Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can we all please take a break...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
. . . from this crazy speculation about "Chipper's offense" and it's quarterback prerequisites?

From what I can gather, Chip was never able to secure a commitment from a top blue chip quarterback while recruiting for the ducks.

Isn't it possible that his offense would look quite a bit different with an NFL quality QB running the offensive show than with the crew of also rans he had in Oregon?

I think (obviously speculating) that Chip (or any coach) would prefer a quality passer/field general to the sorts of QBs he ran with in Eugene.

To preclude a solid pocket passer or devalue them because it's perceived that dog shit quarterbacks with athleticism are the preferred animal is silly at this early juncture in the Kelly regime.

I simply don't believe Vick has a leg up in this competition over Foles/Barkley. And Dixon? Please.

GetchoPopcornReady.
Zero
Yes. We don't know what he's doing on O or D.
TGryn
I think we have a pretty good idea of the scheme on D, its going to be the Under 4-3 that Billy Davis has run everywhere he's been. To the casual fan, it'll look like we're running a 3-4, but the one OLB is more like a standup DE in terms of his coverage responsibilities (or lack thereof). We've been getting the personnel - NT, etc. - to run the thing, so that seems like a safe bet.

On offense, I have no idea what scheme we're going with . We've been assuming it'd just be the Oregon zone-read transported to the NFL, but the draft direction suggests it might well be something else. It'll probably be much faster paced than what we've gotten used to with Reid, with many fewer huddles, which can be good and bad.
mcnabbulous
I think it will be an up-tempo WCO. I don't think the play types will differ dramatically from what we have seen under Andy. I think the difference will be the play calling and mismatches.

Chip likes the up-tempo stuff because it doesn't allow the defense to modify personnel on the fly.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 29 2013, 09:50 PM) *
I think it will be an up-tempo WCO. I don't think the play types will differ dramatically from what we have seen under Andy. I think the difference will be the play calling and mismatches.

Chip likes the up-tempo stuff because it doesn't allow the defense to modify personnel on the fly.

Other than tempo, I'm thinking the chief differences will be in the run/pass ratio and the % of plays where we see multiple TEs in the formation including a notable % of plays where we'll see Celek, Ertz and Casey on the field.
SLOiggles
What I see from this offense is the up-tempo no huddle shove it down a defense's throat. Casey, Ertz, and Celek all could be on the field or some variation with just two of them. That poses a threat to the defenses in numerous ways.

First and foremost, there would be in essence five tight end capable big guys on the line (if you count both Peters and Johnson) and all are capable of blocking down field. That is an enormous task for a defense to have to account for all that size in motion. Next, we haven't even begun to fully comprehend the possibility of both McCoy and Brown on the field together.

Offensively, I'm about as giddy as a pig in manure. Defensively, well, I don't trust Billy Davis. I also don't fully trust the "talent" we have on defense.
HobbEs
Yes. We don't know what he's doing on O or D.

But that's part of what makes this offseason so much fun, right?

Like I said in another thread it looks like Chip may run a similar scheme to New England (based on who he drafted). On a certain level it makes sense because he knows what elements of his offense are successful in the pros because of Belichick already running them.

One difference is that Chip is supposed to like the WCO routes that the receivers run...hence the hiring of Pat Shurmer. I envision DJax in a Wes Welker role with a lot of quick slants. I have no idea what the running game will look like since we don't have a real FB. I guess a lot of one back/two TE sets?
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 29 2013, 08:28 PM) *
. . . from this crazy speculation about "Chipper's offense" and it's quarterback prerequisites?

From what I can gather, Chip was never able to secure a commitment from a top blue chip quarterback while recruiting for the ducks.

Isn't it possible that his offense would look quite a bit different with an NFL quality QB running the offensive show than with the crew of also rans he had in Oregon?

I think (obviously speculating) that Chip (or any coach) would prefer a quality passer/field general to the sorts of QBs he ran with in Eugene.

To preclude a solid pocket passer or devalue them because it's perceived that dog shit quarterbacks with athleticism are the preferred animal is silly at this early juncture in the Kelly regime.

I simply don't believe Vick has a leg up in this competition over Foles/Barkley. And Dixon? Please.

GetchoPopcornReady.

I never bought into the "dog shit QB with athleticism" argument in the first place and I see Barkley's arrival as confirming my prediction that Kelly will emphasise the traditional QB skills of decision making and accuracy instead. Just at one hell of a tempo as has already been noted.
samaroo
I think our O will mostly be concerned with one thing (alluded to by many in this thread)...matchup.

Our TE situation absolutely reeks of this, and I can't wait to see it in action. A DJax screen with 2 or 3 TEs blocking in front? Yes please!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.