Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Casey and Chipperdoodle
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Zero
Kelly says he's not a genius and I believe him. I think the thing may be that he's not locked into traditional thinking and seems anxious to be creative. This is probably why he hasn't defined his defense or even his offense yet. It's not that he's being coy, but he needs to see what the pieces to the puzzle are before he decides how to put it together.

It seems this is relevant for both of the guys he signed from the Texans. We all figure that Barwin is going to be some description of OLB in some description of a sort of 3-4 defense. He comes to town pretty highly regarded and should be a good addition. But there really hasn't seemed to be a bunch of discussion about Casey.

Casey was the first guy they signed. Hernandez or Gronkowski? Maybe even more creative because apparently this guy can block, catch and run, all pretty well. With "outside-the-box" thinking, a versatile player like Casey added to a talent like Shady, the speed of DJax, Maclin, Celek and (hopefully) a solid-to-excellent OL we could have an exciting time ahead for us.
I think the key thing to keep remembering about Kelly is that he probably doesn't yet have a defined sense of how his offense is going to look in Philadelphia and is trying to set himself up with as many options as possible. And that, I would suspect, is what attracted him to Casey. This is a guy who will fit anything Kelly ends up running on offense with the Eagles, and his versatility is the draw. If Kelly looked and saw a player who could be a fullback, tight end, wide receiver, slot receiver or all of the above, sometimes on the same offensive series, it's no surprise he decided to pounce. Heck, right now Kelly doesn't even know who his quarterback is going to be, let alone how he's going to line up the 10 guys around him. A swiss-army-knife guy like Casey is right up the alley of a coach who's got to figure all of this out on the fly. He'll help Kelly solve puzzles.
Here ...
nephillymike
Imagine that, a coach comfortable with thinking on the fly!!

If the above is true. it requires great flexibility on Chip's part. To mold your coaching around the talent you have, as opposed to getting the talent to mold around the style you coach, requires that the coaching staff be flexible and knowledgeable of many different styles. I used to try to do this in coaching basketball and it requires a lot more work. Unlike the NFL, there wasn't drafting or free agents, you had little control over the type and styles of players you got each year. The years where I had similar teams to the one before, you could run the same plays, practice the same skills etc. When the makeup changed and we went from a guard dominant team to a forward dominant team, you had to change most of the plays etc. and it took a lot more prep time.

Good for Chip and I believe it will be good for us. I think he will take the approach that you got with a player of strength against a player of weakness in game planning as opposed to our scheme being better than their scheme approach that I always thought Andy used. (IE, our WR's are good enough because of our scheme. Our scheme is good enough that we don't have to utilize our best offensive player as much -McCoy)
Zero
Our linebackers are good enough. laugh.gif
JaxEagle
Z, You had me going until the part about the solid to excellent O line. Might we still get 3 more stud OL prior to training camp? I wasn't expecting so.

I'm being a bit cynical as I think we can and should be better but I don't see us being too far above average this season at OL.
Zero
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Mar 23 2013, 11:39 AM) *
Z, You had me going until the part about the solid to excellent O line. Might we still get 3 more stud OL prior to training camp? I wasn't expecting so.

I'm being a bit cynical as I think we can and should be better but I don't see us being too far above average this season at OL.

My fingers are crossed that:
  1. Peters returns healthy and 90% of his old self
  2. Kelce returns healthy and takes the next step
  3. Herremans returns healthy and moves back to guard
  4. FA or draft yields them a stud RT
If these things happen they have a very good OL ... no?
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 23 2013, 01:06 PM) *
My fingers are crossed that:
  1. Peters returns healthy and 90% of his old self
  2. Kelce returns healthy and takes the next step
  3. Herremans returns healthy and moves back to guard
  4. FA or draft yields them a stud RT
If these things happen they have a very good OL ... no?

