Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here's the questions Eagles need to answer
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
1. Are they sure they need a new starting QB by the 2014 season?

2. If yes, then does Geno fit what they are looking for?

If Yes to #'1 1 and 2, then pick Geno with the 35th pick.
If yes to #1 and no to #2, then they need to answer this:

3. Is there anyone there at #35 who they feel would do the job for us, If so draft him.

4. If no, then are you willing to likely trade our 1st round pick next year and one the following year, with maybe getting a future 2nd in return in order to move up which may be from about #16 to #6 next year to draft one of those perceived to be better QB picks in next year's draft?

For me, I am not sold that Vick or Foles can't do the job and waiting to find the answer for that is the smart thing to do. I pass on the QB this year and if next year we need to pay picks to move up, so be it. It could be that either Foles or Vick does a good job and we won't have to do that.

However, if you are sure that Vick and Foles can't do it, I pick Geno or another QB you like here and trade V or F for a pick (maybe a third).

Nothing against Geno, but I don't know for sure if I need a QB, so I pass onone this year.

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 26 2013, 10:27 AM) *
1. Are they sure they need a new starting QB by the 2014 season?

2. If yes, then does Geno fit what they are looking for?

If Yes to #'1 1 and 2, then pick Geno with the 35th pick.
If yes to #1 and no to #2, then they need to answer this:

3. Is there anyone there at #35 who they feel would do the job for us, If so draft him.

4. If no, then are you willing to likely trade our 1st round pick next year and one the following year, with maybe getting a future 2nd in return in order to move up which may be from about #16 to #6 next year to draft one of those perceived to be better QB picks in next year's draft?

For me, I am not sold that Vick or Foles can't do the job and waiting to find the answer for that is the smart thing to do. I pass on the QB this year and if next year we need to pay picks to move up, so be it. It could be that either Foles or Vick does a good job and we won't have to do that.

However, if you are sure that Vick and Foles can't do it, I pick Geno or another QB you like here and trade V or F for a pick (maybe a third).

Nothing against Geno, but I don't know for sure if I need a QB, so I pass onone this year.

Didn't I read that Smith had a Twitter whine about being disrespected by the "experts?" Someone just posted that he took his ball and went home because he wasn't drafted in the first round. Does this really sound like someone you want leading your offense?

This is a question, not a statement.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 26 2013, 09:58 AM) *
Didn't I read that Smith had a Twitter whine about being disrespected by the "experts?" Someone just posted that he took his ball and went home because he wasn't drafted in the first round. Does this really sound like someone you want leading your offense?

Last night, Aaron Rodgers personally reached out to support Geno, as he had experienced the same thing. He too felt "disrespected" and has played with a Chip on his shoulder since.

Geno is now staying tonight. I've heard that he had to change his flight/accomodations to make it work. Whether that is true is beyond me. The guy was embarrassed on national tv for 4 straight hours. I get why his head was spinning.

I can't fathom how we'll find better value at the QB position next year than Geno offers in the second.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 26 2013, 02:27 PM) *

I agree with this.
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 26 2013, 02:27 PM) *

I wouldn't pick a bad QB just because I don't have a good one.

D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2013, 03:02 PM) *
Last night, Aaron Rodgers personally reached out to support Geno,

Isn't that sweet?

wub.gif

Geno is now staying tonight. I've heard that he had to change his flight/accomodations to make it work. Whether that is true is beyond me. The guy was embarrassed on national tv for 4 straight hours. I get why his head was spinning.

The poor poor guy. He had to change his flight reservations? ohmy.gif

Sayitaintso!

rolleyes.gif

You too see this guy through your filter of preconceived notions.

To me, he's just confirmed he's a head case.

I can't fathom how we'll find better value at the QB position next year than Geno offers in the second.

I can't fathom what the hell makes you think this guy is going to be anything more than career clipboard toter.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 26 2013, 11:34 AM) *
I can't fathom what the hell makes you think this guy is going to be anything more than career clipboard toter.

We shall see. I've been correct about Eagles draft picks over the past decade way more than I've been wrong.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2013, 04:39 PM) *
We shall see. I've been correct about Eagles draft picks over the past decade way more than I've been wrong.

Congratulations.

