Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geno Smith or Nick Foles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
As Arte Johnson would say: "very interesting!"
Peter King was on Sports Illustrated Draft Live this afternoon and made a striking comment. King, who is known for his league insight, announced that "Chip Kelly likes Geno Smith...but he really likes Nick Foles."
Here ...

mcnabbulous
I typically love draft season, but my god I'm ready for this one to be over.
Dreagon
I'm just wondering if they take Smith if it won't be a Donovan McNabb reaction from the crowd all over again.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 23 2013, 09:43 PM) *
I typically love draft season, but my god I'm ready for this one to be over.

Sadly, the draft is the last bit of excitement this city sports scene will experience until preseason games. (unless you call failing to score a guy from 3rd w/ no outs exciting)

I'm all fired up!!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 24 2013, 12:28 AM) *
I'm just wondering if they take Smith if it won't be a Donovan McNabb reaction from the crowd all over again.

Pet peeve of mine. I was watching the NFL Network's Top Ten Draft moments. For some reason, you hear very little of the Jets abuse of Kyle Brady (and many other picks) nor the abuse of the "Eli Sucks" chants hurled at him on draft day, but we always hear about the booing of Mcnabb. On a loud scale, the McNabb boos ranked third. You throw a few snowballs at a stumble bum drunk skinny Santa at a loss at Franklin Field and the world never forgives you!!
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 24 2013, 12:29 PM) *
Pet peeve of mine. I was watching the NFL Network's Top Ten Draft moments. For some reason, you hear very little of the Jets abuse of Kyle Brady (and many other picks) nor the abuse of the "Eli Sucks" chants hurled at him on draft day, but we always hear about the booing of Mcnabb. On a loud scale, the McNabb boos ranked third. You throw a few snowballs at a stumble bum drunk skinny Santa at a loss at Franklin Field and the world never forgives you!!

Well, I dont' think it was all Philly's fault that stuck with you guys. McNabb kind of does this weird "I'm a nice guy, if a bit of a martyr" routine that kind of kept it out there.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 24 2013, 06:28 AM) *

That will be the reaction from this side of the pond if I find we've taken him.

There is too much NFL-ready talent at other positions of need to gamble on Smith.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 24 2013, 03:46 PM) *
That will be the reaction from this side of the pond if I find we've taken him.

There is too much NFL-ready talent at other positions of need to gamble on Smith.

You could have said the exact same thing about Donovan.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 24 2013, 04:03 PM) *

McN,

You keep on saying this. This wasn't true in the eyes of the talent evaluators. McNabb was very highly rated that year, and he was drafted in the range where they had him rated. Smith is rated in the mid to high teens, and by the ratings they use in evaluating prospects, he's not rated as highly.

Smith may do well, and I hope he does, but he is not rated that highly, relative to where McNabb was.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 24 2013, 06:09 PM) *
McN,

You keep on saying this. This wasn't true in the eyes of the talent evaluators. McNabb was very highly rated that year, and he was drafted in the range where they had him rated. Smith is rated in the mid to high teens, and by the ratings they use in evaluating prospects, he's not rated as highly.

Smith may do well, and I hope he does, but he is not rated that highly, relative to where McNabb was.

Yet no one can answer why. No one will dispute that Smith is a more polished passer. McNabb's college offense was no less pro style than Geno's. He's no less a prospect than Donovan. If he gets the same coaching, he'll be a success.

As I've said time and time again, the talent evaluators are full of shit. He'll be drafted where the guys who work for NFL teams evaluate him and he's going to be a successful NFL QB. He may not turn into Luck or RG3 but he will be successful. Those guys are the exception to the rule, not the norm.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 24 2013, 06:24 PM) *
Yet no one can answer why. No one will dispute that Smith is a more polished passer. McNabb's college offense was no less pro style than Geno's. He's no less a prospect than Donovan. If he gets the same coaching, he'll be a success.

As I've said time and time again, the talent evaluators are full of shit. He'll be drafted where the guys who work for NFL teams evaluate him and he's going to be a successful NFL QB. He may not turn into Luck or RG3 but he will be successful. Those guys are the exception to the rule, not the norm.

Gun to your head, who picks him and where in the draft?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 24 2013, 06:27 PM) *
Gun to your head, who picks him and where in the draft?

I don't think he gets past Cleveland at 6. I hope not past us.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 24 2013, 06:48 PM) *
I don't think he gets past Cleveland at 6. I hope not past us.

I heard CLE name tonight in his possibles. My guess is BUF at 8, or late 1st round with someone trading back in to get him (Jax, Buf, Phi, Cle)
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 24 2013, 10:03 PM) *

Other than the minor detail that I wanted McNabb out of that QB class and felt certain that he would be a star player, you're spot on.

I just don't have the same feeling of certainty about Smith. I'm not writing him off, but I'd rather use the #4 pick on a Jordan or Joekel that I do have a McNabb-esque certainty about. If we were drafting at #15 or #20 then Smith would interest me as better risk/reward value.

I could be wrong though - first time for everything biggrin.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 25 2013, 12:54 PM) *
Other than the minor detail that I wanted McNabb out of that QB class and felt certain that he would be a star player, you're spot on.

I just don't have the same feeling of certainty about Smith. I'm not writing him off, but I'd rather use the #4 pick on a Jordan or Joekel that I do have a McNabb-esque certainty about. If we were drafting at #15 or #20 then Smith would interest me as better risk/reward value.

Well, it sounds like one of us is going to be wrong for the first time smile.gif

In all seriousness, I'm more confident in Smith than I was in McNabb. And I thought McNabb was the right pick in '99.
GQSmooth
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 25 2013, 01:54 PM) *

G Smith is no where near as a surefire pick as McNabb. One could look at McNabb and see he was the best QB in the draft and better than what the team had. You can't say Smith is better than what the team has now at QB.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Apr 25 2013, 03:22 PM) *
G Smith is no where near as a surefire pick as McNabb. One could look at McNabb and see he was the best QB in the draft and better than what the team had. You can't say Smith is better than what the team has now at QB.

Donovan was an erratic passer who played in a highly unconventional offense. He was hardly a surefire anything. Donnie was more athlete than QB.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 24 2013, 06:29 PM) *

Part of that is that McNabb himself is still crying about it.

D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2013, 09:30 PM) *
Donovan was an erratic passer who played in a highly unconventional offense. He was hardly a surefire anything. Donnie was more athlete than QB.

McNabb was a consensus top 5 pick.

Geno is a consensus "borderline 1st rounder." He's arguably not even the best QB in the "bad crop" of QBs.

Not even in the same league as the human injustice collector.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.