Maybe solid, hard to say about very good. However, that is 4 "ifs"

I'm with you on the optimism. It is possible but it is about as likely as all of the older Phillies staying injury free and having great seasons as they are capable. The Phils have the formula but its just that nothing can go contary to the plan. Same with the path to the Eagles OL improving by leaps and bounds.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 23 2013, 09:53 AM) *
Imagine that, a coach comfortable with thinking on the fly!!

more pissing on the grave........when Kelly has a level of success in the NFL that Reid had then you you can crow......but thanks for a blast of Philly fan to make my march madness sunday........I guess you equate luck and coincidence for that record......and then they wonder.......

Reality Fan
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Mar 23 2013, 11:12 PM) *
Maybe solid, hard to say about very good. However, that is 4 "ifs"

I'm with you on the optimism. It is possible but it is about as likely as all of the older Phillies staying injury free and having great seasons as they are capable. The Phils have the formula but its just that nothing can go contary to the plan. Same with the path to the Eagles OL improving by leaps and bounds.

I am curious how Kelce will fit in....he may be too small for Kelly.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Mar 23 2013, 11:39 AM) *

I think the O line will be pretty good. Peters should be at least good and I think Watkins will be much better in a traditional blocking scheme where he won't have to think so much but rely more on instinct. The Mudd situation was a mess for traditional linemen. Watkins can go back to being smashmouth.

Having peters back is a domino effect though. He makes Mathis better which helps the center which helps the RG which helps the RT.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2013, 01:17 PM) *
more pissing on the grave........when Kelly has a level of success in the NFL that Reid had then you you can crow......but thanks for a blast of Philly fan to make my march madness sunday........I guess you equate luck and coincidence for that record......and then they wonder.......

LOL laugh.gif @ Fantasy Fan

Hey, it's possible we have a coach who can think on the fly - so we're excited! Shit, I was in high school the last time we had that.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 24 2013, 12:32 PM) *
LOL laugh.gif @ Fantasy Fan

Hey, it's possible we have a coach who can think on the fly - so we're excited! Shit, I was in high school the last time we had that.

lol....Reid is gone and it was time but only an idiot would believe such stupidity for a coach who achieved as much as Reid did think that he could not think on the fly. Was it his strongest point? No.....but his greatest weakness was probably loyalty. Reid's demise was not his in game process, it was replacing great assistants with crappy assistants and then not firing them immediately when they proved to be incompetent.

I know guys like you love to catch on to simple ideas that you can actually grasp and run with them even if they are ridiculous on their face but hey, 14 years with a run of 9 of 11 years in the playoffs in the NFL...yep...he must have been an idiot....or maybe those suggesting that are.......well.....you know....
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2013, 01:43 PM) *
lol....Reid is gone and it was time but only an idiot would believe such stupidity for a coach who achieved as much as Reid did think that he could not think on the fly

laugh.gif @ Fantasy Fan

'I goofed.'
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2013, 12:17 PM) *

At what point, if any, did you think Andy should be fired? (ie last year, two years ago, not yet, never?)

Serious question. Then you can go back to watching the madness.

I got some Madness to catch also with my alma mater ANd Temple playing today.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2013, 12:51 PM) *
At what point, if any, did you think Andy should be fired? (ie last year, two years ago, not yet, never?)

Serious question. Then you can go back to watching the madness.

I got some Madness to catch also with my alma mater ANd Temple playing today.

he certainly needed to go after this past year...last year was questionable but I would not have been bothered by a change then. The common misconception here and it is a convenient one is that anyone here who merely points out that a coach like Reid with his track record does not get there over that period of time by luck or coincidence is a sycophant and to argue that a coach with his record has gotten there without being very good is silly. I just don't revise history here like some. I have had posts here where I documented how often they scored to end a half whether it was the first or 2nd and the Eagles actually led the league one year in that category if I am not mistaken and yet a few gaffes over 14 years and he is labeled as a poor clock manager. He is gone and it was the right move but how it ended does not change the success he had.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2013, 02:24 PM) *
a few gaffes over 14 years and he is labeled as a poor clock manager

Dude, the most dogmatic of Reid-apologists don't even dare try to do this. He has a long and real pattern of having absolutely no ability no manage the clock, adjust his gameplan, or have a 'plan B.' He came in, did a good job, and turned the franchise around. Great. Once JJ died, his postseason runs were over.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2013, 01:51 PM) *
At what point, if any, did you think Andy should be fired?

