Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Barkley pick is the most intriguing
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Although most posters and pundits felt the Eagles needed to draft a QB this year I doubt anyone thought it would be Barkley. Some say he's the most NFL ready of all QBs drafted this year but he doesn't fit what the media has been telling us Kelly wants.

So, how does this all pan out for the Eagles? Who stays and who moves on? Some say Foles will be traded. Others think Vick will be let go. Do they keep all three?

I don't know anything about Kinne but I think Dixon is here for TC to mentor the other QBs on how to play for the coach. Although Dixon may hang on because in a Pederson role I think the best thing for the Eagles is to keep Foles and Barkley to fight it out for #1. No matter who wins the competition the other stays and can eventually be trade bait.

I'm really almost ambivalent about Vick. If I had my choice I'd prefer him to be traded for a player at a position of need. At 33 I doubt he'll improve on his decision making or his propensity for injury and/or turnovers. The bottom line is that the Eagles are starting over and rebuilding and, for me that means a player like Vick is holding back the development of the two young guys.
iggleslover49
The thing is. NOBODY knows what Kelly wants. No matter what he wants to do, he's got a QB to do it. What if we see QBs getting switched week to week depending on what he wants to do vs. certain defenses?
nephillymike
Just heard on CCSN that we now have four QB's who are used to three different systems:

Vick - the stailored offense ofr him at Atl then WCO here
Foles - spread option at Arizona
Barkley - West Coast offense at USC
Dixon - spread option at Oregon

One problem I see is that we need to merge to one style of offense to provide continuity in case of injury or demotion and so that all the other players can focus on one style
mcnabbulous
I think our offense will most resemble the WCO.
JaxEagle
Run all of them in there for a few plays at a time. Think Legion of Doom!
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 28 2013, 03:03 PM) *
Just heard on CCSN that we now have four QB's who are used to three different systems:

One problem I see is that we need to merge to one style of offense to provide continuity in case of injury or demotion and so that all the other players can focus on one style

What a coincidence. Our head coach and o coordinator come from the spread/option and WCO respectively. They've said all along that they were going to use WCO route combinations in the passing game while using the read option approach on the ground.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 28 2013, 10:52 AM) *
What a coincidence. Our head coach and o coordinator come from the spread/option and WCO respectively. They've said all along that they were going to use WCO route combinations in the passing game while using the read option approach on the ground.

I never heard that, where did you hear that?
D Rock
Upon the hiring of shurmer (whatever the hell his name is).

When asked why he'd bring in a WCO coordinator, chip spoke of the route tree and combinations and how shurmer would oversee the passing side of the offense.

Chip seems to me like more of a 30k foot head coach than a micro manager in the Reid mold. Andy clearly wasn't focused on nutrition for example. Chip is looking at every aspect of team life and seemingly delegating the minutiae to those he's hired.
GQSmooth
Probably some combination of WCO and spread. Chip Kelly has studied everything, any advantage he can find he will take advantage of. How many times has he brought up the wing-T? The use of 3 TEs? I just want to see how defenses counter a 3TE formation with one WR and RB. I didn't study Barkley as a prospect since I thought he was so different from the QBs Chip has had in the past.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 28 2013, 03:03 PM) *

Vick is the odd man out, having struggled with the accuracy and timing required for the WCO, which was to be expected based on how he played in Atlanta.

As regards that one style of offense, it needs to fit Foles and Barkley because they are our future at the position for at least two years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.