Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you could re-write Eagles history
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
Okay, it's March 25th and it's snowing in Philadelphia. WTF!? Anyway, here's a question for a dreary morning:

If you could go back in time and right a wrong (pertaining to our Eagles) what would it be?

The first thing that comes to my mind is this. It's year 1 of the Jeff and Joe show. They just hired Ray Rhodes away from SF who assembled a pretty good staff (including Gruden). We signed Ricky Watters away from the 49ers and Irving Fryar had seemed to resurrect his career here. As I recall we had a pretty good defense too with William Fuller, William Thomas and a young Trotter and Dawkins. But then we have the Joe-Ball special...nogotiations were going on with Mark Brunell who was a backup QB from Green Bay at the time. Brunell wanted a 4 year deal and Banner didn't want to go any longer than 3. So away goes Brunnel to Jacksonville where he has a pro-bowl carreer...and we end up with Rodney Peete.

I believe that decision was the difference between a super bowl team and the mediocrity that we got instead. I would've certainly given Brunell the extra year.
nephillymike
That's a real good one that frankly, I had forgotten about.

There's a few in my head but I don't want to take up other people's choices.

I'd like the opportunity to change some things about that Tampa Bay game.

I think mine would have been to run the ball against Tampa after we had the lead early in that game. We ran it early and successfully and then we just got away from it. Same game, tell Blaine Bishop he was too hrut to play and put someone else in.
mcnabbulous
Reggie White.
GQSmooth
Jeff Fisher instead of Kotite.
HobbEs
Jeff Fisher instead of Kotite.

Funny but if Randall Cunningham evades Bryce Paup then Kotite is likely the first Eagles HC to win a super bowl.
HOUSEoPAIN
The 2003 NFL Draft, we took Jerome McDougle in the 1st (the next pick was Polamulu), then took LJ Smith in the 2nd (Jason Witten went 8 picks later). This of course was the height of the Reid era, and it's highly possible if not certain that if we had one of these two on our '03 or '04 team things would've turned out different.

That, and of course we can also change the results of the Super Bowl.
Eyrie
Has to be the outcome of the two SuperBowls, closely followed by Jim Johnson's health.
Zero
Out, damn Fog, OUT! Woulda been nice if the fog had never slipped into Soldier Field on bear's paws.
TGryn
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Mar 25 2013, 05:51 AM) *
But then we have the Joe-Ball special...nogotiations were going on with Mark Brunell who was a backup QB from Green Bay at the time. Brunell wanted a 4 year deal and Banner didn't want to go any longer than 3.

It was the other way around:
http://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2012/04/199...unell-from.html
A restricted free agent, the Packers had been in negotiations with the Philadelphia Eagles during the week prior to the draft. The Eagles offered a four-year, $3.8 million deal but the quarterbackís agent rejected it and Green Bay then swung the trade with the Jaguars, pending Brunellís acceptance of a three-year, $3.1 million pact that offered incentives, which came about quickly.

The book "Super Southpaw" says the original offer from the Eagles was 5 years, but also gave no guarantee that Brunell would become the starter (Randall was still with the team). That got lowered to 4 years, but by then Brunell wanted to go elsewhere where he wouldn't have to worry about playing time.
Dreagon
i would have definitely had you guys whip the Patriots in the Super Bowl.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.