Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A tight end?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
While Ertz was appropriate value at # 35 (had him 46th best rated prospect), do we really need to address TE here?

We got Casey and Celek.

We are missing a starting DE34 and a starting OLB34.

Our CB and SS/FS spots are thinner than our TE spots IMO.

Yeah the Cyprien thing was a kick in the balls. I would have loved to get him.

But here's a few higher rated prospects I would have preferred:

29th T. Carradine OLB34, selected 40th
36th J. Taylor CB, selected 54th
39th J. Williams DT34, still available
43rd J. Banks, CB, selected 43rd

Anyone else have similar feelings on this pick?
VICKtory
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 12:30 AM) *
While Ertz was appropriate value at # 35 (had him 46th best rated prospect), do we really need to address TE here?

We got Casey and Celek.

It's pretty clear that Chippy wants to create a dominant offense. Also sounds like he's going to use a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets (or 2 TE with Casey at FB). Very interested to see our offense this year. We can end up sending Celek, Casey, and Ertz out there all at once and still have none of them lined up as a tight end. I can't wait to see what he does with the O this year.

Also there are still a solid amount of good secondary players available going into day 3.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 05:30 AM) *

We got Casey and Celek.

Just posted something similar on another thread. If you're agreeing with me then you must be right .....
Zero
I like the pick because of the potential we'll have on offense. Ertz is supposed to be very good, I saw where he was compared to Witten. But I too thought they have bigger needs on the defense and players were there. I'm not getting why they passed on Jesse Williams.
mcnabbulous
I know we all have our obsessions, but damn Mikey, you are too fixated on rankings.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 27 2013, 08:46 AM) *
I know we all have our obsessions, but damn Mikey, you are too fixated on rankings.

As someone that doesn't get the time to watch much college football, nor look at a ton of tape other than the internet highlights for a few, I like to survey a few things 1. Where many sources have a player ranked relative to others 2. How good they think a player will be (ie Pro bowl, solid starter, backup etc) and to a lesser extent, 3. the mock drafts to see where people think they will be drafted. It gives a good picture on what those who study these things know and frames the prospect.

I am no guru by any stretch. As the cop said in Miller's Crossing, "You know me Johnny, I don't know nothin. I'm just specalatling on a hypotenuse".

I've been doing a similar analysis for about ten years. While nobody has everything right, around 80% of the identified reaches do not perform up to where drafted. That is different from saying that the players drafted in the range where they are ranked always do well, that is as big of a crapshoot as always. But, the reaches underperform at a high rate.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any obsessions that you may have. tongue.gif

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 10:57 AM) *
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any obsessions that you may have. tongue.gif

Snuff films
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 27 2013, 11:02 AM) *
Snuff films

I meant Geno Smith by the way, in case that wasn't obvious
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 11:26 AM) *
I meant Geno Smith by the way, in case that wasn't obvious

I know. And I didn't really mean snuff films, in case that wasn't obvious.

*or did I?
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 12:30 AM) *

We got Casey and Celek.

not with Ertz, I think the Eagles could use another TE, since Celek (favorite as he is) is kind of inconsistent. If this guy is a Dallas Clark/Witten type guy... GOOD.

and the O-Line pick was a no-brainer.

Barkley was a "might as well"

Bennie Logan? I don't get it. Sopoaga insurance?
Zero
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Apr 27 2013, 12:50 PM) *
Bennie Logan? I don't get it. Sopoaga insurance?

Sopoaga is an aging vet who will be a great model for Logan for a couple of years. I suspect he won't play much longer than that but if he does he'll have a much younger to to platoon with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.