL WILL eventually expand its season and playoffs, the Super Bowl is already in early February, and the season will end up starting in late August. 18 games with 7 or 8 teams from each conference won't be far away.

Also, it won't be long before we see a 96 team NCAA tourney. Shit, we already have meaningless little playoffs to see who gets killed by the #1s in the first round, so their schools can suck on the NCAAs tit a bit more and they can ask their donors for more money to recruit.
Mr. Bonko
I support an 18 game regular season and 2 game preseason. I also support schedule changes that would push back the Super Bowl by 2 weeks landing it on the Sunday before President's day. A fair amount of people have this day off already. Having the SB the day before will likely result in more companies giving this day off and creating a true national holiday.

As for the additional injuries that will be caused by the extra games, I concede there will be some, but not as many as some would contend. I believe this for the following reasons.

1) Extra plays, not extra games, cause more injuries.

2) An increase in the number of plays "played" (as measured by avg # of plays played by players) will be limited by the elimination of 2 pre-season games, expanded rosters and potential rule changes that allow the clock to run in certain circumstances when it is now stopped. AS long as games stay within a 3-3:15 hr window, there is enough time for commercials. They can also play with halftime or length of timeouts if needed.

3.) The reduced number of practices/training camp also helps limit the number of injuries.

I am not saying all my points will keep the number of injuries flat, but it will limit the increase. And players will benefit from the extra cash generated by the extra games.

The extra games can result in more meaningless games at the end of the season being played by teams that have clinched their playoff seed or are eliminated, but this pales in comparison to the number of meaningless pre-season games currently being played.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.