Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If the Eagles are Done In Free Agency
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Let's suppose that the Eagles don't sign anymore free agents. They go into the draft and draft who they think's best and maybe out of the eight picks, they get five that they feel are good enough to make the team, and, to make room, they cut five guys currently on the roster. Maybe one or two of the other picks are good enough to make the practice squad and one or two just aren't good enough for either. Maybe they pick up a veteran minumum guy at some point to fill in for a minor need but that is it.

Would you be happy?

My guess is that most of you would be OK, assuming that the draft was reasonable in the talent it brings in relative to reasonable expectations.

Anyone you feel we definitely need to get before the FA period is over?

If this was it, how would you rate the Eagles free Agency period:

A - Excellent
B - Good
C - Average
D - Below Average
F - Poor

Feel free to use +'s and -'s on the grades.

Just trying to get the concensus of the board as of now.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 19 2013, 07:31 PM) *
Let's suppose that the Eagles don't sign anymore free agents. They go into the draft and draft who they think's best and maybe out of the eight picks, they get five that they feel are good enough to make the team, and, to make room, they cut five guys currently on the roster. Maybe one or two of the other picks are good enough to make the practice squad and one or two just aren't good enough for either. Maybe they pick up a veteran minumum guy at some point to fill in for a minor need but that is it.

Would you be happy?

My guess is that most of you would be OK, assuming that the draft was reasonable in the talent it brings in relative to reasonable expectations.

Anyone you feel we definitely need to get before the FA period is over?

If this was it, how would you rate the Eagles free Agency period:

A - Excellent
B - Good
C - Average
D - Below Average
F - Poor

Feel free to use +'s and -'s on the grades.

Just trying to get the concensus of the board as of now.

-A. We got far more done through free agency than I expected. Our defense has gotten more physical, and so has offense. I'm pretty excited about the James Casey signing it tells me that chip will INDEED use our backs, plus just the shear versatility has me day dreaming of a serious no huddle attack in which Casey bounces from position to position, from run formation to pass formation based upon what the defense gives us. And we haven't even gotten to the draft.
JaxEagle
I'm giving the new regime the benefit of any doubts but, at minimum, it isn't an exciting offseason. That doesn't mean it won't prove to be a good one though.
Zero
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Mar 19 2013, 09:08 PM) *
-A. We got far more done through free agency than I expected. Our defense has gotten more physical, and so has offense. I'm pretty excited about the James Casey signing it tells me that chip will INDEED use our backs, plus just the shear versatility has me day dreaming of a serious no huddle attack in which Casey bounces from position to position, from run formation to pass formation based upon what the defense gives us. And we haven't even gotten to the draft.

B- I agree with this except I think with the OT still available in FA they need to get an insurance for the return of Peters in order to maximize their draft. With a viable replacement/RT they can either add that stud LB or QB at #4. Without, they can trade down to get more picks, accept more of an OL project later on or sacrifice a better player at another position of need (S, CB ...).

I like what they've done so far. Risks but players who should show fight.
chuckp
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 20 2013, 06:08 AM) *
B- I agree with this except I think with the OT still available in FA they need to get an insurance for the return of Peters in order to maximize their draft. With a viable replacement/RT they can either add that stud LB or QB at #4. Without, they can trade down to get more picks, accept more of an OL project later on or sacrifice a better player at another position of need (S, CB ...).

I like what they've done so far. Risks but players who should show fight.

I agree, I give it a B and with all the money still left sign someone at RT so we can do anything in the draft.
Eyrie
Add another "B" here. Nothing flashy about the signings, just a bunch of guys that will work hard and hopefully get the job done.

However I want to get younger at T so I'd still prefer Joekel or Fisher at #4.
nephillymike
The Eagles carried into this year, $23.0M of unused cap space from last year.

After retructuring Vick and making the Nnamdi and other cuts, and not signing certain guys, and after adding any slight increase in the cap for this year, they picked up another 19.9M of cap room to put us at $42.9M before this years free agency signings.

Here's the 2103 cap cost of what we've done so far:

Casey 4.015M
Sopoaga 3.750M
Chung 3.000M
Williams 2.416M
Fletcher 2.350M
Phillips 2.000M
Barwin 1.300M
Total 19.461M (excludes the LB Phillips who is not listed for some reason in the top 51. Unless hes a minimum deal which isn't in the top 51)

That leaves us right now with $23.4M. !!

Our rookie pool salary cap allocation is $7.4M. However, it is really not all going to be used. Each rookie we sign we will cut a player and his salary from our current list of 51. So we will pay $7.4M to rookeis if we keep them all, and will cut at a minimum of 3.6M if we cut eight minimum salary guys currently on the roster so the net would be really 3.8M at the max. It is very poissible that if we need to cut some higher proiced guys we could have a solary cap pickup of a few millions. So the rookie pool net of cuts is not a big concern.

So we're back to over $20M minimum of cap space left, and it only cost us $19M for the eight we signed this year!

There is no excuse not to sign two more significant free agents.. We have the money from savings in years past. We need to use them to improve our team ASAP. No need to field a 8-8 team when you can field a 10-6 version.

My two wishes:

RT Vollmer NE
ILB Brad Jones GB

Get them and get a couple of future starters in the draft and we're good to go!
Flying Dutchman
I'ld give them a B for going back to basics and getting the kind of mudders who can win games without winning headlines. With our best STmers out much of last year we were atrocious. Kelly obviously takes this seriously. STs could be fun to watch again this year.
nephillymike
FWIW, I'd give them a B- so far.

LB Jones just resigned with the Packers.

Still quiet on Vollmer front.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 21 2013, 06:49 PM) *
FWIW, I'd give them a B- so far.

LB Jones just resigned with the Packers.

Still quiet on Vollmer front.

Unbelievable, Harry. The Axis and the Roseys gave the same grade. laugh.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 21 2013, 07:18 PM) *
Unbelievable, Harry. The Axis and the Roseys gave the same grade. laugh.gif

Our meetings are the first Tuesday of every month!!
TGryn
Couple good writeups on Fletcher and Williams, who are apparently our starting CBs for 2013 as long as they stay healthy:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1577714...adelphia-eagles
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1573717...radley-fletcher
chuckp
Was posted on Twitter by Jeff Mclane that the Eagles intend on keeping Vinny Curry at DE and not OLB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.