Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who Do You Like Better
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Do people like Vick or McNabb better?
mcnabbulous
I went with Donnie, but at this point it's more about which one I dislike least. Donovan's career long pity party has done his career a disservice. It goes without saying that I couldn't have been a bigger fan at one point. I was the ultimate apologist. Until he decided that was his role.

Vick is a general waste of talent. I would love to have seen what he could have done if he really wanted to be the best.

Frankly, I don't think either one maximized their abilities.
chefalan23
As a person, Donnie
As a football player, Vick

Mcnaab is a genuine person, and a fraud as a qb
Vick is a phenom of an athlete, and complete garbage as a person.

So I ask the o.p.....would you rather take a bath in semen or diarrhea?
Zero
This was a tough one. I liked the way McNabb played the game more than Vick but it always frustrated me that he would orphan one of his better skills, running with the ball. DMac was, and is a head case. In retrospect, I think he polarized the team. What happened between him and TOO was as much his fault as anyone's and he was the one person who was capable of preventing, stopping or repairing the mess. He was unable to. Booing, black on black crime, air guitar, etc. DMac hurt himself as a player and as a personality. In my view, DMac digressed as a QB, especially at the end. I think he saw himself as a player the team and coaches should adjust to rather than the other way around.

I love animals. They're are friends, our companions and our families. What MV did to those animals is beyond comprehension. People who do that to animals should get a taste of their own medicine just as much as a person who abuses a child should. There is no excuse for that behavior but there is forgiveness if the person is truly repentant and changes his life. I believe Vick has done that. I believe MV has always been more talented than DMac but in a different way wasted those talents just the same. Unlike McNabb, I think MV is trying to improve his skills and adjust his talents to the team's needs. I think he's progressed from a player who didn't think he needed coaching to one who is listening to instructions and trying to do what's asked of him.

I went with Vick. I don't think he's a horrible person, I think the system he grew up in taught him all the wrong lessons. I think he's trying to be accountable for his transgressions and is trying to improve himself as both a player and as a person.
HobbEs
I went with McNabb. The guy flat out carried the team the first few years of the Andy regime and did more with less than any other QB I can remember.
JaxEagle
Is this a joke? I don't get it. I'm not even going to respond to such a silly question.
chefalan23
I forgot about the air guitar. F mcnaab.
D Rock
QUOTE (chefalan23 @ May 23 2013, 04:48 AM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Exactly. Where is our "none of the above" choice?

Forced to chose, I'd go with Supa5. The first 5 years of his run were great. Vick only gave us 6 good games. Not even close.
nephillymike
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ May 23 2013, 09:00 AM) *
Is this a joke? I don't get it. I'm not even going to respond to such a silly question.

No, not at all. I haven't given an opinion yet to let others express theirs. I heard a discussion on local sports radio the other day and they said that this city likes QB X way more than QB Y and he was trying to find out why. Not saying who X and Y are, but I figured I'd throw it out to the board to see what they thought on the matter. I welcome your opinion. I honestly don't know which way you slant. As I type, it's 4-2 McNabb.
Eyrie
McNabb was the better QB without question, and as has been said at one point he was our offense. Whilst his self-pitying could grate, he never harmed anyone.

Vick was a better athlete, but nowhere near the passer that McNabb was. He is a reformed character now but what he did will always count against him.

So it's McNabb on both counts for me.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 23 2013, 01:40 PM) *
McNabb was the better QB without question, and as has been said at one point he was our offense. Whilst his self-pitying could grate, he never harmed anyone.

Vick was a better athlete, but nowhere near the passer that McNabb was. He is a reformed character now but what he did will always count against him.

So it's McNabb on both counts for me.

I don't agree that McNabb was a better passer. I think he played the position better but don't you remember all the worm burners and receivers getting clobbered because they were forced to stop or come back to the ball? Vick can throw the ball very well he just never got that being a QB was more than finding one receiver and running if he was covered.
iggleslover49
This is a tough one for me. People will judge Vick as a person based on how he treated animals. But there have been plenty of times I seen 5 throw teammates under the bus. I never seen that from Vick. Vick is a better athlete and leader than 5. But IMO 5 is a better all around QB and really at the end of the day, has done more than Vick. I'mma go wit 5 on this one I seen him choke, but at the same time I seen him play some clutch football.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 22 2013, 11:23 PM) *
Do people like Vick or McNabb better?

I honestly can't even get how you would go for Vick at this point. While some people here have made their feelings on McNabb clear, the simple fact is for the only time in our history in the modern era he led a team that we constantly expected playoffs and a championship out of. Many of the people on this board don't even want Vick to start next year - if we go deep in the playoffs with him and start winning championships that's one thing, but if we don't, we're getting more and more years away from a time when we were contenders. If it ends up being 2014 or 2016 or whatever and we're still 8-8 or 9-7 and getting wiped out in the 1st round, some people here may start to miss #5.

*disclaimer - I know people might say the same thing about Reid who I have bashed time and time again, but this question is about McNabb vs. Vick, not Reid vs. Kelly
nephillymike
I voted for McNabb.