But being sober more often than one is drunk doesn't excuse a drunken fool.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 26 2013, 11:42 AM) *
Congratulations.

But being sober more often than one is drunk doesn't excuse a drunken fool.

Criticize Geno all you want, but keep my alcoholism out of this.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 26 2013, 10:58 AM) *

Geno is getting a first class lesson in patience ... something an NFL QB needs to have.
nephillymike
I heard it put this way.

The guy literally just lost $15Million over the next four years.

Real money.

Cut him some slack.

As far as Rogers and Quinn go, they did get picked in the first round eventually and the nice pay day that went with it. Not so with Smith.

I'll cut him some slack since he changed his mind.
mcnabbulous
Hadn't even thought of the financial ramifications...
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 26 2013, 01:40 PM) *
The guy literally just lost $15Million over the next four years.

Real money.

Cut him some slack.

He's a 22-year old English major.

His classmates are going to be fighting for the few jobs that are available out there, to the tune of $35-40k a year, mostly while living with their parents. 10 years out of school, your average English major can expect a $50-70k annual salary, depending on the job you get.

He's going to be a multi-millionaire within months, have a nice big house, a Ferrari, and will spend most of his 20s partying, with almost half the year off.

He gets no slack. And he can take his whiny pouting to another franchise.

D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 26 2013, 06:04 PM) *

His classmates are going to be fighting for the few jobs that are available out there, to the tune of $35-40k a year, mostly while living with their parents. 10 years out of school, your average English major can expect a $50-70k annual salary, depending on the job you get.

He's going to be a multi-millionaire within months, have a nice big house, a Ferrari, and will spend most of his 20s partying, with almost half the year off.

jumpclap.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 26 2013, 01:04 PM) *

He's gonna make lots of money, so I don't care about $10M - said no one ever.
HobbEs
He's gonna make lots of money, so I don't care about $10M - said no one ever.

I don't remember Drew Brees crying about being picked in the second round. So he lost $10 million? Maybe he didn't deserve it!!!! The more I read about the guy the more I want him elsewhere.

Can we all pray to the draft gods that Jacksonville takes him?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 26 2013, 02:27 PM) *
I don't remember Drew Brees crying about being picked in the second round. So he lost $10 million? Maybe he didn't deserve it!!!! The more I read about the guy the more I want him elsewhere.

Was Drew Brees ever considered to be a high first round selection? Did he attend the draft?
D Rock
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 26 2013, 07:27 PM) *

I'm prayin on that like a marthafocker.
Eyrie
To answer the original question, I think we saw enough from Foles last year that he deserves the chance to show what he can do under Kelly, and if he flops then we have to pay the price for a proven veteran or a top ten pick next year.

I could live with Smith at #35 since he offers reasonable value there, but we'd need to shift Vick in that case and he won't bring much in return.

I'd take Cyprien instead though.
HobbEs
I'd take Cyprien. John Jenkins fills a need. Hell, I'd even take Te'o because he we still need help at LB and he can play inside or out. We still have holes to fill. QB is a luxury pick.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 26 2013, 02:52 PM) *
I'd take Cyprien. John Jenkins fills a need. Hell, I'd even take Te'o because he we still need help at LB and he can play inside or out. We still have holes to fill. QB is a luxury pick.

Unless you have a QB, it's never a luxury pick. We most definitely don't have a proven QB.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 26 2013, 03:37 PM) *
I could live with Smith at #35 since he offers reasonable value there, but we'd need to shift Vick in that case and he won't bring much in return.

I'd like to see a defensive pick. I think Kelly wants to implement his system here for a year, and if none of our QBs works out, he'll take his chances on one of next year's picks. We're good at RB, WR, and (arguably) TE. If our line stays healthy, we should be good there too. So it's just a question of whether or not he wants to gamble on Smith.
HobbEs
Last I checked we have 4 QBs. Vick is a proven commodity and if we're going young then I'd rather do it with Foles.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2013, 03:31 PM) *
Was Drew Brees ever considered to be a high first round selection? Did he attend the draft?

He was supposed to be a mid-late 1st rounder, but because of his height he was drafted later. The experts got that one right wacko.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 26 2013, 03:00 PM) *
Last I checked we have 4 QBs.

