Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 2013 Draft WTF Award Goes to:
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
OK, lets say for a minute that the Eagles, for some reason, saw the high need for a DT34 to split time with Sopoaga.

I think we had bigger "starters needed immediately" holes to fill like DE34 and OLB34, but let's say they know what position they need to address.

Now we're there at #67, and we need a NT.

We have Bennie Logan, ranked as the 119th best prospect, and Jessie Wiliams, ranked as the 39th best prospect. In everyone of the nine rankings I've followed, Williams is seen as the better prospect of the two.

Williams highest ranking was 26th, his lowest 63rd. So at 67, he is good value.

Logan's best ranking was 71st, his worst 161st.

As far as the three ratings sites, Williams is seen as being an outstanding prospect, and immediate starter and a highly productive starter. Logan on the other hand is rated a solid prospect, an eventual starter and as a quality backup by another source.

If for some reason Logan had some damaging pictures to hold against Chip, we still could have gotten him a round later.

Move over Dreagon, I feel your pain.
make_it_rain
Zero
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Apr 27 2013, 01:49 AM) *

Williams was THERE! I don't get it either.
TGryn
Lawlor has a breakdown of Logan and the possible thinking behind the selection here:
http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles...-2-in-the-books

I still dont see a great fit for Logan in our defense, but his versatility may be one of the things that the scouts and coaches like the most. Logan could play NT and DE in the 3-4, NT and 3-tech in the 4-3. His best fit might be NT in the Nickel and Dime. He can push the pocket and occupy 2 blockers, to free up Fletcher Cox and let the DEs come off the edge. Logan showed some ability to push the pocket at LSU. There were some sets where hed be the NT in a 3-man line and try to collapse the line. Chip Kelly did say the Eagles had a 2nd round grade on Logan. I like the guy, but the Eagles must really like him. Kelly said the team thinks based on his frame that he can carry another 10 to 15 pounds pretty easily. Logan does have 34-inch arms and 10-inch hands so that will help him play DE if they want to try that at times.
We also reportedly took him away from Dallas, which is always a nice bonus.

nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ Apr 27 2013, 08:29 AM) *
Lawlor has a breakdown of Logan and the possible thinking behind the selection here:
http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles...-2-in-the-books

We also reportedly took him away from Dallas, which is always a nice bonus.

Way too slow for DE34.

He's a NT in the 34 or a DT43.

TGryn
This one is illustrative on Logan. On the good side, he shows good mobility and knows how to use his hands to knock down passes. On the bad side, Warmack owns him when they're one-on-one, and he looks like "just a guy" in the mix with LSU's talented defense. I don't see the electric ability that we saw in Cox's predraft film last year, which is probably why Logan's a 3rd rounder while Cox was a 1st.
'
EDIT: Note, you may want to watch this on YouTube (click on the YouTube logo in the lower right after the vid loads up), since there's a box that indicates Logan's position on each play that doesn't show up here, its probably some sort of annotation effect that is turned off when the video is embedded.
GQSmooth
He is disciplined, can play multiple positions and allows defense to take on mobile Qbs.
Zero
Ray Diddy on radio right now praising the picks ... ALL the picks. Says Logan reminds him of a poor man's John Randle. Good value at that spot.

Also likes Ertz. Compares him to Dallas Clark.

DKD here, but sometimes we're surprised that the professionals really do know more than we do ... nah, not possible! laugh.gif
nephillymike
I am listening now from work. I feel a lttiel better about it.

Ray is normally pretty good in his assessments.

The question Glenn didn't ask was at # 67, who are the next ten players you woul dhave selected for the Eagles?

If honest, Ray would not have had him in that list.

I like him a lot better as a 4th round pick.

Ray spoke highly of Jesse Williams previously.

Ray's sleepers this year ( He has a very nice hit rate with stars coming out off his sleeper list):

Brandon Williams DT - He's gone
BW Webb - CB still available
Ryan Swope - WR
DJ Swearinger - S - He's gone
Zero
We could use the CB.
nephillymike
Diddy just said that he thinks that the Iggs picked Logan because he was more of a penatrator as opposed to Williams who is bigger and more of a space eater taking on more blockers for others to make the play. FWIW, Williams is the bigger, heavier, and faster player.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 09:55 AM) *
Diddy just said that he thinks that the Iggs picked Logan because he was more of a penatrator as opposed to Williams who is bigger and more of a space eater taking on more blockers for others to make the play. FWIW, Williams is the bigger, heavier, and faster player.

have you asked yourself why Williams is still available? Even the Ravens and the Seahawks passed on him.
Zero
What I'm getting out of all of this ... I'm a slow learner ... is that everyone's draft board will vary depending on what they value/require in a player. What we see from the scouting reports and rating sites is a general perspective.
iggleslover49
Yeah he's probably here to spell sopoaga cause I can't see him being on the field much. His technique gets REALLY sloppy late in games when he gets tired. I guess I got tired of hearing about "high motor guys" but right now, I think we coulda selected bigger guy with the same motor this guy has. Or fortify our Dime defense/ corner depth with Mathieu. Maybe Chip knows something we don't, considering he's been playing against the guy the past couple years and knows the coaches pretty good.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 27 2013, 10:29 AM) *
have you asked yourself why Williams is still available? Even the Ravens and the Seahawks passed on him.