He should have been fired January 19, 2009. The day after the loss to the Cards in the NFCCG. He lost the team mid way through the season. His record over the next 2 seasons provided the smoke and mirrors necessary to justify (his) staying with the team. In hindsight, we were good enough to beat the crappy teams, but not good enough to beat the top tier. I think he would have gotten canned in 2010 if it weren't for the emergence of Vick and the excitement he brought that season.
HOUSEoPAIN
He should have been fired January 19, 2009. The day after the loss to the Cards in the NFCCG.

cheers.gif

In hindsight, we were good enough to beat the crappy teams, but not good enough to beat the top tier. I think he would have gotten canned in 2010 if it weren't for the emergence of Vick and the excitement he brought that season.

Perfectly stated. He has a losing record to date against teams over .500
Reality Fan
I am still trying to figure out which part of "he replaced good assistants with lousy ones and remained loyal to them" was misunderstood?

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2013, 01:24 PM) *
he certainly needed to go after this past year...last year was questionable but I would not have been bothered by a change then. The common misconception here and it is a convenient one is that anyone here who merely points out that a coach like Reid with his track record does not get there over that period of time by luck or coincidence is a sycophant and to argue that a coach with his record has gotten there without being very good is silly. I just don't revise history here like some. I have had posts here where I documented how often they scored to end a half whether it was the first or 2nd and the Eagles actually led the league one year in that category if I am not mistaken and yet a few gaffes over 14 years and he is labeled as a poor clock manager. He is gone and it was the right move but how it ended does not change the success he had.

Since the original response about "Philly Fan" was directed at me, I asked that question specifically.

So you say he should have gone after the 2012 season and maybe after 2012.

While I freely criticised him over the years, I, the Philly Fan, also did not think he should get fired until after this year. For his success, he deserved the benefit of the doubt that he got. He was dead man walking with about five games left this year and I didn't want him fired then. He deserved to finish it out.

So you, the loyal supporter of the HC, actually were OK with him being fired before me!!

He was the best HC of the Eagles I've seen in my 40+ years of fandom.

AND

He struggled thinking on the fly and against the better teams, when the ability of the teams lead to close games and in close games, thinking on the fly increases in importance.

Exhibit 1A:
Losing Super Bowl XXXIX, Feb. 6, 2005 - There were many examples of Reid's poor clock management during his 14 seasons, but the most egregious came in the biggest game of his career. Trailing the New England Patriots by 10 points with 5 minutes, 40 seconds left, quarterback Donovan McNabb and the Eagles' offense moved liked molasses starting from their own 21. As the Eagles puttered, New England coach Bill Belichick said, to no one in particular: "Is that scoreboard right? What are they doing?" The Eagles eventually scored a TD, but took 3:52 off the clock. And, after an onside kick failed, they didn't get the ball back until it was too late.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-12-31/spor...id-eagles-coach

And please don't be one of these guys on here wishing for Chip to fall flat on his face so that Andy looks good in comparison. Chip was not my first choice, I wanted Bradley, but we should all get behind him and wish for the best for all. I think he will do well. You said it was time for a change. If that is so, then lets hope is a change for the better.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2013, 05:10 PM) *
"Is that scoreboard right? What are they doing?"

I think I read in the Daily News the next day that there was a windfall in Philadelphia for TV repair and TV sales after the Super Bowl. biggrin.gif And that wasn't the first time.

Reid was a gem at game planning and devising plays but when he was confronted with a team of similar talent with a good coach I'll bet his record was poor. He was super at keeping his players even tempered and focused. He was meticulous in his planning and scheduling, his organizational skills were superb. He was a very good coach who wasn't able to move to the last level and win the Super Bowl. He should be inducted in the Eagles' ring of honor. I'm glad he's in KC now because his game day skills were not up to the rest of his talents.
Reality Fan
So you, the loyal supporter of the HC, actually were OK with him being fired before me!!

