Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The sucktatude of the Eagles' ST
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
The past few years have given us terrible ST play from the Eagles. I'm sure there's more than one reason for this but I was just thinking how much it has impacted the W-L record.

How much of the team's futility the past couple of years can be attributed to a blasť approach by the players that, in part is a product of dismal ST performance? How has the players' psych been affected by a sense that their backs are always going to be in a corner and they're always going to be starting with a disadvantage? "For who? For what?" Poor attitude exasperated by a sense of futility.

Now, look at what Howie and Chipperdoodle have been doing in FA. If I'm not mistaken, every player they have brought in is known as a good-to-very good ST player. Willingness and desire. Toughness and determination.

This is a variation of the "character" theme Andy always looked for but not so much community character as football character. To me he's looking for guys who can increase the odds for him. Instead of the other team starting at the 40, nail them at the 10. Instead of making your QB start every damn possession at the 15, get the ball out to the 35-40 consistently. Give the players a sense of accomplishment and opportunity on every possession.
nephillymike
I agree we sucked on ST.

It was lack of talent and desire. Think about it. These clowns weren't good enough to replace those dog starters in the lineup. Also, they saw the lack of balls on the starters and they had no example. Nobobdy set the tone.

I have no stats to prove it (nor the time to look it up), but I think ST's are overated. People say that they're 1/3 of the game. If you just go by snaps on the field, I would guess they are about 1/10th. If you are great, maybe you give up five yards per return less than the last team, not necessarily a huge factor.

I think ST's #1 measurement should be points. Points scored on returns, points allowed on returns, FG"S made by distance over or under the NFL average, turnovers and turnovers created. You could mix in long returns gotten and given, maybe say 15 yds above average (saving the offense a first down or costing the defense a first down). Other than that, the 2-3 yard differences in average returns are virtually meaningless IMO. I'm pretty sure if you measured these stats only, we still sucked!!
samaroo
I remember a quote from years ago about how important special teams play is. I think it was from Tony Dungy, but I could be wrong. He said that every 8th play is some kind of a kick, so if your ST's suck, it can be kind of a big whole to climb out of.

I think they're important, for the reasons Zero said. If every drive starts 5-10 yards further along, that's huge. It won't make every drive a TD, but how many times could that turn an attempted FG into a TD over the course of a season? Or the reverse on defense?
Phits
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 27 2013, 03:19 PM) *
I remember a quote from years ago about how important special teams play is. I think it was from Tony Dungy, but I could be wrong. He said that every 8th play is some kind of a kick, so if your ST's suck, it can be kind of a big whole to climb out of.

I think they're important, for the reasons Zero said. If every drive starts 5-10 yards further along, that's huge. It won't make every drive a TD, but how many times could that turn an attempted FG into a TD over the course of a season? Or the reverse on defense?

In a game of inches 5-10 yards is huge.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
Aw c'mon now ...

They're not called Ordinary Teams. They're called Special Teams.

You don't need to know any more than that.

They're more than important. They're CRUCIAL !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.