Not one of which is proven

Vick is a proven commodity

Proven what? Loser? Fumbler? Proven incapable of reading defense? Injury plagued?

and if we're going young then I'd rather do it with Foles.

And Foles deserves some healthy competition.
HobbEs
Geno Smith threw 21 interceptions and had 32 fumbles over his career at WVU. Seriously? He's a turnover machine...and yet you complain about Vick.

In comparison Matt Scott threw 19 interceptions and had only 4 fumbles. If you want healthy competiton for Foles then Scott should be the guy.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 26 2013, 03:15 PM) *
Geno Smith threw 21 interceptions and had 32 fumbles over his career at WVU. Seriously? He's a turnover machine...and yet you complain about Vick.

In comparison Matt Scott threw 19 interceptions and had only 4 fumbles. If you want healthy competiton for Foles then Scott should be the guy.

21 Interceptions in a 4 year starting career. You think 5 INT's a year is concerning? Yes, his fumbles are concerning, but coaching can help mitigate that. He's done everything in his career without NFL caliber coaching. He has tons plenty of upside.

Hahahha - Matt Scott. The guy started one year as he's already proven incapable of beating out Foles. Geno threw 789 more passes in his career (well over double Scott's number) and threw 2 more picks.

*Vick through over 1100 fewer passes than Geno and 10 fewer picks.
HobbEs
The fumbles are the killer and it's only going to get worse at the pro level because teams will focus on that. The knock on him is he's got small hands. You can't fix that by coaching.

The other thing (as D Rock will point out) is that Smith rarely throws down field. I wonder how many of those INTs came with passes beyond 5 yards?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 26 2013, 03:29 PM) *
The fumbles are the killer and it's only going to get worse at the pro level because teams will focus on that. The knock on him is he's got small hands. You can't fix that by coaching.

The other thing (as D Rock will point out) is that Smith rarely throws down field. I wonder how many of those INTs came with passes beyond 5 yards?

Matt Scott's hands are smaller. And Scott ran a similar offense. As did RG3. You still have to be able to read a defense to not get exploited.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...0412/matt-scott

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...4302/geno-smith
mcnabbulous
HobbEs - I will grant you this. If the Eagles don't draft Geno, I think hand size will be the primary reason, as Chip is very into those types of measurables.

On a very unrelated and personal side note, are you familiar with this organization:
http://www.beaglefreedomproject.org/

As a fellow beagle lover, I thought I'd pass it along.
D Rock
Perhaps nobody took him because he's just not very good...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 26 2013, 04:53 PM) *
Perhaps nobody took him because he's just not very good...

And perhaps that's why 23 teams passed on Rodgers, or 32 on Brees, etc...

Thanks for adding something new to the conversation, though.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2013, 09:57 PM) *
And perhaps that's why 23 teams passed on Rodgers, or 32 on Brees, etc...

Thanks for adding something new to the conversation, though.

Sorry Bud, but you play the part of broken record around here for the better part of 2 months and expect beautiful music back in return?

You're getting a bit emotional about the geno kid. I can't figure out why. Why all the love for a future clipboard jockey?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 26 2013, 05:13 PM) *
Sorry Bud, but you play the part of broken record around here for the better part of 2 months and expect beautiful music back in return?

You're getting a bit emotional about the geno kid. I can't figure out why. Why all the love for a future clipboard jockey?

Because most everyone is wrong about him. And I'm fine with that. I've been right when going against the grain before...and I anticipate being right again.

I'm just not looking forward to being right about this when Geno is thriving for another organization. That has happened far too often to my Eagles.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2013, 11:16 PM) *
Because most everyone is wrong about him. And I'm fine with that. I've been right when going against the grain before...and I anticipate being right again.

I'm just not looking forward to being right about this when Geno is thriving for another organization. That has happened far too often to my Eagles.

Given that Smith wound up with the Jets, there's a very good chance that you won't be right (but will have a decent excuse about him being in a dysfunctional environment).
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 27 2013, 04:55 AM) *
Given that Smith wound up with the Jets, there's a very good chance that you won't be right (but will have a decent excuse about him being in a dysfunctional environment).

Well, he will get to work with Marty, so think he'll be given a chance to develop. That team is certainly void of talent ok offense though. I fully expect him to be better than Sanchez, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.