Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: geno smith the donald fagen of quarterbacks
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
The Hits Keep Coming
Phits
"League Executive"....hahahahaha....definitely quality sources rolleyes.gif
D Rock
Actually he says his source was a member of his "family."

Dreagon
"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft.

That's okay. Give him a couple of years on the Jets and he'll wish he still didn't know it.
Zero
There's been too many reports about his personality for there not to be some shred of fact to it all. I'm very happy he's not an Eagle!
HobbEs
There's been too many reports about his personality for there not to be some shred of fact to it all. I'm very happy he's not an Eagle!

bowdown.gif
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ May 2 2013, 08:01 AM) *

It's surprising that he has "so many" character/personality issues. Just a few months ago, he was considered to be a model citizen with a bright future ahead of him. Suddenly he has issues that extend beyond the football field.
D Rock
Suddenly? The reports of extreme douche baggery have been there from day one. From my own look at available info, it seems about 50/50 between those that say he's great and those that say he's a hopeless douche. What's always struck me is which side has more incentive to deceive. Coaches don't bash their own players. GMs want you to believe they love a guy, if only to throw you off the track of who they truly covet.

In the end, actions speak louder than words. Draft day, followed by firing his agent after tearfully declaring them "family for my entire career" the night before pretty much tells anyone who's listening which side was being truthful.

Dude is a ginormous douche.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 1 2013, 07:59 PM) *

This sort of "analysis" is some bullshit. National Enquirer grade.
No one was drafting QBs in this draft, that's why he slipped. The end.

If this guy is an "expert"...
mcnabbulous
D Rock
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ May 2 2013, 04:09 PM) *
This sort of "analysis" is some bullshit. National Enquirer grade.
No one was drafting QBs in this draft, that's why he slipped. The end.

Because none were worthy of being drafted highly. That's why no one was drafting QBs. Do you think if there were a Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Tennehil, RG3, or Luck in this draft folks would have still not taken 1st round quarterbacks?

The guy doesn't claim to be "an expert." Merely a reporter sharing info as . . . you know . . . a reporter.

JeeQ
I think it was telling when Chip said they vetted him multiple times, and still didn't think he was first round worthy.
nephillymike
That's some pretty critical stuff. They may be on to something. We'll be able to see it play out in NY to see if this guys was right.
mcnabbulous
I think the fact that he was vetted multiple times means that they were intrigued by many facets of his game. Obviously something didn't do it for them. Whether it be personality, hand size, etc. Probably a combination of things.

The fact that the whole crew went out there tells me they at least considered it a possibility at some point.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ May 2 2013, 10:32 AM) *
It's surprising that he has "so many" character/personality issues. Just a few months ago, he was considered to be a model citizen with a bright future ahead of him. Suddenly he has issues that extend beyond the football field.

I haven't been bashing Smith but I also don't remember ever hearing these kinds of things about a player who has been slated to be drafted as high as this. Either he pissed some people off pretty badly; there is an unusual, collaborative effort to defame him; or, there's something to it. Where else have you seen this happen to a player?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ May 2 2013, 01:40 PM) *
I haven't been bashing Smith but I also don't remember ever hearing these kinds of things about a player who has been slated to be drafted as high as this. Either he pissed some people off pretty badly; there is an unusual, collaborative effort to defame him; or, there's something to it. Where else have you seen this happen to a player?

Well, I read on PFT that he thought his agents did a shitty job after that hit piece came out on ProFootallWeekly. Which I'd agree with. Frankly, we've all been questioning the advice he's been given. So those things contributed to them firing him.

Now that he's fired his agents, more stuff is coming out about him. It just seems a bit suspicious. The guy has absolutely no criminal history that I'm aware of. He seems to be a solid citizen. Maybe his demeanor isn't what everyone is looking for in a QB, but it seems like it could be a hell of a lot worse. Certainly not enough to warrant this type of criticism.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 2 2013, 06:49 PM) *
we've all been questioning the advice he's been given.

The only issue where the quality of his advisers was called into question around here was his "imon take my ball and go home" tantrum after round 1 of the draft. He was obviously talked down from the ledge by his advisers, but at that point . . . his petulance had already done the damage.

