Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If the Eagles take Lane Johnson...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
mcnabbulous
I'm going to be pissed.

Talk about a fucking project.
nephillymike
Hang on!

They just said on 97.5 that Kelly wants him over BOTh of the other tackles.

I agree with you. Need experience at the position when I'm picking #4
GQSmooth
That's not a problem, Kelly developed Long quickly with a limited amount of time. Stoutland has developed plenty of o-lineman. I am not concerned about guys developing on the o-line. I'm more worried about Kelly developing an NFL caliber QB.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Apr 25 2013, 09:26 AM) *
That's not a problem, Kelly developed Long quickly with a limited amount of time. Stoutland has developed plenty of o-lineman. I am not concerned about guys developing on the o-line. I'm more worried about Kelly developing an NFL caliber QB.

I'm not worried about the ability to develop. If you're taking someone that high, they better have that capacity. My problem is taking a project like Lane Johnson while saying that Geno Smith (at a significantly more valuable position) is a risk.
EaglesFan0724
I would love to add Lane Johnson! The dude is a stud and will be a hell of an OT for years to come.
GQSmooth
QUOTE (EaglesFan0724 @ Apr 25 2013, 10:45 AM) *
I would love to add Lane Johnson! The dude is a stud and will be a hell of an OT for years to come.

I have no problem with any of the 3 OTs, I think Fisher and Johnson are best suited for this team. I'll take Jordan at 4 as well. Only other option is trade down for Star, Tavon or Geno. Would not mind trading up with the second pic to grab EJ. But the QBs need further development. I'm not impressed with the other QBs in this draft and admit that I have not watched film on Rodgers.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2013, 02:56 PM) *
I'm going to be pissed.

And Geno's not a project?
Dreagon
Well, he just fell to you guys. Let's see what happens. There may be teams interested in trading for hiim.
iggleslover49
I REALLY wanted Jordan badly mad.gif
iggleslover49
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2013, 09:56 AM) *
I'm going to be pissed.

I guess ur pretty mad then... Me too to be honest
mcnabbulous
Booooooooooooooooo
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2013, 05:17 PM) *
And Geno's not a project?

Check my other post. They may both be projects, but one offers real value.
TGryn
We got our QB of the future, baby! biggrin.gif
An all-district quarterback in high school, Johnson spent his first year in college as a backup signal caller at Kilgore College.

...wait, he's playing what now?...
crud. ohmy.gif
TGryn
Zero
Not a glamorous pick, but I'm cool with it. There's uncertainty with the OL coming off all those injuries and Watkins. This adds a piece to the puzzle that should be viable for 10 - 12 years.

It is what it is, and this draft seems to have OL strength at the top. Project? He has time to work into the lineup and if we're to believe the Eagles, BPA. Stick to that philosophy and everything should be cool in a couple of years if not sooner.
Dreagon
It was really a sensible pick. Especially if Foles doesn't work out and you guys end up drafting a QB next year. At least you will be more solid at tackle, which is one less thing for a new guy to worry about.
Pbfan
Listen, we need OL NOW. He was the best OL even before Peters got injured.

I don't buy into that pick the best player irregardless of position shit. No one believes that. If the best player were a RB, no one in the eagles organization would dare pick them.

I think our D has talent and with a coherent defensive strategy. This was the best pick.
iggleslover49
Now that we got him what do we do with him? Right tackle with Herremans to guard? Cause it makes no sense to draft that early and him sit on the bench
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Apr 25 2013, 08:09 PM) *
Now that we got him what do we do with him? Right tackle with Herremans to guard? Cause it makes no sense to draft that early and him sit on the bench

Not does it make sense to take a RT with the #4 pick.
D Rock
meanwhile, Geno keeps sliding to where he belongs.

I LOVE the Lane Johnson pick and called over it a week ago!!!!

I'm a phuquing genius.

tongue.gif
iggleslover49
Looking like geno is an option in the second with every pick that goes by him. In the second, das great value.
Pbfan
Man I am so fucking sick of all this geno talk. Forget Geno. He's not for us. We don't want him. I am so fucking sick oh hearing his name.
D Rock
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Apr 26 2013, 01:45 AM) *
Man I am so fucking sick of all this geno talk. Forget Geno. He's not for us. We don't want him. I am so fucking sick oh hearing his name.

cheers.gif jumpclap.gif jumpclap.gif cheers.gif
nephillymike
What amzes me about this draft in particular, is that experience of performance at a high level seems to mean very little.

