Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting Video Of Chip Kelly vs. Harbaugh
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/5/...with-chip-kelly

Attacking an opponent's weakest spot.
Making in-game on the fly adjustments.
I don't see us scripting the first 15 plays anymore.
Eyrie
Scripting plays you want to try early isn't necessarily a bad idea, since the principle is to see how the opposition respond to certain packages and alignments. The trick is to use what you learn, which our now-departed super-genius never quite managed.

I suspect that Kelly will take a more gung-ho approach and call plays early that he expects to succeed because his strategy early is to take the lead rather than probe for weaknesses. We do know that he will then be flexible based on what he sees.
Zero
I may be being unfair to Andy, but I always thought his position was to make the defense respond to him. The approach was that he was the chess master and he would force the opposition react to his moves.

This seems to be the exact opposite of what we're hearing about Kelly. One presumes that you have a superior strategy and the other that you have the ability to counter the strategy of the opposition. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

There was another video following that one: Jaws, Bayless and Helmet-head discussing Kelly and how his approach will work in the NFL. Also interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...Une64KeS8#t=14s
Zero
Here's another comment on this subject. What's being said about Kelly's approach reminds me of that scene in one of the Indiana Jones movies where Harrison Ford is facing off with a huge guy in a market area in Cairo (or someplace). Both are sporting swords when Ford realizes he's likely dead in a sword fight, says "screw it", pulls his revolver and shoots the guy. biggrin.gif
nephillymike
I remember not long ago hearing an ex Eagle player, I think it was BWest, who criticised Andy for just this shortfall I'm talking about. There would be an obvious personnel weakness on th eopposition, and instead of just scheming to get your best WR on their weakest CB, he would go around it. He also mentioned that he would do the same thing on obvious OL matchup advantages we had. He said it was about the system matchups with Andy, not the players. You could sense the tone of frustration in BWest when he said it.

I welcome the change.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ May 4 2013, 07:52 AM) *
Here's another comment on this subject. What's being said about Kelly's approach reminds me of that scene in one of the Indiana Jones movies where Harrison Ford is facing off with a huge guy in a market area in Cairo (or someplace). Both are sporting swords when Ford realizes he's likely dead in a sword fight, says "screw it", pulls his revolver and shoots the guy. biggrin.gif

Fun fact - Harrison Ford was supposed to have a long, drawn out swordfight with the guy before using his whip to disarm him, but got sick during this portion of filming. Instead he suggested just shooting the guy, and Spielberg agreed.

nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 4 2013, 10:50 AM) *
Fun fact - Harrison Ford was supposed to have a long, drawn out swordfight with the guy before using his whip to disarm him, but got sick during this portion of filming. Instead he suggested just shooting the guy, and Spielberg agreed.

What's your point?

So was Andy sick that Tampa Bay NFCCG when we were blowing them off the line early with Duce and then we decided to just "throw" it away?? mad.gif

I know, I know. Maybe I should not have stopped those therapy sessions. biggrin.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 4 2013, 11:23 AM) *
He also mentioned that he would do the same thing on obvious OL matchup advantages we had. He said it was about the system matchups with Andy, not the players. You could sense the tone of frustration in BWest when he said it.

Not to mention disadvantages. Remember the Winston Justice game? (How many coaches have games under their reign that are named after individual offensive linemen) How many sacks does it take before you give Justice some help? I also remember a game where DeMarcus Ware had 3 sacks, constantly having Owen Schmitt assigned to him 1 on 1. Look, he created a gameplan, stuck with it, and won or lost by it, with absolutely no ability to think on his feet or adjust. Once JJ died, his flaws became too much to keep the team competitive. The Reid apologists constantly deny it, but it'll happen again in KC. At least Kelly will never allow one player on the defense to have 6 sacks.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 4 2013, 11:56 AM) *
What's your point?