AND

He struggled thinking on the fly and against the better teams, when the ability of the teams lead to close games and in close games, thinking on the fly increases in importance.

Exhibit 1A:
Losing Super Bowl XXXIX, Feb. 6, 2005 - There were many examples of Reid's poor clock management during his 14 seasons, but the most egregious came in the biggest game of his career. Trailing the New England Patriots by 10 points with 5 minutes, 40 seconds left, quarterback Donovan McNabb and the Eagles' offense moved liked molasses starting from their own 21. As the Eagles puttered, New England coach Bill Belichick said, to no one in particular: "Is that scoreboard right? What are they doing?" The Eagles eventually scored a TD, but took 3:52 off the clock. And, after an onside kick failed, they didn't get the ball back until it was too late.

And please don't be one of these guys on here wishing for Chip to fall flat on his face so that Andy looks good in comparison. Chip was not my first choice, I wanted Bradley, but we should all get behind him and wish for the best for all. I think he will do well. You said it was time for a change. If that is so, then lets hope is a change for the better.

A couple of things......I said I would have understood his being fired after the 8-8 campaign, I did not say I hoped for it.

I will go through it again just for you but for every bad example of poor clock management I will match it with 3 where the Eagles score to end a half. I went through the game logs on NFL.com and I thought I posted it here but that was 2 or 3 years ago so I will do it again. I recall a certain comeback against the Giants in particular if I recall correctly. Was it last year or the year before where the Eagles led the league in scoring in the last 2 minutes? It was one or the other.

And as for hoping that Chip falls on his face, well that is just idiotic. I said here before regardless of when Reid got let go I would support whoever they brought in. The common misconception on the typical anti Reid crowd is that anyone who says he was a good coach (and of course they always couch it with "and I thought Reid was a good coach") is that any defense of him means that any defense of him means no one can replace him. If they replaced him after the SB I would still root for the next guy because I am a fan of the team regardless of who is playing or coaching.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 24 2013, 02:13 PM) *
He should have been fired January 19, 2009. The day after the loss to the Cards in the NFCCG. He lost the team mid way through the season.

Just so I'm entirely clear, you're saying he "lost the team mid way through the season" in which we won 4 of 5 regular season games to close the season, then 2 road playoff games (1 against our biggest rival) before losing on the road in the NFCCG?
Got it.
mcnabbulous
And please don't be one of these guys on here wishing for Chip to fall flat on his face so that Andy looks good in comparison.

Oh man, I would love for you to provide even one example of this. Just one.

I am, without question, the biggest Andy supporter on this board and I've probably been the most optimistic regarding Chip, too.

The "guy on here" you reference is likely just a figment of your imagination. Like 99% of the other shit you spew.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 24 2013, 09:37 PM) *
Oh man, I would love for you to provide even one example of this. Just one.

I am, without question, the biggest Andy supporter on this board and I've probably been the most optimistic regarding Chip, too.

The "guy on here" you reference is likely just a figment of your imagination. Like 99% of the other shit you spew.

My post had nothing to do with you. Seems like you're feeling a little thensative.

Tonight, with the Explorers winning, no post will sour the mood.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2013, 09:49 PM) *
My post had nothing to do with you. Seems like you're feeling a little thensative.

Tonight, with the Explorers winning, no post will sour the mood.

My bad dude, I read that entirely thinking it was posted by HoP. And my response was directed at him.

With that said, it was so nonsensical that it seemed like one of his posts, which doesn't bode well for your post wink.gif

In all seriousness, I haven't seen that sentiment raised by anyone.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 24 2013, 09:53 PM) *
My bad dude, I read that entirely thinking it was posted by HoP. And my response was directed at him.

With that said, it was so nonsensical that it seemed like one of his posts, which doesn't bode well for your post wink.gif

In all seriousness, I haven't seen that sentiment raised by anyone.