Likewise, are you suggesting his former agents are now bashing him? That would be a counter productive move on the part of any sports agency wanting to sign future players in future years.

Ask yourself this . . .

Who's new at this game, Geno or his former agents? Is it more likely that a group of law degree holding sports agents with a decade or longer track record of satisfying numerous clients in multiple sports arenas screwed the pooch on their 'big ticket' asset this draft cycle? Or is it more likely that another self important douche bag of a would be NFL star refuses to see his own flaws and systematically blames others for his own failures? This moron actually believed he was going to be the first overall pick. He's gone on record as saying he's the next "Brady, Payton, Rogers" in the NFL. Most guys tend to downplay their respective "NFL dopplegangers" but Geno is only too happy to put himself in such rarified light. -idiot-
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 2 2013, 04:10 PM) *
The only issue where the quality of his advisers was called into question around here was his "imon take my ball and go home" tantrum after round 1 of the draft. He was obviously talked down from the ledge by his advisers, but at that point . . . his petulance had already done the damage.

Likewise, are you suggesting his former agents are now bashing him? That would be a counter productive move on the part of any sports agency wanting to sign future players in future years.

Ask yourself this . . .

Who's new at this game, Geno or his former agents? Is it more likely that a group of law degree holding sports agents with a decade or longer track record of satisfying numerous clients in multiple sports arenas screwed the pooch on their 'big ticket' asset this draft cycle? Or is it more likely that another self important douche bag of a would be NFL star refuses to see his own flaws and systematically blames others for his own failures? This moron actually believed he was going to be the first overall pick. He's gone on record as saying he's the next "Brady, Payton, Rogers" in the NFL. Most guys tend to downplay their respective "NFL dopplegangers" but Geno is only too happy to put himself in such rarified light. -idiot-

I'm not the only one suggesting it. Fires agents, next day story comes out bashing him.

Like I said, the guy has done nothing questionable off the field. He's not in the Cam Newton, paid to play category either. He doesn't have a bunch of kids, he's not been suspended for drug abuses, and he doesn't beat up women.

He doesn't meet some arbitrary standard of leadership that some people apparently have. He was such a loser that his once promising team finished with a 7-6 record. I can't imagine what kind of suck ass, no future having QB could let their talented team tumble into such disarray. I'll just sit back and cherish the fact that we have a true leader like Matt Barkley. How'd USC do again? Well, I'm sure he didn't have any talented receivers and he probably beat some really good teams.

So...like I said...I don't get why people are trying to bash the guy. The draft is over, he was selected in the second round by a team other than our own. Now we can sit back and watch what happens.

If only we had spent a mid-rounder on Matt Scott.

D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 2 2013, 10:52 PM) *
I'm not the only one suggesting it. Fires agents, next day story comes out bashing him.

Kindly link a SINGLE example of ANYONE suggesting the negative reports are from his former management team. Just one beyond your own.

The story came out the day after he fired his agents, because the story WAS that he FIRED HIS AGENTS.

-duh-

It's kinda difficult to report that shit before it . . . you know . . . happens.

laugh.gif
D Rock
touche '

Now. Who the hell is Matt Miller?

And for the record . . . Narwocki was right. Geno has proven it at least twice since his "report." And mark my words . . . "The mountain of evidence will only grow from here..."
mcnabbulous
I guess I just don't understand why you care at this point. It's like you're trying to validate your opinion of the guy, but the only thing that will do tha is if he fails on Sundays. So just sit back and let it play out.

Like I said, nothing indicates he's a bad dude. And we sure as hell know there are too many of them in the league. And there are far too few starting caliber QBs. We should all be hoping for more of those.
D Rock
Slow news day. One of the most talked about kids here and throughout the NFL landscape over the past few weeks. Forgive me if the football news of the day is distasteful to you.
JeeQ
Best thing he can do for himself is win games. Everyone loves a winner. Especially in New York.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 3 2013, 01:19 AM) *
Slow news day. One of the most talked about kids here and throughout the NFL landscape over the past few weeks. Forgive me if the football news of the day is distasteful to you.

