Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The curious case of Momah the Magnificent...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I thought this was kind of an interesting piece on the Eagles newest WR:
Most of you already know that the Eagles just executed what amounts to an extra draft pick by signing a free agent who was undrafted from 2011...

After spending the 2012 season out of football, 6-7 wide receiver Ifeanyi Momah worked out earlier this month with 11 of his former teammates and apparently did enough to impress the Eagles, who announced Saturday that they had signed the 235-pound Momah to a three-year contract.

Due to two (2) ACL tears, Momah only accumulated 39 catches in his college career to go with 629 yards and six touchdowns -- he also played some defensive end while at BC -- but the Eagles evidently have seen potential in him, making Momah the 13th receiver on their roster.

I don't want to get too excited about this prospect. "IF HE ANY GOOD" Momah can stick around as a PS8 project. But New Orleans was ready to make him an offer, too. That tells me sumlin. It also explains why Momah got a 3-year contract instead of the more traditional 2-year deal. I'm sure the guaranteed money is minimal, probably in the $45,000 range, as Momah will basically be paid to attend minicamps and training camp.

But what intrigues me about Momah (besides his character and willpower to persist through setback) is what his size and speed (4.42 in the '40) translates to on film. As a passing target he fills a different dimension.

Hard not to root for the guy...and the Eagles..when you see that kind of size and height differential in a receiver, especially in a league where most linebackers and defensive backs are on average 5-10 in height.

This is a case where Chip Kelly looked at him, Howie Roseman looked at him, and Momah's old defensive coach from BC Bill McGovern (now Eagles OLB coordinator) looked at him... If all three signed off on Momah and his bill of health, then who am I to doubt the chances of this kid?

I knew he was pretty tall (long?) but what caught my eye was 4.42 speed. That sounds pretty quick for a guy his size. Kelly doesn't seem to be associated with situational players, and that's kind of what this guy seems to me. 6'7", 4.42?
TGryn
I hope the kid does well, but an awesome size-speed combo isn't nearly enough in the NFL. As an example, in 2001 the Seahawks drafted a WR named Alex Bannister who was 6'5" 201 and ran a 4.35 40, and had some hype as "the next Randy Moss." Bannister had a total of 9 career receptions. So...like the DE we got from the Colts for Havili, he's got good measurables, but that just gets you in the door. From there, have to produce on the field. We'll see.
GQSmooth
I think this kid has a chance to be more than a camp body. Believe he was brought in to push Riley Cooper. Also believe Kelly will probably play 2 big WR and 2 H Backs in the red zone so defenses do not know what he is doing and struggle to counter.
chuckp
I like to see what he can do, it seems like to me at least when the Eagles sign someone you hear miss most of ____ season with a ACL tear lol, they love getting guys coming of ACL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.