Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: QB Competition Preseason Rotations??
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
If we are going to have a fair open QB competition, you need to change your preseason game QB rotations IMO.

Where before, the starter would play a few series in game one, then a quarter, then a half, then nothing, it needs to change.

A fair QB competiion would have all three QB's playing two consecutive series at a time throughout the game, so that they each have equal time with the starters and all the depth and fodder units. Maybe you throw the 4th and 5th guys a bone late in the 4th but really, it needs to be a wide open competition and planned for in that manner.

Thoughts?

How do you think the players would liek sucha plan?
Zero
I would think that by the time TC rolls around Chip will have a good feel for his seating chart ... er, depth chart.
samaroo
I agree with Zero. If we're seeing a rotation like that in preseason, i don't think it bodes well for us. If there's not some kind of decision by then, I'll be real surprised.
Eyrie
Agree with the first two replies, and I'll add that by that point Kelly will have designed an offense to maximise the production of the starting QB. That will either suit Vick, or it will suit Foles and Barkley. I think everyone is familiar with my thoughts on that by now.

In addition I think the rest of the roster would prefer some certainty about such a key position.
GQSmooth
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 6 2013, 05:56 AM) *
Agree with the first two replies, and I'll add that by that point Kelly will have designed an offense to maximise the production of the starting QB. That will either suit Vick, or it will suit Foles and Barkley. I think everyone is familiar with my thoughts on that by now.

In addition I think the rest of the roster would prefer some certainty about such a key position.

I can't see the position not being decided by preseason games. Yeah in public the team will keep it quiet but by that point there should be a hierarchy and the team should be getting the guys as much experience as possible.
nephillymike
I am surprised that everyone expects and is OK with a "fair" QB competition being over and decided before the first preseason game.

No way I'm OK with that. Let them fight it out including the preseason games. Name the starter after PS game #3.
D Rock
Obviously, we're all speculating, but . . .

It would seem logical to me, that we essentially have 2 separate competitions taking place.

The first is Vick vs. Vick.

Kelly will want to see if Vick can be something other than that which he's been his whole life. If he can learn the physical mechanics of the read/option. If he can accurately diagnose defenses pre-snap. If he can make the correct decision on what/when/where to go with the ball. Finally, can he develop any semblance of ball security.

Those are a lot of mighty big IFs and why I think Vick a long shot at best.

The 2nd competition is between Foles and Barkley to see who plays when (if) Vick fails in competition the first.

I would expect the answer to the Vick vs. Vick question to be apparent relatively early. Certainly before the 2nd preseason game.

The later could take longer.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 6 2013, 04:25 PM) *

It would seem logical to me, that we essentially have 2 separate competitions taking place.

Kelly will want to see if Vick can be something other than that which he's been his whole life. If he can learn the physical mechanics of the read/option. If he can accurately diagnose defenses pre-snap. If he can make the correct decision on what/when/where to go with the ball. Finally, can he develop any semblance of ball security.

The 2nd competition is between Foles and Barkley to see who plays when (if) Vick fails in competition the first.

I would expect the answer to the Vick vs. Vick question to be apparent relatively early. Certainly before the 2nd preseason game.

Now that is an extremely fair take on Vick and I think very accurate...who are you and what have you done with D?????

laugh.gif laugh.gif
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 6 2013, 03:35 PM) *
I am surprised that everyone expects and is OK with a "fair" QB competition being over and decided before the first preseason game.

No way I'm OK with that. Let them fight it out including the preseason games. Name the starter after PS game #3.

I'm not saying the starter should be set in stone, and Foles and Barkley should both get quality time in PS action, but Chip should have an idea of who he's going with before the first game. If one or the other shows to be noticeably better during live action, obviously he'll get the nod, but I'd expect the same during the regular season as well.

@D: I do think Chip will take a good, long look at Vick. I don't think I'd be able to just dump him outright simply because his skill-set is so tantalizing, especially to a mind like Chip's, but i think (hope) that he sticks to what he's said numerous times is what he wants in a QB, which I'm sure he's smart enough to realize is not Vick.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 6 2013, 11:38 PM) *
Now that is an extremely fair take on Vick and I think very accurate...who are you and what have you done with D?????

laugh.gif laugh.gif

100% consistent with my opinion of vick from day 1.

I don't think he can do it. We'll see.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 6 2013, 04:25 PM) *

That's a very good take on the situation. Exception being is I don't know what part the read option will have with this offense. Kelly's got me all confused as to what he will do.
D Rock
I think it's predicated on who wins the gig.

It's seems to me that should Vick suddenly turn into a decent quarterback, we'd see a good amount of the read option in Kelly's Eagles.

If Vick is still Vick, and we're watching Foles/Barkley under center . . . we're likely not going to see a great deal of it.

Kelly obviously likes it assuming that "Fishduck" guy's knowledge is equal to his effort. But he's had success with less mobile quarterbacks with his system not featuring that wrinkle.
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 7 2013, 04:26 AM) *
Kelly obviously likes it assuming that "Fishduck" guy's knowledge is equal to his effort. But he's had success with less mobile quarterbacks with his system not featuring that wrinkle.

That's the bit that the Vick supporters keep overlooking - Kelly will adapt his system to suit the QB and not choose a QB based on a system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.