I get that you don't like him as a player. I'm just saying that the guy doesn't seem to be a bad guy, but you seem to have a vendetta against his personality. I can't quite understand it.

There are many more unlikeable characters in the game.

If I was a 22 year old that had every element of my life poked and prodded for the past several months, they'd probably find a skeleton or two. I suspect you're the same.

Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 3 2013, 10:13 AM) *
I get that you don't like him as a player. I'm just saying that the guy doesn't seem to be a bad guy, but you seem to have a vendetta against his personality. I can't quite understand it.

McNabb, Vick and Geno Smith.....look for the common element between the 3 and you may have the answer.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ May 3 2013, 10:35 AM) *
McNabb, Vick and Geno Smith.....look for the common element between the 3 and you may have the answer.

Meh, I don't think that's the case.

I'm hard on McNabb (post 2004) and Vick, too.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (Phits @ May 3 2013, 11:35 AM) *

They're all black? hunch.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ May 3 2013, 05:03 PM) *
They're all black? hunch.gif

They're all over rated head cases and mediocre quarterbacks.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 3 2013, 11:23 AM) *

I wouldn't quite describe Vick as a head case. Donnie's personality seemed to be overcompensating for something. I'll reserve judgement on Geno.
samaroo
Well, this thread seems to have spiraled down quite quickly...
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 3 2013, 05:25 PM) *
I wouldn't quite describe Vick as a head case.

Ok. How bout "a fellon."

tongue.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 3 2013, 05:36 PM) *
Well, this thread seems to have spiraled down quite quickly...

I know, right?

And it started on such a high note with a Donald Fagen reference that this board completely missed.

ohmy.gif

rock_band.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 3 2013, 11:53 AM) *
I know, right?

And it started on such a high note with a Donald Fagen reference that this board completely missed.

ohmy.gif

rock_band.gif

He's the Steely Dan guy right? I didn't get the connection to Geno??
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 3 2013, 05:23 PM) *

McNabb in his prime was an elite QB, so wrong there (although I'll accept he was high maintenance).

Vick seems to have turned his personal life round, so wrong there (although he has reached the giddy heights of mediocre play at times in his career).

Smith is a kid who needs to spend more time improving than he does listening to flatterers and may turn out to be a decent QB, so too early to say you're right there.

So your score is 2.5/6 tongue.gif
D Rock
Just because nabby was elite for a brief time does not erase the stone cold fact that he was indeed a major head case. I'll spare the board my listing the countless examples he'd offered up over the years.

So too, funding, building and operating a doggy death camp is all I need to see Vick ain't playing w a full deck either.

And a tantrum prone pouter of a rookie quarterback who already lacks the perspective to avoid a victim complex?

Nah.... This trio garners top scores on the "head case scale."
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 4 2013, 09:34 AM) *
Just because nabby was elite for a brief time does not erase the stone cold fact that he was indeed a major head case. I'll spare the board my listing the countless examples he'd offered up over the years.

So too, funding, building and operating a doggy death camp is all I need to see Vick ain't playing w a full deck either.

And a tantrum prone pouter of a rookie quarterback who already lacks the perspective to avoid a victim complex?

as true as some of this is...(I have a hard time lumping McNabb into this.....he was generally a pretty decent guy) the NFL is littered with stories about Diva QBs and their eventual descent into hell from their eccentricities.....many never recovering....

I see Gino heading in that direction........he thinks he is great...which is good for confidence but I get the impression that he has not emerged from the athlete entitlement cocoon so well. Some come out hungry and some come out expecting it to go on forever......we will see how he reacts to a league where everyone was a stud somewhere.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 4 2013, 10:34 AM) *

wow....project much?
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ May 4 2013, 06:01 PM) *
wow....project much?

Just calls it like I sees it.

You love to try to make it personal, but it's just football here man. This may shock you, but this is a forum for expressing football related opinions.

Imagine that.

blink.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 4 2013, 02:38 AM) *
McNabb in his prime was an elite QB, so wrong there (although I'll accept he was high maintenance).

Vick seems to have turned his personal life round, so wrong there (although he has reached the giddy heights of mediocre play at times in his career).

Smith is a kid who needs to spend more time improving than he does listening to flatterers and may turn out to be a decent QB, so too early to say you're right there.

