Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying it?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Hey, it's a new coach ... the King is dead, long live the King! Right? I really wouldn't expect to hear that the players aren't buying in but I'm really hoping that Kelly has the kind of charisma and leadership that WILL excite the players and that it carries over and breeds success. For that answer, we'll probably need to wait until ... say, November or December?

I realize this is just Dave, but this really is the foundation for what will be coming with this team with this coach. X's and O's are great, but whether the players believe in the coach and the system is ultimately the most important thing. Is it real or is it Memorex?
THE PLAYERS HAVE BOUGHT IN

Kellyís impact at Oregon was an important one for all of football, and not just because of the fancy uniforms the Ducks wore from one week to the next. Kellyís innovative mind and up-tempo style of play resonated throughout the game both at the college level and in the NFL, which has never been shy to borrow successful concepts.

It is absolutely clear that the players who have been at the NovaCare Complex for the first week have totally bought into whatever Kelly is selling in terms of training, preparation and game operations. The latter has been addressed only minimally, but the level of excitement among the players has been inspiring. Those who were here last year want to move forward and never again experience a season like 2012, and so they have attacked the offseason program with great vigor.

Itís fun around the NovaCare Complex. Itís football again after a long period away. The players are upbeat and confident and the new coaching staff is eager to teach. A lot of work remains, but the players are most definitely all in to get the Eagles back into the playoff picture in the NFC.
Here ...
nephillymike
It will be interesting to see the tone near the end of training camp with all the revision to weight goals and practice tempo etc. When a player can't meet his ideal weight goal, or they are practicing more often or harder than they used to, that would be a more accurate time to measure enthusiasm.

So far so good.
Dreagon
A lot of time with new coaches you have that transition year, where some of the old players buy in and others don't, and he has to weed through them. Sometimes it's not truly his team till the end of the second year or beginning of the third.
Phits
This happens a lot when a team is absent vocal leaders. Especially when the new regime has performed a house cleaning.
HOUSEoPAIN
It has to be refreshing for everyone, you would think the veterans especially, knowing they aren't going to have to go through the same old crap again. Whether or not Kelly's approach translates into success remains to be seen, but his offensive gameplan should be exciting, and hopefully after the draft we'll have a halfway decent looking defensive lineup with a new system.
make_it_rain
I'm not 100% sure if I'm "buying into it" so to speak, but its something new, and I'm genuinely excited to see what happens, whether it works out or fails miserably. I can't say I've been this excited to see what happens come September in a long long time.

Zero
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Apr 9 2013, 12:23 PM) *
I can't say I've been this excited to see what happens come September in a long long time.

For now, that's the bottom line, isn't it? I can't wait until TC ... I wonder how much hitting the Chip will have in TC.
mcnabbulous
Not sure if anyone saw this, but it was a great breakdown of the Andy Reid clearinghouse in 1999/2000 and just how we lacked veteran leadership when things collapsed in 2010/2011.

I think it's truly a testament to how awful we were in the draft in those years leading up to the collapse. But also gives nice perspective into how he came in and got rid of any veterans who may not have been on board.

http://mcnabborkolb.com/blog/2013/4/1/the-...e-andy-reid-era
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.