I just wanted to mention to RF that I wanted his full support with Chip and that doing so wasn't any reflection on Andy. He's got to come to my town for training camp this year. He owes me a storming of the Novacare from years ago which is easier from the Linc than from Lehigh!!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2013, 10:04 PM) *
I just wanted to mention to RF that I wanted his full support with Chip and that doing so wasn't any reflection on Andy. He's got to come to my town for training camp this year. He owes me a storming of the Novacare from years ago which is easier from the Linc than from Lehigh!!

Well regardless. I don't think you spew shit. That kinda stuff is reserved for a precious few around here*.

If we draft another guard in the first round, you can count on me for that storming.

*apparently after a full day of drinking, I should actually read the names of the posters without assuming.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 24 2013, 10:09 PM) *
Well regardless. I don't think you spew shit. That kinda stuff is reserved for a precious few around here*.

If we draft another guard in the first round, you can count on me for that storming.

*apparently after a full day of drinking, I should actually read the names of the posters without assuming.

Was your drinking March Madness related??
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2013, 10:35 PM) *
Was your drinking March Madness related??

My drinking was drinking problem related. March Madness just gives me a convenient excuse.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2013, 04:46 PM) *
I am still trying to figure out which part of "he replaced good assistants with lousy ones and remained loyal to them" was misunderstood?

The part that insinuates that those decisions aren't fireable offences.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2013, 08:42 PM) *
... for every bad example of poor clock management I will match it with 3 where the Eagles score to end a half.

I don't think anyone is saying that Reid wasn't a good coach for the Eagles, he was. But this isn't baseball where batting .700 would be an outrageous achievement. Buddy Ryan won a lot of games during the regular season but flopped in the playoffs. Reid was a far better coach but would still get outmatched during tight games when the guy on the other side of the field is just as good. Not because the other guy was smarter but because Reid seemed more deliberate and ponderous.

I suspect he believed deeply that his system would be the difference maker. He would tell us how if everyone just did their job the game plan would win. How many times did we hear that he "just has to do a better job of putting his players in a position to make plays?" He was like a mouse caught in one of those glue traps, he was the mouse and the glue is his system. He wouldn't adjust because he believed it wasn't needed ... just go where the play tells you to go and throw the ball where the play dictates.

Andy Reid is a very good coach and by all accounts a fine human being but he doesn't think quickly. I think the fact that he won't answer questions is evidence of this. He knows his limitations and sets himself up to succeed.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 24 2013, 10:53 PM) *

Your Reid-blinders prevented you from reading who the poster was? You're taking it to the next level here.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 25 2013, 12:05 AM) *
The part that insinuates that those decisions aren't fireable offences.

and where does it insinuate anything of the kind or are you just dumb?

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2013, 10:04 PM) *

The difference is that I will actually come down to Philly unlike someone I know who found it too hard to make that drive north...ahem......you will be buying the first 3 rounds...... laugh.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 26 2013, 11:14 PM) *
The difference is that I will actually come down to Philly unlike someone I know who found it too hard to make that drive north...ahem......you will be buying the first 3 rounds...... laugh.gif

Yeah, after going for many consecutive years, I never could make it back. Hopefully this year will be different. I hope they make a bunch of dates open to the public. Will be good to finally meet up.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 27 2013, 12:12 AM) *
and where does it insinuate anything of the kind

"He" would be Andy Reid. "His" choices on and off the field help to determine his ability to lead the football team. Make the right choices, you're a good HC....make the wrong ones (repeatedly) not so much especially if you are unable to staff your positions adequately.

Was that simple enough for you, or is your ability to converse limited to put downs and internet tough guy tactics?
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2013, 11:10 PM) *
Since the original response about "Philly Fan" was directed at me, I asked that question specifically.

So you say he should have gone after the 2012 season and maybe after 2012.

While I freely criticised him over the years, I, the Philly Fan, also did not think he should get fired until after this year. For his success, he deserved the benefit of the doubt that he got. He was dead man walking with about five games left this year and I didn't want him fired then. He deserved to finish it out.

He was the best HC of the Eagles I've seen in my 40+ years of fandom.

AND

Exhibit 1A:

The pace of that last drive in the 2005 is 100% on McNabb.