So your score is 2.5/6 tongue.gif

The problem with Mcnabb is that his 'elite' period ended when he was 28. That's when the true greats get started. Mcnabb never accepted that reality. Which is true for a number of members of this board, too.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 2 2013, 11:37 AM) *
Because none were worthy of being drafted highly. That's why no one was drafting QBs. Do you think if there were a Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Tennehil, RG3, or Luck in this draft folks would have still not taken 1st round quarterbacks?

The guy doesn't claim to be "an expert." Merely a reporter sharing info as . . . you know . . . a reporter.

Tannehill?!

RG3, Luck, and Wilson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tannehill.

In football, people put TOO much weight on stuff that has nothing to do with their ability to play the game, much as listed in this stupid "analysis".

Wilson dropped because he was short. Which was STUPID. He was a world-class QB by any measure besides his height. Meanwhile, I have a feeling Seattle might win a title in the next three seasons, just because of how good he is.
D Rock
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ May 5 2013, 01:55 PM) *
Tannehill?!

RG3, Luck, and Wilson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tannehill.

In football, people put TOO much weight on stuff that has nothing to do with their ability to play the game, much as listed in this stupid "analysis".

Wilson dropped because he was short. Which was STUPID. He was a world-class QB by any measure besides his height. Meanwhile, I have a feeling Seattle might win a title in the next three seasons, just because of how good he is.

That doesn't change anything or refute my post. Any of those guys available this year would have gone in round 1. The response was offered to the numb nuts that suggested nobody wanted a qb, and that's why they dropped. The demand was there. But no supply.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 5 2013, 12:05 PM) *
That doesn't change anything or refute my post. Any of those guys available this year would have gone in round 1. The response was offered to the numb nuts that suggested nobody wanted a qb, and that's why they dropped. The demand was there. But no supply.

agreed....if any of those guys were available you have to wonder is Alex Smith goes to KC and there are certainly 6-7 teams that clearly need a QB. That is what makes me even happier with the p/u of Barkley. We may have gotten a top Qb by accident.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 5 2013, 12:05 PM) *

Not really. Of last year's crop, except for Luck and RG3, Tannehill was rated the same as Smith and Weeden lower then them and Wilson's height would have still been seen as his ticket to the 3rd round.

So from a pre draft prospect rating perspective, Luck and RG3 would be top of the draft QB's and you could have still seen Manuel as the lone other 1st rounder with all others waiting until after the first round. Maybe since MIA and CLE wouldn't have had a QB, maybe they thrown their name in the hat and pick one each.

Only RG3 and Luck were seen as better than this year's crop, predraft.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 5 2013, 10:25 PM) *
Only RG3 and Luck were seen as better than this year's crop, predraft.

Horse hockey.

Nick Foles was rated higher than Smith.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 5 2013, 07:01 PM) *
Horse hockey.

Nick Foles was rated higher than Smith.

Nope.

Mayock Had Foles at 71.0, G. Smith 88.0 and had Tannehill at 87.0
Kiper Had Foles at 84.0, G. Smith at 89.0, however had Tannehill rated higher at 94.0
I could not find last year's NFP ratings, they weren't archived.

The above are the three sites I know of that have ratings that are available (as opposed to rankings which everyone has)

FWIW, Mayock had Barkley at 82, Kiper had him at 87 both also better than Foles.

Your dislike for Smith as a QB is well documented.

Stretching the truth to pad the case is not needed IMO.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position

ESPN requires insider access, if you have it I'll link it.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 5 2013, 08:41 PM) *
Nope.

Mayock Had Foles at 71.0, G. Smith 88.0 and had Tannehill at 87.0
Kiper Had Foles at 84.0, G. Smith at 89.0, however had Tannehill rated higher at 94.0
I could not find last year's NFP ratings, they weren't archived.

The above are the three sites I know of that have ratings that are available (as opposed to rankings which everyone has)

FWIW, Mayock had Barkley at 82, Kiper had him at 87 both also better than Foles.

Your dislike for Smith as a QB is well documented.

Stretching the truth to pad the case is not needed IMO.

Boo-Yaa
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.