Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will the Eagles draft a QB and if so, where and who?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I'm warming a bit to Geno. He's getting pretty good reviews backed by what is supposed to be a tremendous work ethic. That said, I think the Eagles have greater needs and they know they have greater needs on the defense. I'm thinking they end up taking Scott in the third round using the first two picks for defense and maybe one of the top OL. Also, keeping Foles and Vick the team has two guys who can at least be sit-ins for a year while the defense and team in general gets up to speed. This will give them time to tutor more of a project QB.
HobbEs
It's a shame Pat White isn't coming out this year. The you could have the whole Pat vs. Geno debate. rolleyes.gif
nephillymike
I took Geno in round 1 with the 4th pick. Let him watch for a year and learn and put him in lateer in the year if need be.

They can get an OT in FA who is a top one.

They can't pick up a QB in FA and the cost to get up high enough in the draft next years is prohibitive IMO.

I don't move up to get Geno. Sign Vollmer from NE, draft Geno at 4,sign Grimes at CB, get a S with the 35th pick and then go from there.

If Geno is gone, draft either Warmack, Fisher or Joeckel.
mcnabbulous
I think Geno gets picked by Jax or Oak. I went with EJ in round 2, although I'm not sure I see him as a consistent enough passer to thrive.
nephillymike
I think you may be right about him going before we pick.

There is a huge Smith bandwagon and I don't see the Jags or Raiders jumping off before then.

I don't know About Manuel in the 2nd. Haven't read about him. You may be able to do better than him in 2014 at #12-19.
Eyrie
A write in vote for "we won't draft a QB until 2014" from this side of the pond.

Smith isn't worth #4 and we should concentrate on defence for most of the draft.
mcnabbulous
This idea that Smith isn't worth the #4 pick is one of the most nonsensical concepts I've heard. The guy has all of the physical tools and produced well at the college level. You can question the system, but you can't question the production.

Very few top rated QB's are without question marks. Andrew Luck is one. RGIII had many detractors. In a draft that is noticeably weak at the top, he's more than worthy of a top-5 pick because every guy has question marks.

The idea that Fisher is a viable top pick and Smith isn't is comical. A tackle from Central Michigan is a solid top pick, but the most accomplished passer in college football isn't?
TGryn
I'm warming to the idea of taking Manuel in the 2nd, so that's how I voted. I liked what I saw in the limited views of him I've seen; he's not ready yet, but after a year behind Vick/Foles/whoever, they could have a QB who's a good fit for what Kelly apparently wants in his QBs (based solely on what he ran at Oregon).
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/3/...kout-e-j-manuel
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 22 2013, 02:14 PM) *
I'm warming to the idea of taking Manuel in the 2nd, so that's how I voted. I liked what I saw in the limited views of him I've seen; he's not ready yet, but after a year behind Vick/Foles/whoever, they could have a QB who's a good fit for what Kelly apparently wants in his QBs (based solely on what he ran at Oregon).
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/3/...kout-e-j-manuel

Given the depth of the draft class, I'm not sure that blowing a high second round pick is any less painful than a high first.
While I'm intrigued by Manuel's upside, I think his floor is really low. With Geno, if he doesn't develop into a star, I could still see him being a solid pro for a decade. I think EJ is either boom or bust.
TGryn
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 22 2013, 11:58 AM) *
Given the depth of the draft class, I'm not sure that blowing a high second round pick is any less painful than a high first.

I don't see guys of the quality of Joeckel, Fisher, Louletelei, or Jordan (or Smith) being there when our 2nd round pick comes around, while there's a very good chance of one of them being available at #4 overall. No one is saying that Manuel is as good a prospect at Smith, but at the same time the quality of player available is a lot higher at #4 than #35 (although the dropoff from ~#10-15 to ~#50-#60 is significantly less than it is in the average draft).
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 22 2013, 03:15 PM) *
I don't see guys of the quality of Joeckel, Fisher, Louletelei, or Jordan (or Smith) being there when our 2nd round pick comes around, while there's a very good chance of one of them being available at #4 overall. No one is saying that Manuel is as good a prospect at Smith, but at the same time the quality of player available is a lot higher at #4 than #35 (although the dropoff from ~#10-15 to ~#50-#60 is significantly less than it is in the average draft).

I just think all those guys at that top are deeply flawed, which means that the risk of missing on a guy like Geno is no greater than any of them. And the upside is far more with a QB.

And because Geno had a higher floor than EJ, IMO, it's a smarter play. Especially because there are going to be a lot of talented guys available in the early part of the second. Maybe not quite the upside of the guys you mentioned, but talented.

The reality is that given our many misses in the past several years, we need to be hitting on our first 3 picks in each draft over the next few years. A high second isn't dramatically less valuable than a high first, especially in a draft that's notably lacking at the top.
chuckp
I picked E.J. In the second, or we won't take one at all
Eyrie
I'm not convinced that Smith is worth #4 just because he is the best QB in a weak QB class. Wasn't Bobby Hoying the first QB drafted that year? Obviously Smith is a far better prospect, but I wouldn't be looking at him in the top ten and think he would only start to represent value in the late teens.

QB is such an important position though that someone will reach for him. He'll probably end up a solid pro rather than a superstar, and didn't someone say that a superstar QB is necessary to win SuperBowls?

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 22 2013, 08:25 PM) *
The reality is that given our many misses in the past several years, we need to be hitting on our first 3 picks in each draft over the next few years. A high second isn't dramatically less valuable than a high first, especially in a draft that's notably lacking at the top.

Something we can all agree on, especially this year with the very early picks and next year when we'll probably be in the 10-15 range (hate to think we'll still be drafting in the top five, and there are too many holes to fill to be picking much later).
HobbEs
Interesting...PFT now has Matt Barkley rated above Geno. If he would've come out after his junior year he might've been a first round pick. He certainly didn't make a lot of noise last year.
JeeQ
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Mar 25 2013, 08:09 AM) *
Interesting...PFT now has Matt Barkley rated above Geno. If he would've come out after his junior year he might've been a first round pick. He certainly didn't make a lot of noise last year.

Drafting a USC QB is the same as throwing your pick away
D Rock
Don't look now, but Geno Smith is falling down draft boards as quickly as he flew up. I read a number of articles today that list Nassib as higher, and some predicting Barkley will overtake him after his proday this week.

(pro day's are useless for quarterbacks, but some folks lovem.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.