Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FA Report Not Good
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013WR.php

also checked Peter King's top 50 list in SI and his FA fantasy draft in SI

And checked the USA today top 50 FA

From Walter's:

The CB we got was 36th best CB, behind a bunch of guys who suck.

The S was 15th best S, behind some guys who suck. Comcast had a writer from NE on and he said he was benched last year for poor play.

The DT was 27th best DT

The LB was 32nd best LB

James Casey doesn't even appear among the top 20 FB, the top 30 TE or the top 30 WR's

And these are the ranks just among the FA's at their position!!

None of them make either the USA today or Peter King FA top 50.

King does a mock fantasy FA draft with him and thre others where they have to all draft a team at all posiitons. So basically there are 25 picks ea and four teams so 100 players are selected. The ONLY one of ours selected was Casey in the 23rd round. That's it.

Imagine if you are having a fantasy draft and all the other owners are selecting the top people at their positions, and you go in and select from the bottom of the barrel on Day 1, when you have the most money to spend in FA of everyone.

Guys, unless they make a huge recovery, methinks their ass backwards approach is a bad sign that they don't know what the hell they're doing.

I mean really. Look at those rankings. There are guys we jettisoned long ago that are FA and rated higher than these guys.

mcnabbulous
I keep seeing really good stuff about Fletcher. I'm excited about that pickup.
Zero
Maybe we need a Dream Team?

Not terrible review here.

Interesting no OL.
VICKtory
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 13 2013, 05:28 AM) *

Interesting no OL.

I'm expecting OL will be the one big(ish) signing they make and they're just waiting to get the best deal possible. I'd like to believe they're smart enough to realize we are in need of at least one more solid to great OL and we've certainly got the money to do it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see another secondary player or two, a wide out, or a pass rushing LB with 3-4 experience.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 13 2013, 04:28 AM) *

Interesting no OL.

Philadelphia Eagles: Less than two years ago, the Eagles made big splash after big splash in free agency, moves that yielded a 12-20 record and resulted in the firing of head coach Andy Reid. General manager Howie Roseman has clearly learned the lesson and, with the team moving to a 3-4 defense, made a quartet of defensive signings to fit the scheme. The centerpiece of the transactions was Isaac Sopoaga, a versatile former 49ers defensive lineman who could play a few spots along the Eagles' line. The Eagles added cornerback Bradley Fletcher, an oft-injured player who will certainly play on the outside in a secondary that released Nnamdi Asomugha on Tuesday and figures to lose Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to free agency. The Eagles also signed safety Patrick Chung, who should compete for a starting job, and linebacker Jason Phillips, a core special teams guy. On offense, the Eagles added swiss army knife James Casey, a fullback/tight end hybrid whose versatility will be appreciated by Chip Kelly's unique offensive mind

So we got a S who is was benched in NE and is good enough to "compete" for a starting job in the worst Safety group in the NFL? We got a ST LB. We got a will be 32 year old NT who was a situational player in SF who only played 300 snaps last year. We got a CB with a bunch of injuries that started how many games? Casey may be useful in this offense, so useful he didn't make anyone's list. They got squat. These are the guys you pick up to fill in roster spots after the big FA signigs are done, not day 1 signings as the ceneterpieces of your FA period. We need bonifide solid starter or Pro Bowl capable guys to improve our team, not backups to "compete" for jobs on one of the worst telented teams in the NFL.

They have time. Time to show that they know what they're doing. Day 1 was not impressive at all IMO.
mcnabbulous
Mikey - we've learned that we shouldn't have "centerpieces" of a FA signing period. Filling the roster is absolutely what this time of year is for. These guys are FA's for a reason. Spending big money on them is almost never smart.

The reason teams sign free agents is to make up for failures in the draft.
TGryn
I liked Fletcher coming out of the draft. The issue isn't his play, its that he's already blown out his right knee twice. When he's been healthy, he's started.

We're building for possibly doing something in 2014. That means taking chances on young guys and seeing who pans out. I'm not concerned about not getting big names with immediate impact, since I regard this season as a writeoff: too many coaching and system changes with a 4-12 roster to expect much.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 13 2013, 10:31 AM) *
So we got a S who is was benched in NE and is good enough to "compete" for a starting job in the worst Safety group in the NFL? We got a ST LB. We got a will be 32 year old NT who was a situational player in SF who only played 300 snaps last year. We got a CB with a bunch of injuries that started how many games? Casey may be useful in this offense, so useful he didn't make anyone's list. They got squat. These are the guys you pick up to fill in roster spots after the big FA signigs are done, not day 1 signings as the ceneterpieces of your FA period. We need bonifide solid starter or Pro Bowl capable guys to improve our team, not backups to "compete" for jobs on one of the worst telented teams in the NFL.