Jordan, Anzah, Johnson, Richardson, and on and on. all about potential, not about performance.

Sometimes potential is just another word for what you haven't done yet.

Good ole Raidahs. Reaching for a guy they could have had ten picks later, if not the next round.

The dude is lucky to be alive, and that's great. Wait till he takes a helet to the sternum. Too risky, but that's the Raidahs.
D Rock
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Apr 26 2013, 01:43 AM) *
Looking like geno is an option in the second with every pick that goes by him. In the second, das great value.

Great value? By taking him where he belongs? Nope. Great value is getting a guy a round AFTER he's supposed to go. GS going 28-40 is just about right. "Value" would be getting him 50-65.
iggleslover49
I'd rather take geno than Manuel all day though. We must find a QB now. Unless Kelly is sold on Vick, Foles, or Dixon. I'm not gonna lie, at the end of the day I wanna wait til next season and hope and pray Braxton Miller comes out and we can get our hands on him. But we may not be in position for him.
D Rock
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Apr 26 2013, 01:56 AM) *
I'd rather take geno than Manuel all day though. We must find a QB now. Unless Kelly is sold on Vick, Foles, or Dixon. I'm not gonna lie, at the end of the day I wanna wait til next season and hope and pray Braxton Miller comes out and we can get our hands on him. But we may not be in position for him.

Wake up, man. You don't take a bad dog just because you want/need a new dog.

We're not getting our QB this year. We may take a mid/late round project, but there are no "great" QBs in this draft.

If we're sold on any of the "top dogs in a bad liter" it's Manuel. Geno is fools gold defined. That's why he's sliding.
mcnabbulous
Well the Bills took EJ. So I guess that means he is awful. Bad franchises make bad moves.
D Rock
Slide slide slippity slide . . .
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2013, 02:06 AM) *
Well the Bills took EJ. So I guess that means he is awful. Bad franchises make bad moves.

By far the best QB in this pack.

There is justice in the world that Tavon went before Smith. Tavon MADE Smith.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2013, 10:03 PM) *
Wake up, man. You don't take a bad dog just because you want/need a new dog.

We're not getting our QB this year. We may take a mid/late round project, but there are no "great" QBs in this draft.

If we're sold on any of the "top dogs in a bad liter" it's Manuel. Geno is fools gold defined. That's why he's sliding.

Lol your bananas if you think we WERE sold on Manuel.(just got picked) He's WAAAYYY more inconsistent than Geno. I'm curious to see how he ends up.
D Rock
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Apr 26 2013, 02:08 AM) *
Lol your bananas if you think we WERE sold on Manuel.(just got picked) He's WAAAYYY more inconsistent than Geno. I'm curious to see how he ends up.

More inconsistent that Geno? Hardly.

Let's even assume you're right and he's more inconsistent than Smith. He also has MUCH MORE upside than Smith.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2013, 10:20 PM) *
More inconsistent that Geno? Hardly.

Let's even assume you're right and he's more inconsistent than Smith. He also has MUCH MORE upside than Smith.

All those irratic throws are going to be picks in the pros
D Rock
Same goes for Smith.

(last time I'll say it)

70% of smith's passes were within 5 yards of the LOS. SEVENTY PERCENT. 40% were BEHIND the LOS.

You wanna credit a QB for a WR bubble screen going for a 70 yard TD, be my guest.

I aint buyin that fools gold.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2013, 10:25 PM) *
Same goes for Smith.

(last time I'll say it)

70% of smith's passes were within 5 yards of the LOS. SEVENTY PERCENT. 40% were BEHIND the LOS.

You wanna credit a QB for a WR bubble screen going for a 70 yard TD, be my guest.

Ill take short passes over ints all day, everyday. Atleast he excuted the plays. And the plays put up points. He can't help the offense he's in.
mcnabbulous
Watch out, D. Geno's slide is about to make him your QB of the future.
D Rock
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

tongue.gif

I'll happily take a chance on him in round 2-4.

I just didn't want him at #4.

Not under ANY circumstances.

