Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Draft Redo. Based on the Board and BPA, BPA-PON
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Just did a little exercise, seeing if based on where the prospects were ranked and the consensus opinions of positions of need, how the draft could look if we drafted best player available and best player availableat a position of need, and an adjuste BPAPON. The sources pretty much said we had a need at every position exept for ILB, WR, RB, TE, OC, K, P, FB.

The rankings I used to determine the "draft board" was just a compilation of the rankings from nine different internet sources. The picks other teams make come off the board in the same order as they did in the draft. Also, I only draft 3-4 DE's DT's and OLB's, no 43 guys.

I did the draft three ways: 1. Strictly BPA but not drafting two QB's 2. BPA at positions of need assuming that the needs are defined as above. 3. What I would do, removing QB from my list of needs and changing away from PON in the 6th and 7th rounds and just going with BPA in those rounds regardless of position

Best Player Available (Name, Pos, rank)
4. C. Warmack OG (6)
35. G. Smith QB (17)
67. K. Allen WR (25)
98. J. Williams DT34 (39)
136. J. Randle RB (69)
212. D. Rodgers WR (77)
218. J. Poyer CB (89)
239. K. Reddick ILB (93)

Going strictly BPA, gives us 8 picks all in the top 93, four in the top 50!!

Best Player Available, Adjusted For Positions of Need
4. C. Warmack OG (6)
35. G. Smith QB (17)
67. T. Carradine OLB34 (29)
98. J. Williams DT34 (39)
136. J. Poyer CB (89)
212. T. Jefferson FS (118)
218. R. Freigel OT (125)
239. J. Kruger DE34 (157)

Notice going with BPAPON, our lowest pick is 157, a full two rounds lower than the 93 from BPA

The NEPM Draft - Best Player Available Pos of Need rnds 1-5, No QB in need, and strict BPA only after round 5
4. C. Warmack OG (6)
35. T. Carradine OLB34 (29)
67. J. Williams DT34 (39)
98. J. Poyer CB (89)
136. W. Ghoulston DE34 (94)
212. D. Rogers WR (77)
218. K. Reddick ILB (93)
239. C. Thomas OLB34 (96)

Going this way, gives us 8 picks all in the top 96, three in the top 50. We address five different needs in 1st 5 picks.

The boring fine print is below. Read at your own risk, stop here if you have a weak stomach!
========================================================================
Pick #4.
The board says Milliner, Floyd, Warmack, Lotulelei and Johnson in that order as the BPA. I remove Milliner b/c of the new info on his five surgeries, and remove Floyd b/c many see him as only a 4-3 guy

Pick at #4 BPA = Warmack OG for both best player available and bpa position of need. We draft him and keep Herremans at RT.

Pick #35
The BPA's are G. Smith (17), K Allen (25), Te'o (27), Brown (28), Carradine (29)

The BPA pick is G. Smith QB and he is also the BPA at PON

Pick #67
The BPA's are K. Allen (25), Carradine (29), D. Moore (30), Barkley (35), J. Williams (39)

The BPA is K. Allen WR rated 25th and the BPAPON is T. Carradine OLB34 rated 29th

Pick #98
The BPA's are J. Williams (39), Okafor (45), Patton (49), T. Wilson (54), K Greene (58)

The BPA is J. Williams DT34 and he is also the BPAPON.

Pick #136
The BPA's are J. Randle (69), D. Rogers (77), T. Bray (79), Ellington (83), Franklin (85), Poyer (89)

The BPA is RB J. Randle, the BPAPON is CB J. Poyer

Pick #212
The BPA's are

The BPA is WR D. Rogers, the BPAPON is FS T. Jefferson (Poyer was picked prev.on PON, Thomas is an OLB a position we already drafted)

Pick 218

The BPA's are D. Rogers (77), T. Bray (79), J. Poyer (89), K. Reddick (93), C. Thomas (96) T. Jefferson (118), Freigel (125)

The BPA is CB J. Poyer, and the BPA PON is OT R. Freigel (Rogers was picked as the previous BPA, Poyer was picked previously on the BPAPON.

Pick #239

The BPA's are T. Bray (79), K. Reddick (93), C. Thomas (96) T. Jefferson (118), Freigel (125), Kruger (157)

For BPA, we already picked a QB so Bray is out. So the next BPA is ILB K. Reddick

For BPA PON, we already picked a QB, and OLB so Bray and Thomas are out, as are a bunch of others in those positions between 125-156. We already picked Jefferson and Freigel. So that leaves DE34 J Kruger as that next BPAPON

Eyrie
Nice work, but guilty of short term thinking on Warmack. Johnson is going to be our LT when Peters retires and the move to G will extend Herremans' shelf life.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 28 2013, 01:41 PM) *
Nice work, but guilty of short term thinking on Warmack. Johnson is going to be our LT when Peters retires and the move to G will extend Herremans' shelf life.

IMO, Warmack is the Hall of Famer in this draft.

BTW, I would think OT last longer than OG's. MOre congestion on the internal line would seem to bring more injuries.

Why do you say OG exends Todd's shelf life?
D Rock
Smith is not 17th best player.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 28 2013, 07:44 PM) *

BTW, I would think OT last longer than OG's. MOre congestion on the internal line would seem to bring more injuries.

Yup.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 28 2013, 07:44 PM) *

Both reflexes and foot speed start to go with age, which would impact less on a OG than a OT as OTs have to operate in space.

Not sure if there is any evidence either way though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.