Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Everyone knows a 7th round pick is camp fodder
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Don't we? Isn't he?

Jordan Poyer ...
samaroo
Based on nothing more than the video in that article, he seems like a peeker, but he knows what to do with the ball when he gets it. I hope he works out, that's for sure. We need help back there.
TGryn
Not everybody. This blogger rated both Coleman and Cheney from 2010 as only average picks, despite being 7th rounders who started a lot of games.

For me, anybody after the 3rd round who becomes a regular starter is a good pick. Criticizing a 7th round pick for not being a Pro Bowler just shows a lack of understanding of how the draft and draft value works.
nephillymike
Great pick in the 7th.

Had him 89th overall (lower 3rd round) and we got him after pick 200?

Out of the nine sources I tracked, he was ranked anywhere from 43rd to 121. either way, a great value pick in a position of need.

Mayock has him as a eventual starter, NFP has him as a solid starter and ESPN as a good prospect, 4th round grade.

A solid "A" all the way around from what others say.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 7 2013, 08:53 PM) *
Not everybody. This blogger rated both Coleman and Cheney from 2010 as only average picks, despite being 7th rounders who started a lot of games.

For me, anybody after the 3rd round who becomes a regular starter is a good pick. Criticizing a 7th round pick for not being a Pro Bowler just shows a lack of understanding of how the draft and draft value works.

Coleman and Cheney aren't starters. Don't confuse not having anyone else with them earning their starting spots.
TGryn
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 8 2013, 08:21 AM) *
Coleman and Cheney aren't starters. Don't confuse not having anyone else with them earning their starting spots.

If the Eagles hadn't drafted them in the 7th, who would have been starting, then? That's the point: sure, they aren't Pro Bowlers, but how much worse would the team have been without them around to plug in? For spending only a 7th round pick, getting 29 and 23 starts out of Coleman and Chaney (respectively) is exceptional value when you look at who typically gets drafted then. Calling them only so-so picks, as the blogger did, is just foolish.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 8 2013, 01:12 PM) *
If the Eagles hadn't drafted them in the 7th, who would have been starting, then? That's the point: sure, they aren't Pro Bowlers, but how much worse would the team have been without them around to plug in? For spending only a 7th round pick, getting 29 and 23 starts out of Coleman and Chaney (respectively) is exceptional value when you look at who typically gets drafted then. Calling them only so-so picks, as the blogger did, is just foolish.

I think literally any replacement level player could have started and there would have been no drop-off.
TGryn
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 8 2013, 11:37 AM) *
I think literally any replacement level player could have started and there would have been no drop-off.

We tried that with guys like Sims, Anderson, Jordan, etc. The results were less than satisfactory, which is why Coleman and Cheney kept regaining their starting jobs.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 8 2013, 02:57 PM) *
We tried that with guys like Sims, Anderson, Jordan, etc. The results were less than satisfactory, which is why Coleman and Cheney kept regaining their starting jobs.

I guess my point is that Coleman and Cheney are less than satisfactory, too. They certainly weren't being started over adequate to good results.
TGryn
To circle back to the original topic, if Poyer becomes our regular dime corner this year, plus some special teams contributions, I'll consider the pick a success. He was rated higher than a 7th round pick by most ratings I've seen, but at the same time there's usually reasons why a player lasts until the end of the draft.

If we want to take an optimistic spin on things, think of Poyer as this year's version of Vontaze Burfict: highly rated originally, then had a terrible Combine which combined with some off-field problems to drive his stock down. In Burfict's case he ended up as an UDFA signing with Cincy, then started 14 games and racked up 127 tackles for them, which would be a successful rookie year for a 1st rounder, much less a guy who fell out of the draft completely.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 9 2013, 12:14 PM) *
To circle back to the original topic, if Poyer becomes our regular dime corner this year, plus some special teams contributions, I'll consider the pick a success. He was rated higher than a 7th round pick by most ratings I've seen, but at the same time there's usually reasons why a player lasts until the end of the draft.

If we want to take an optimistic spin on things, think of Poyer as this year's version of Vontaze Burfict: highly rated originally, then had a terrible Combine which combined with some off-field problems to drive his stock down. In Burfict's case he ended up as an UDFA signing with Cincy, then started 14 games and racked up 127 tackles for them, which would be a successful rookie year for a 1st rounder, much less a guy who fell out of the draft completely.

Burfict's season would be great for any player...not just a rookie...

on a side note for your Poyer entertainment...

http://the700level.com/eagles/watch-eagles...5-foot-8-shelf/

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.