The thing is, Vick had the best 10 game stretch I ever seen by an Eagle QB, but McNabb's '04 comes real close. McNabb is the better QB, and for the personality quirks, he never did much if anything to embarrass himself, unlike Vick. McNabb has accomplished much more.

BTW, The sports talk show host said that people like Vick much better than McNabb. I didn't think so, but so far the results seem to dispute that assertion. Many callers though did favor Vick. I don't see how really. It seemed like some of the Black guys who called preferred Vick by a large number. Odd really. McNabb does seem to have problems winning the "Black" vote. Go figure.
JaxEagle
Perhaps career wins would be a good comparison? I have no idea what the numbers are but my guess is that Vick has no shot at equaling McNabb. He probably needs another 5 years to ahve a shot? What are the numbers?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (chefalan23 @ May 23 2013, 12:48 AM) *
As a person, Donnie
As a football player, Vick

Mcnaab is a genuine person, and a fraud as a qb
Vick is a phenom of an athlete, and complete garbage as a person.

the problem with such polls is you get this type of ignorance.....ugh....
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 23 2013, 10:05 PM) *
Odd really. McNabb does seem to have problems winning the "Black" vote. Go figure.

Unfortunate and ignorant, but not odd. It's the same thing as that asshole Rob Parker calling RGIII a 'cornball brother' - Vick has the street cred and the lesser ability to speak understandable English, and of course he served time and ran a dogfighting ring.

Actually when McNabb and Iverson were in Philly together, this same conversation took place regarding their relative popularity in getting the 'black vote.' McNabb smiled a lot, was a family man, worked out in the offseason, never got into trouble, and was articulate. Iverson was covered in tattoos, had corn rows, went public about how showing up at practice wasn't necessary, went to prison, made a rap single that was full of anti-gay lyrics, and would frequently get in trouble off the court. Also, his English skills were lacking.

Go figure.
chefalan23
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 24 2013, 01:52 AM) *
the problem with such polls is you get this type of ignorance.....ugh....

"Ugh" Is that the noise you make when you get kicked in your vagina?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 24 2013, 08:08 AM) *
worked out in the offseason
His increased chin level (yes, Donovan - we all know the 'grow a beard to hide it' trick) suggests those workouts weren't of the highest intensity.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 24 2013, 10:14 AM) *
His increased chin level (yes, Donovan - we all know the 'grow a beard to hide it' trick) suggests those workouts weren't of the highest intensity.

Well even if his workouts were just lifting mozzarella sticks to his mouth, it's certainly better PR than Iverson's work ethic. Being the bad boy certainly was more appealing to kids too, I know I got an Iverson jersey the second he became a Sixer when I was in high school.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 24 2013, 09:24 AM) *
Well even if his workouts were just lifting mozzarella sticks to his mouth, it's certainly better PR than Iverson's work ethic. Being the bad boy certainly was more appealing to kids too, I know I got an Iverson jersey the second he became a Sixer when I was in high school.

FWIW, I hated Iverson and it's the primary reason I'm not a Sixers fan. The other being that I just hate the NBA.

With that said, there is something that simply isn't authentic about Donovan. Early in his career, he seemed to play with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Later in his career, it was like he had a bag of chips in his mouth. He truly seemed to epitomize "fat and happy."

The thing that is likeable about Iverson is the fact that he always seemed to leave it on the court. He played like he was 5 inches taller and 40lbs heavier. That's the type of shit that Philly eats up.

Donovan, subsquently just became 40lbs heavier.

[insert additional Donovan fat joke here]
D Rock
It also should be noted that Donovan came from a good neighborhood in chicago and was of upper middle class means. That takes his "blackness" down a notch according to some. Did you ever see that documentary about Michigan's "fab five" (Rose, Webber et al)? They were going off about how Grant Hill wasn't "black enough" because he came from a good 2 parent family, of upper middle class means, and was too articulate.

It's the same attitude.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (chefalan23 @ May 24 2013, 09:56 AM) *
"Ugh" Is that the noise you make when you get kicked in your vagina?

no....that is the sound I make after reading silly and ridiculous posts.....now if you said he went downhill quickly I would get that but when you say something as idiotic as what you did...well...you know....
chefalan23
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 24 2013, 09:12 PM) *
no....that is the sound I make after reading silly and ridiculous posts.....now if you said he went downhill quickly I would get that but when you say something as idiotic as what you did...well...you know....

I get it. 4500+ posts on the forum, you consider yourself to be a big deal, and much smarter/classier than people like myself. I spend countless hours in a well heated dungeon filled with degenerate substance abusing pirates, so if my "off color" humor doesn't tickle your pickle.......well......you know......go birds.
chefalan23
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 24 2013, 09:12 PM) *

I get it. 4500+ posts on the forum, you consider yourself to be a big deal, and much smarter/classier than people like myself. I spend countless hours in a well heated dungeon filled with degenerate substance abusing pirates, so if my "off color" humor doesn't tickle your pickle.......well......you know......go birds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.