Reid was terrible at clock management. Even when he got it right, it was awkward and strange. But THAT example is all about the poor conditioning of one overweight, fat assed quarterback and his inability to keep down his chunky soup.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 27 2013, 11:42 AM) *
"He" would be Andy Reid. "His" choices on and off the field help to determine his ability to lead the football team. Make the right choices, you're a good HC....make the wrong ones (repeatedly) not so much especially if you are unable to staff your positions adequately.

Was that simple enough for you, or is your ability to converse limited to put downs and internet tough guy tactics?

ok...let me get this straight...you are saying he was not a good coach, correct?

I just want to be clear here. You are saying that 7 division title, 8 double digit win years and a conference championship are irrelevant...he was not a good coach. And then you wonder....I don't need to say anything more.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 27 2013, 05:52 PM) *

Reid was terrible at clock management. Even when he got it right, it was awkward and strange. But THAT example is all about the poor conditioning of one overweight, fat assed quarterback and his inability to keep down his chunky soup.

they are both gone...but I have to say...the fat ass had thrown for over 300 yards by that point and 43 attempts before that drive or there abouts and taken a hell of a beating....just saying.......including the shot he took from Vrabel or Bruschi while he was down......and he did end up with 354 yards and 3 TDs.....not a bad day.....even the 3 picks were misleading...he had one terrible pick early.......I can't hang that game on him.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 28 2013, 12:10 AM) *
they are both gone...but I have to say...the fat ass had thrown for over 300 yards by that point and 43 attempts before that drive or there abouts and taken a hell of a beating....just saying.......including the shot he took from Vrabel or Bruschi while he was down......and he did end up with 354 yards and 3 TDs.....not a bad day.....even the 3 picks were misleading...he had one terrible pick early.......I can't hang that game on him.

Not a bad day, indeed. But in typical Supa5 fashion . . . it was not a complete day either. That guy seemed to almost be incapable of 60 mins of football. He was always absent for at least a quarter. Often 2 or 3.

You'll have to forgive me for not appreciating the 100 million dollar face of the franchise quarterback being winded with the biggest game on the line.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 27 2013, 08:05 PM) *
ok...let me get this straight...you are saying he was not a good coach, correct?

I just want to be clear here. You are saying that 7 division title, 8 double digit win years and a conference championship are irrelevant...he was not a good coach. And then you wonder....I don't need to say anything more.

After all this time you still haven't gotten it right. He WAS a great coach for the Eagles. In hindsight, his original hand picked assistants were a great match and the chemistry was obvious. Somewhere down the line he stopped being a GREAT coach and became slightly above average. He became less than that near the end of his tenure when his new crop of handpicked assistants didn't help to make him look great. He became a mediocre HC.

Part of his responsibilities as a HC is to 'put people in the position to succeed'. That includes players and his coaching staff. Near the end, neither happened.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 27 2013, 09:23 PM) *
. . . it was not a complete day either. That guy seemed to almost be incapable of 60 mins of football. He was always absent for at least a quarter. Often 2 or 3.

The reference makes it seem like you're actually talking about Reid.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 28 2013, 01:27 AM) *
The reference makes it seem like you're actually talking about Reid.

Perhaps, if one were an imbecile. Fortunately, you and I know I was referring to Mac5's inability to play a complete game. Especially in the post season.
mcnabbulous
Andy Reid's biggest problem was having Andy Reid making personnel decisions on draft day. The roster he inherited was fast and tough on defense. He methodically made it small and soft.

Our assistants would have looked a whole lot better if they were coaching guys like Vincent, Taylor, Dawkins and Trotter instead of Macho Harris and Moises Fokou.

It's the players. It's almost always the players.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 27 2013, 06:52 PM) *

This is where Reid-apologism turns to dementia. No doubt McNabb took his sweet-ass time on the field.....as the head coach, a.k.a. the guy in charge of the team, it is your job at that point to do one of any number of things, such as yell at them to hurry up, run your fat ass out on the field and grab him by the facemask and tell him to hurry up, or even burn a timeout and tell him to hurry up. Standing on the sideline thinking about which toppings you're going to have on your post-game cheeseburger while your offense takes forever is unacceptable and it's entirely on the coach to do something about it.

Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 28 2013, 08:34 AM) *
Andy Reid's biggest problem was having Andy Reid making personnel decisions on draft day. The roster he inherited was fast and tough on defense. He methodically made it small and soft.

Our assistants would have looked a whole lot better if they were coaching guys like Vincent, Taylor, Dawkins and Trotter instead of Macho Harris and Moises Fokou.

It's the players. It's almost always the players.

Where I have to disagree with that is how Andy selected his most recent round of assistants. Why would a coach hire a DL coach who brings an unconventional approach and scheme to his players then follow that with hiring his OL coach to be his boss and DC? That is too much of a risk no matter how it's sliced. If it had worked we'd be calling Andy a genius or incredibly lucky. But the odds seem so tilted to failure that the move necessarily needs to be classified as remarkably stupid ... or something akin to that. Andy was either working for the "genius" label or he disconnected his brain from think mode.

That still doesn't change his prior success.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 28 2013, 08:43 AM) *
Where I have to disagree with that is how Andy selected his most recent round of assistants. Why would a coach hire a DL coach who brings an unconventional approach and scheme to his players then follow that with hiring his OL coach to be his boss and DC?

The hiring of Washburn was awful in hindsight, but at the time it seemed to make a lot of sense. Especially with how poor our pass rush had been in previous seasons. Additionally, there were a lot of rumors early in the off-season that hiring Washburn wasn't necessarily Andy's decision.

As for Castillo, I can't believe this is still a topic of conversation. He didn't promote Castillo to DC because he wanted to. He did it because he had to. Regardless, it became apparent after Castillo was fired that he was the least of our problems on the defensive side. In fact, we regressed after he was relieved of his duties.

That is too much of a risk no matter how it's sliced. If it had worked we'd be calling Andy a genius or incredibly lucky. But the odds seem so tilted to failure that the move necessarily needs to be classified as remarkably stupid ... or something akin to that. Andy was either working for the "genius" label or he disconnected his brain from think mode.

That still doesn't change his prior success.

The reason it didn't work out was because our defense was filled with holes and lacked depth. We had average corners, below average safeties (and I still may be overrating that unit) and holes at LB. Like I said, if we had our early 2000's secondary with Trotter & Emmons at LB, Castillo would have looked a hell of a lot better.

But that's right, we were "talented." Says everyone that clamored all off-season for Aso to be shown the door.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 28 2013, 10:18 AM) *
As for Castillo, I can't believe this is still a topic of conversation. He didn't promote Castillo to DC because he wanted to. He did it because he had to. .

That's just silly. You would have us believe that of all the coaches with any real defensive experience would not take the opportunity to work with "The Great Andy Reid" and a first class organization like the Eagles? It didn't even have to be a top tier coach, how about a college coach with DC experience? Anybody but the offensive line coach. It was a bad decision by Reid. Another example of him trying to prove how much smarter he is/was than everybody else.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 28 2013, 11:31 AM) *
That's just silly. You would have us believe that of all the coaches with any real defensive experience would not take the opportunity to work with "The Great Andy Reid" and a first class organization like the Eagles? It didn't even have to be a top tier coach, how about a college coach with DC experience? Anybody but the offensive line coach. It was a bad decision by Reid. Another example of him trying to prove how much smarter he is/was than everybody else.

Did it happen immediately? They labored over the hiring of a DC for several weeks. If Reid wanted Castillo, he would have named him DC immediately upon firing McDermott.

It was a desperation move.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 28 2013, 01:59 PM) *
Did it happen immediately? They labored over the hiring of a DC for several weeks. If Reid wanted Castillo, he would have named him DC immediately upon firing McDermott.

It was a desperation move.

It wasn't a desperation move. It was a stupid move. In all likelihood, Reid knew that bringing in Mudd signaled the end of JC's tenure with the Eagles and out of loyalty lobbied for him to become the next DC. Either way JC was way over his head, and everybody but Reid recognized it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.