Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ain't love great!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I remember looking at Andy's picture when he was first hired by the Eagles. I had never heard of the guy before and was a tad worried about the Eagles hiring a QB coach who had never been a coordinator let alone a HC at any level. I read about how he had binders (sorry Mitt) of plans for how he would run a team. I looked at the intense look on his face in that picture and said "who wouldn't like this guy?"

The first few years were a lot of fun. I never minded that he didn't reveal anything when he talked to media. Loose lips sink ships. Hegaman. Donnie running. The three headed monster. JJ. The Eagles were climbing out of Rhodes' house of horrors where women and children were molested in their own homes.

What wasn't to like? We were winning and everyone was respecting the Eagles.

But at some point as fans we seemed to become irrelevant. The podium evasion evolved from protection of players and strategy to arrogance. It felt like the sudden realization that your wife had fallen out of love with you years ago. No hurt, just an empty feeling of helplessness and apathy. Frustration was more the point than anger. In retrospect I felt as if I had been put in a cage for my own good without fully realizing I had become a prisoner of the team I love.

I, we had to escape the cage and mercifully the cage was opened when Reid was fired. Kelly may be a great coach some day or he may end up as a village idiot but I don't sense that we will ever see the inside of that cage with him.

It's still the honeymoon and I'm sure we'll find enough warts to talk about. I suspect that this marriage will be a lot of fun. We may find this relationship to be either the envy of all the league or we'll know from the beginning that Kelly is a flirt and a cheat but I doubt we'll ever have any question about where he stands.

I'm really liking the freedom from that cage. The W-L this year isn't the point for me because right now it's all about the relationship. Watching and feeling it grow. Enjoying the surprises and shrugging off the disagreements.

I'm in love again and I like it. biggrin.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ May 1 2013, 06:05 AM) *
But at some point as fans we seemed to become irrelevant.

I think you're confusing this for...we started losing. Chip will seem very charming while things are good, and all those traits will be a bit more annoying when they're not.

'Tis the way things go.
samaroo
QUOTE (Zero @ May 1 2013, 07:05 AM) *
I'm in love again and I like it. biggrin.gif

I second this. I just hope. we all give him a chance to show what he's got. For me, that's at least 3 years.

But I'm excited!!!
D Rock
The only thing holding me back from 100% buyin in, is the fact they kept Vick around. But for that, we'd be seeing something different this season.

Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 1 2013, 08:37 PM) *
The only thing holding me back from 100% buyin in, is the fact they kept Vick around. But for that, we'd be seeing something different this season.

He's a veteran QB His roster spot isn't guaranteed. Give him a chance see what happens. Worst case scenario he gets cut. Best case scenario he becomes a better QB under the CK regiment.
samaroo
Yeah, I went excited about MV sticking around either, but it's not like we sacrificed anything to keep him for now. If nothing else, he's motivation for the younger guys to beat out. I really don't see him starting this year. (Fingers crossed!)
nephillymike
Andy Reid never made the connection that his press conferences were his commuication with the fans. This city wants to be involved in its sports teams. It needs to know.

When you win as he did, fans were able to forgive the arrogance of the podium.

Start to lose and the tolerance is gone.

It's a shame.

Probably 80% of the head coaches in the NFL are adept at providing information at the podium without throwing players under the bus. Andy just was never able to improve that part of his game.

I welcome the change and while I preferred Bradley, I am very happy with everything I've seen/heard from Chip over the last few months.
samaroo
Yep, excitement all around! How long until September?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.