So was Andy sick that Tampa Bay NFCCG when we were blowing them off the line early with Duce and then we decided to just "throw" it away?? mad.gif

I know, I know. Maybe I should not have stopped those therapy sessions. biggrin.gif

Andy was mentally sick that game. Harrison Ford had food poisoning. wink.gif
Reality Fan
it is too funny reading all the obsessions with the former coach...he is gone......and history rewrites itself constantly....I actually thought it was Kotite I was reading about. For a guy with all those flaws he is what? The luckiest guy in the world? Lets see....he had JJ...if he won it was the NFC was weak......he could not adjust....he thought he was smarter than everyone...the list goes on and yet he won a ton of games, divisions, playoff games.....what a lucky fuck.

I agree losing JJ hurt the team but so did losing guys like Harbaugh et al. I think the fact of the matter is as the assistants began to leave it appears th FO dynamic fractured as well. Whether it was Banner trying to take over and exert his will or whatever but the approach to team building changed dramatically and the team fabric crumbled year to year. It is too Reids great discredit that he could not or did not do anything to change that or stop it. I think it is idiocy to assume a coach who won as much as he did can't adjust in game and still win. If that is the case than he was indeed smarter than everyone else if his game plan survived 60 minutes of adjustments by other coaches, you know...the geniuses. Reid's flaws were his loyalty, his coaching hires after 2004 and his faith in delegating coaching responsibilities and not correcting those fast enough.

The guy is gone and it appears we have a very favorable replacement....let enjoy that.......of course some folks just like being miserable pricks....have fun with that....it is like the guy who never stops bitching about the ex-wife to the new GF...
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 4 2013, 12:26 PM) *
Reid's flaws were his loyalty, his coaching hires after 2004 and his faith in delegating coaching responsibilities and not correcting those fast enough.

Even if those points were his only issues, they are fatal flaws for a HC. It demonstrates a clear lack of ability to make decisions beneficial to the team.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 4 2013, 12:26 PM) *
it is too funny reading all the obsessions with the former coach...

Not very funny at all. Reid did a lot of good things as HC of the Eagles but he also had (has?) his faults. Is it improper to vent about the frustrations one felt for several years regarding those faults?
... of course some folks just like being miserable pricks....have fun with that....it is like the guy who never stops bitching about the ex-wife to the new GF...
You puzzle me sometimes. Were you appointed the "honorable defend Reid guard" for every thread? Most of the comments I read in this thread are nothing more than the natural reaction of comparing one's perception of someone who was a 14 year resident in our consciousness with his replacement. No offense, but I don't see the harm or psychological derangement in doing that but I do find it curious that a reasonable individual grounded in "reality" would refer to them as "miserable pricks." hunch.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
laugh.gif @ Fantasy Fan

I actually thought it was Kotite I was reading about

Really? Well, with the references to 'Andy,' 'BWest,' 'Winston Justice,' 'DeMarcus Ware,' 'Owen Schmitt,' and countless others, only an accomplished fool would think we're referring to Kotite.

he had JJ...if he won it was the NFC was weak......he could not adjust....he thought he was smarter than everyone

You forgot 'he had McNabb and that one great year that Vick had.' Sure they were his decisions, bringing JJ and them here, and they ended up being great decisions, hiding his flaws for a decade.

of course some folks just like being miserable pricks....have fun with that....it is like the guy who never stops bitching about the ex-wife to the new GF...

Project much? I'm excited as hell, and from the looks of it, the only person on this thread who's acting like a miserable child who was sent to bed without dinner is you. We all seem to be enjoying what's coming, it'll be one hell of an exciting and fresh August/Sept. - perhaps you should accept the fact you've been proven wrong time and time again and just join us in anticipating the season, instead of bitching every time someone compares our new coach to our dear departed Walrus. It's going to happen a lot, I promise you - deal with it.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 4 2013, 01:55 PM) *
laugh.gif @ Fantasy Fan

Really? Well, with the references to 'Andy,' 'BWest,' 'Winston Justice,' 'DeMarcus Ware,' 'Owen Schmitt,' and countless others, only an accomplished fool would think we're referring to Kotite.

You forgot 'he had McNabb and that one great year that Vick had.' Sure they were his decisions, bringing JJ and them here, and they ended up being great decisions, hiding his flaws for a decade.

