Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here's an argument for trading down
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Linc ...

Mayock:
"I think we probably have better depth than we've had in the last 10 years," he said. "Now, the top end of the draft, the top 10 picks, I don't see the difference-makers like we've had the last several years."

If the "difference makers" aren't there at #4 wouldn't it make more sense to add picks and build a stronger, deeper roster? This is the point where I'm happy they brought in Gamble.
Dreagon
I think you take Joeckel if he's there. And despite the heart scare, Lotalielie (sp?) would be a good way to start your new foray into the 3-4 as well. Other than that, he might be right.
D Rock
A trade dwn would be great, but if the top is as weak as advertised, who's gonna move up? We're not drafting in a vacuume. You gotta hope some dope has fallen in love w geno ans is willing to reach on the guy. Right now, I'm just hoping Kelly isn't that dope ,
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 18 2013, 09:16 AM) *
A trade dwn would be great, but if the top is as weak as advertised, who's gonna move up? We're not drafting in a vacuume. You gotta hope some dope has fallen in love w geno ans is willing to reach on the guy. Right now, I'm just hoping Kelly isn't that dope ,

While I agree that a trade down is relatively unlikely, I love that Kelly would be considered a "dope" if he were to think Smith was the right fit for his offense. Is Kelly not as qualified as Optimum Football, Walter Football or even the infallible genius, Bill Polian, to identify Smith's strengths and weaknesses?
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 18 2013, 04:57 PM) *
While I agree that a trade down is relatively unlikely, I love that Kelly would be considered a "dope" if he were to think Smith was the right fit for his offense. Is Kelly not as qualified as Optimum Football, Walter Football or even the infallible genius, Bill Polian, to identify Smith's strengths and weaknesses?

He's only a dope if he makes that loathsome mistake of reaching for a quarterback that has no business in the top 10 of an NFL draft.
Eyrie
Kelly will be considered a dope if most of us are right about Smith.

If mcnabbulous is right, then most of us will be the dopes.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 18 2013, 02:12 PM) *

I love how in your scenario, I have no chance of being a dope wink.gif
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 18 2013, 02:12 PM) *

Put me in McNabbulous' camp as pro Geno Smith.. From what I have seen of Geno he can be a legitimate NFL QB. Combine that with the creative genius of Chip, we have the potential to be very explosive. Plus, I think he has much more upside than Foles. I don't have confidence in Foles.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 18 2013, 04:00 PM) *
Put me in McNabbulous' camp as pro Geno Smith.. From what I have seen of Geno he can be a legitimate NFL QB. Combine that with the creative genius of Chip, we have the potential to be very explosive. Plus, I think he has much more upside than Foles. I don't have confidence in Foles.

I'm wavering.

I like Foles and I think his rookie success and how well he compares to others in passing yards per game, int rate etc. is encouraging. could he run an offense developed by Kelly? Yes. Would he be the best choice to run the full menu Kelly offense? No, he's too slow.

If Kelly thinks Smith can do what he needs, I think he knows what he wants so I would be OK with it. Also, we really don't need anything from Smith until 2014 so he can sit and learn and maybe come in late in year 1 so the year 2 Smith after one year of Kelly may be a very viable top five pick, even if he isn't that now.

As I mentioned in another thread, the cost of moving up to get in position to get a top QB in next year's draft is just too much, provided Kelly and Roseman have any clue.

My caveat is though, that we need an OT right now. If we don't pick up a good one in FA, and really only Volmer fits of the top ones that are left. If I get a QB in the draft, I need a good RT in FA.

Look for us signing a top RT. If we do, then start the Geno welcoming banquet.
chuckp
I would rather see them take E.J. Or Matt Scott
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 18 2013, 07:58 PM) *
I love how in your scenario, I have no chance of being a dope wink.gif

It's fine as long as DRock doesn't notice ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 18 2013, 09:00 PM) *

I remember when you were one of the smarter posters on here. When did you start disagreeing with me? sad.gif
JaxEagle
Some would argue that EJ and Geno may be a wash...
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 18 2013, 09:16 AM) *

I agree completely....talking about trading down as if it is a strong possibility to get value is like the old call-in radio sport shows on WIP where guys would call in and talk about trading for another teams star and their trade proposal would consist of 3 bench players. If we think the draft talent is pretty level so does the rest of the league. I am kind of resigned to Kelly taking Smith.....which means that Foles and/or Vick will be traded. I look at the McNabb draft choice and that worked out pretty well for the most part so while I don't particularly like Smith I am no expert.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.