They have time. Time to show that they know what they're doing. Day 1 was not impressive at all IMO.

cheers.gif cheers.gif
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 13 2013, 11:07 AM) *
The reason teams sign free agents is to make up for failures in the draft.

Free Agency and Draft selections are equal crap shoots.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 13 2013, 12:13 PM) *

Not really. Free Agency is full of known commodities. Draft picks are definitely crap shoots, but the good teams don't miss as frequently as we have in recent years.

Free Agency is full of guys who weren't kept by their previous teams. That's usually quite telling. And the good ones who do it the market tend to get overpaid.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 13 2013, 12:16 PM) *
Not really. Free Agency is full of known commodities. Draft picks are definitely crap shoots, but the good teams don't miss as frequently as we have in recent years.

Free Agency is full of guys who weren't kept by their previous teams. That's usually quite telling. And the good ones who do it the market tend to get overpaid.

You never know how Player X will work in System Y. Past success does not translate to the future. Being a 'known commodity' is only relevant for the paycheck, not for the output.

FA is a mix of players who opted to go that route and teams that have allowed them to do so.

The "good teams" strike a balance between free agency and draft picks. There is no recipe for success.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 13 2013, 12:45 PM) *
The "good teams" strike a balance between free agency and draft picks. There is no recipe for success.

Yes there is. Get a QB, draft well so you can fill your roster with cheap, young talent. Name a big money FA on the Ravens.

There is an occasional big name that hits the market at the right time and with their skills progressing. Those are few and far between though.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 13 2013, 12:53 PM) *
Yes there is. Get a QB, draft well so you can fill your roster with cheap, young talent.

How is that working out for Buffalo, Miami, Oakland, Jax, Rams, Cards, Jets, Cleveland, Detroit etc...?

mcnabbulous
What QB are you referring to? It can't be just any QB. You have to get one that is good at quarterbackery.
Zero
What they got so far are all special teams players who are talented and hungry. I don't have a problem with that. I think they need to look seriously at an OL and maybe a LB who are legit starters.

I don't think this team needs to get splashy players like they did two years ago. They need to improve the core of the team so they'll have true flexibility in the draft and avoid the impulse to reach for a given position.

Chung is talented but has apparently had injury problems
Sopoaga is a solid, experiened NT who is probably slated for situational playing
Fletcher is in a similar boat as Chung
Casey apparently can play FB, HB and receiver well
Phillips is supposed to be a bigger Colt Anderson
All are reported to be good ST players and dedicated, hard workers

I don't want another Dream Team atmosphere here. I don't see the sky falling and I think there will be more popular signings to come. That said, I think these guys are important to affect a change in the team attitude/culture, and that may be more important than name recognition and starter status at this point.
nephillymike
OK, it's getting a little better, enough to get me off the ledge.

Cary Williams 12th rated CB
Kenny Philips 7th rated S
Conor Barwin 4th rated OLB

Much better.

8 new guys, 7 on D one on O. I wonder how worried those dogs on last year's defense are about now.

common theme, injuries with something to prove or backups for good teams with something to prove with a few exceptions.

They should be hungry.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 13 2013, 06:13 PM) *

I get where you're coming from, but at least you've seen FAs play against NFL talent for a number of years. Sure, there might be scheme differences and other variables, but assuming you have a competent ProScouting Dept. you know more about free agents than college kids getting their first shot.

Jemarcus Russel as a free agent looks quite a bit different than Jemarcus Russel the potential draft pick (for example).
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 14 2013, 05:59 PM) *
I get where you're coming from, but at least you've seen FAs play against NFL talent for a number of years. Sure, there might be scheme differences and other variables, but assuming you have a competent ProScouting Dept. you know more about free agents than college kids getting their first shot.

Jemarcus Russel as a free agent looks quite a bit different than Jemarcus Russel the potential draft pick (for example).

I agree. Your FA batting average should be twice of what your draft average is.

Check out my previous stats as to how much a crap shoot the draft is. The most baffling thing in all of sports for me is the NFL's obsession with draft picks. If I ever get the time, I'll do a look back at how we did with FA vs. draft picks.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 15 2013, 12:48 AM) *
I agree. Your FA batting average should be twice of what your draft average is.

Check out my previous stats as to how much a crap shoot the draft is. The most baffling thing in all of sports for me is the NFL's obsession with draft picks. If I ever get the time, I'll do a look back at how we did with FA vs. draft picks.

I agree with your sentiment that draft picks are over valued. The counter to that however, would be both cultural and financial.

Look what happened to the locker room with both the TO debacle and the dream team nightmare. Now with a rookie wage scale, you're paying 7 mill for 7 or more players. Try doing that in free agency.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.