Why, what is your reason for why they passed on him?

And if you take the best available list from any source of your choice, is the reason they passed on the other best availables the same as Jesse Williams or different?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 10:45 AM) *
Why, what is your reason for why they passed on him?

And if you take the best available list from any source of your choice, is the reason they passed on the other best availables the same as Jesse Williams or different?

I don't look at the mock drafts....every tom, dick and harry puts one out so I don't put a lot of stock in them. Some picks are obvious but when every other team is passing on the guy while a bunch of DTs have taken them that tells me something. When I read the NFL.com profile it tells me something. While his rating is over 80 the synopsis is that he is a big fat guy with small legs who is upper body strong and ends up on his ass a lot. That can play in college but won't do well in the pros. It also says he is not that athletic...translation is that he is a fat ass. The only thing they list is his reps which I assume means that is all he did....he is strong...terrific....but the NFL is about a lot more than that.

I could be wrong but I also realize there is a lot more stuff about all these guys that we don't know no matter how many services you read. There is a reason he is dropping...it may be garbage but something is there.

Update.....williams went....wait...it was duke williams
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 12:23 AM) *
OK, lets say for a minute that the Eagles, for some reason, saw the high need for a DT34 to split time with Sopoaga.

I think we had bigger "starters needed immediately" holes to fill like DE34 and OLB34, but let's say they know what position they need to address.

Now we're there at #67, and we need a NT.

We have Bennie Logan, ranked as the 119th best prospect, and Jessie Wiliams, ranked as the 39th best prospect. In everyone of the nine rankings I've followed, Williams is seen as the better prospect of the two.

Williams highest ranking was 26th, his lowest 63rd. So at 67, he is good value.

Logan's best ranking was 71st, his worst 161st.

As far as the three ratings sites, Williams is seen as being an outstanding prospect, and immediate starter and a highly productive starter. Logan on the other hand is rated a solid prospect, an eventual starter and as a quality backup by another source.

If for some reason Logan had some damaging pictures to hold against Chip, we still could have gotten him a round later.

Move over Dreagon, I feel your pain.

I agree totally with this post. I'm not really high on this draft too much, compared to last year.
And the Eagles were coming off a worse season than they did last year.

There's also a common thread of "guys Chip has seen in the Pac 12" here that is quietly disturbing but I'll leave it there.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 27 2013, 11:50 AM) *
I don't look at the mock drafts....every tom, dick and harry puts one out so I don't put a lot of stock in them. Some picks are obvious but when every other team is passing on the guy while a bunch of DTs have taken them that tells me something. When I read the NFL.com profile it tells me something. While his rating is over 80 the synopsis is that he is a big fat guy with small legs who is upper body strong and ends up on his ass a lot. That can play in college but won't do well in the pros. It also says he is not that athletic...translation is that he is a fat ass. The only thing they list is his reps which I assume means that is all he did....he is strong...terrific....but the NFL is about a lot more than that.

I could be wrong but I also realize there is a lot more stuff about all these guys that we don't know no matter how many services you read. There is a reason he is dropping...it may be garbage but something is there.

Update.....williams went....wait...it was duke williams

The non athletic J Williams runs a much faster 40 than the athlete Logan.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 12:23 PM) *

If you are drafting interior DT's based on 40 times, you're doing it wrong. Logan was the most well thought of player on LSU by their coaches. That seems to be important to our new staff.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 12:23 PM) *

and he still has not been drafted
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 27 2013, 12:26 PM) *
and he still has not been drafted

Maybe there is a hidden issue we haven't heard about. Its way too late for him to be still available.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 12:30 PM) *
Maybe there is a hidden issue we haven't heard about. Its way too late for him to be still available.

did you miss that part of my post?.....lol....that is what I said....there must be something
nephillymike
He got picked the pick AFTER we took a nobody just to piss me off!!!

I can see a beer bet coming on between us for who has a better career, the SS Wolf we took or Williams who got picked after us!!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 27 2013, 01:07 PM) *
did you miss that part of my post?.....lol....that is what I said....there must be something

I saw it but was saying that 35 picks later, maybe you were onto something.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 27 2013, 01:10 PM) *
He got picked the pick AFTER we took a nobody just to piss me off!!!

I can see a beer bet coming on between us for who has a better career, the SS Wolf we took or Williams who got picked after us!!

wait til the Phils blow another lead today....for what it is worth Wolf's only real knock and low rating reason is that he is not tall....
mcnabbulous
The Wolff pick is getting rave reviews on Twitter, fwiw.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 27 2013, 01:13 PM) *
The Wolff pick is getting rave reviews on Twitter, fwiw.

I assume position driven. Peeps happy to see a defensive position of need drafted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.