I even said I'd be ok with taking him if we traded down out of the top 20.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2013, 09:33 PM) *
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

tongue.gif

I'll happily take a chance on him in round 2-4.

I just didn't want him at #4.

Not under ANY circumstances.

I even said I'd be ok with taking him if we traded down out of the top 20.

I'd much rather have Mingo than Johnson. Taking a project OL at #4 is mind boggingly dumb.
I'll concede that Geno's availability in the 20's indicates it was wise not drafting him there. Doesn't change my opinion that he deserved to go there. I'm praying for a trade up at his point.
D Rock
Man, you're nutz.

The guy will start on our O line. That's not exactly how you define "project."

A "project" sits and learns or plays spot duty at best.

A "project" doesn't start his first game as a rookie.

Lane Johnson will start his first game as a rookie. (barring injury of course)
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2013, 09:44 PM) *
Man, you're nutz.

The guy will start on our O line. That's not exactly how you define "project."

A "project" sits and learns or plays spot duty at best.

A "project" doesn't start his first game as a rookie.

Lane Johnson will start his first game as a rookie. (barring injury of course)

Danny Watkins on line 1
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2013, 02:45 AM) *
Danny Watkins on line 1

I don't understand what you're saying here.

Are you suggesting Watkins starts at RG, leaving Big Todd at RT?

I'd be shocked.

Our O line (barring injury) is now Peters, Mathis, Kelce, Todd, Lane.

That line might even make Vick look like he can actually play.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2013, 09:48 PM) *
I don't understand what you're saying here.

Are you suggesting Watkins starts at RG, leaving Big Todd at RT?

I'd be shocked.

Our O line (barring injury) is now Peters, Mathis, Kelce, Todd, Lane.

That line might even make Vick look like he can actually play.

No, I'm saying Danny was penciled in to start on day 1. You and I both know Vick will find 2 to 3 blind spots we didn't know existed.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2013, 10:45 PM) *
Danny Watkins on line 1

Sorry man, there's no way Watkins is starting now. Das the Todd father's job now.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2013, 02:50 AM) *
No, I'm saying Danny was penciled in to start on day 1. You and I both know Vick will find 2 to 3 blind spots we didn't know existed.

No doubt Danny was a whiff.

The difference is that while Lane didn't play tackle until the last 2 years, he was an all state quarterback in HS and played TE his first year in the NCAAs. In short, he's a football player.

Danny never played FOOTBALL.

It's a big difference to being new to a position vs. being new to the game.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2013, 09:53 PM) *
No doubt Danny was a whiff.

The difference is that while Lane didn't play tackle until the last 2 years, he was an all state quarterback in HS and played TE his first year in the NCAAs. In short, he's a football player.

Danny never played FOOTBALL.

It's a big difference to being new to a position vs. being new to the game.

I'm less enthusiastic about the transition. I don't think he will bust out like Danny (which I expected) but I don't see the value in a project RT at #4. It's that simple.
D Rock
The guy ran a 4.7 40 at 6'5" 303.

You're gonna love him. I'm sure of it.

ETA: Jason Peters played TE in college. Didn't transition to tackle UNTIL the NFL. Lane has a head start.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2013, 10:02 PM) *
The guy ran a 4.7 40 at 6'5" 303.

You're gonna love him. I'm sure of it.

ETA: Jason Peters played TE in college. Didn't transition to tackle UNTIL the NFL. Lane has a head start.

He was an UDFA that we acquired with a late first rounder. Very appropriate.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2013, 03:11 AM) *
He was an UDFA that we acquired with a late first rounder. Very appropriate.

Oh please. If the league knew then what kind of player Peters is he'd be first overall. We fleeced the Bills who were in desperate cap woes.

Lane's measurables were record setting. His production on field proves it's not mamula-esque work out warrior either.

He's absolutely perfect for what we're being told chip wants to do.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2013, 10:19 PM) *
Oh please. If the league knew then what kind of player Peters is he'd be first overall. We fleeced the Bills who were in desperate cap woes.

Lane's measurables were record setting. His production on field proves it's not mamula-esque work out warrior either.

He's absolutely perfect for what we're being told chip wants to do.

The league didn't know by the time we acquired him?
mcnabbulous
At minimum, I'm glad this is the thread welcoming Lane to town. So Philly of me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.