Project much? I'm excited as hell, and from the looks of it, the only person on this thread who's acting like a miserable child who was sent to bed without dinner is you. We all seem to be enjoying what's coming, it'll be one hell of an exciting and fresh August/Sept. - perhaps you should accept the fact you've been proven wrong time and time again and just join us in anticipating the season, instead of bitching every time someone compares our new coach to our dear departed Walrus. It's going to happen a lot, I promise you - deal with it.

See...that is what I like about you...you are too obtuse too realize that was sarcasm......but you never hesitate to prove your not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

And you are obviously one of the mental midgets that feel Reid's success was predicated on the longest streak of luck in human history....it was this player and that player or this coach and that coach or a bad division or anything other than the guy was and is a good coach.....

But riddle me this genius...what coach in the NFL has not benefited from good players and assistant coaches? which guy was so good he won with no studs and/or bad coaches?

Reid paid the price for his last round of coaching hires. Now we will see what happens in KC....I am sure if he wins there no doubt you will credit anyone but him....

and as far as happy and excited? I can't wait for the season and I think Kelly will do a great job but I was not the one who brought up all the flaws of the former coach to make my self feel good about Kelly..I am excited about Kelly for what he is and brings to the table, not what he replaces. The guy he replaces brought a hell of a lot of great times and memories. I am hoping Kelly does that and more.

House of Pain?....hahahahahaha what are you 12?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ May 4 2013, 01:54 PM) *
Not very funny at all. Reid did a lot of good things as HC of the Eagles but he also had (has?) his faults. Is it improper to vent about the frustrations one felt for several years regarding those faults?
You puzzle me sometimes. Were you appointed the "honorable defend Reid guard" for every thread? Most of the comments I read in this thread are nothing more than the natural reaction of comparing one's perception of someone who was a 14 year resident in our consciousness with his replacement. No offense, but I don't see the harm or psychological derangement in doing that but I do find it curious that a reasonable individual grounded in "reality" would refer to them as "miserable pricks." hunch.gif

There is no puzzle at all......I am glad they got a new coach...and I am excited about Kelly but if someone wants to vent about a guy who is gone than I should not disagree? Reid is gone and it was the right move so let him go, thank him for the memories and move on. If the guy was a horrible coach then I would fully support all the silliness spoken about him but if Reid was anyone's idea of a bad coach than they are an idiot regarding the game of football and with all the positive vibes coming out of this organization right if someone needs to feel good by slamming the last coach than I have to say...they are pretty miserable.....like bitching on a sunny day.......
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ May 4 2013, 01:08 PM) *
Even if those points were his only issues, they are fatal flaws for a HC. It demonstrates a clear lack of ability to make decisions beneficial to the team.

yep.....how did he ever win a game......

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 4 2013, 10:59 PM) *
See...that is what I like about you...you are too obtuse too realize that was sarcasm......but you never hesitate to prove your not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

And you are obviously one of the mental midgets that feel Reid's success was predicated on the longest streak of luck in human history....it was this player and that player or this coach and that coach or a bad division or anything other than the guy was and is a good coach.....

But riddle me this genius...what coach in the NFL has not benefited from good players and assistant coaches? which guy was so good he won with no studs and/or bad coaches?

Reid paid the price for his last round of coaching hires. Now we will see what happens in KC....I am sure if he wins there no doubt you will credit anyone but him....

and as far as happy and excited? I can't wait for the season and I think Kelly will do a great job but I was not the one who brought up all the flaws of the former coach to make my self feel good about Kelly..I am excited about Kelly for what he is and brings to the table, not what he replaces. The guy he replaces brought a hell of a lot of great times and memories. I am hoping Kelly does that and more.

House of Pain?....hahahahahaha what are you 12?

laugh.gif

In urban dictionary, here is the #2 definition of 'Troll Bait' :

"Someone whose opinionated, volatile, easily offended, insecure nature makes them super-easy targets."

Thanks for taking the bait Fantasy Fan. It's just too easy.....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 4 2013, 11:33 PM) *
laugh.gif

In urban dictionary, here is the #2 definition of 'Troll Bait' :

"Someone whose opinionated, volatile, easily offended, insecure nature makes them super-easy targets."

Thanks for taking the bait Fantasy Fan. It's just too easy.....

from house of pain moniker to urban dictionary definitions.....confirmation received....you are 12.....now go back to your xbox and behave

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.