Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I love the guy, but can the Eagles depend on Cole?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Was his bad year due to a screwed up system for the DL or has Trent Cole succumbed to age? He's always seemed to be a bit undersized compared to other DL and achieved his results with persistence and effort. At 30, fighting giants for 7 years, how many years can he have left?

Again, I love the guy but it's possible that Dion Jordan could be that "difference maker" people like to talk about. The kind of player teams need to scheme for. Is there room for both?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 5 2013, 06:15 AM) *
Was his bad year due to a screwed up system for the DL or has Trent Cole succumbed to age? He's always seemed to be a bit undersized compared to other DL and achieved his results with persistence and effort. At 30, fighting giants for 7 years, how many years can he have left?

Again, I love the guy but it's possible that Dion Jordan could be that "difference maker" people like to talk about. The kind of player teams need to scheme for. Is there room for both?


Cole has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt, last year was a mulligan in that god-awful system. While fans naturally will look at and nitpick every single position and player, one of the last people/positions on defense I'd be worried about is Cole. As long as Nnamdi is employed by us Cole shouldn't even get mentioned.
BirdsWinBaby
I like cole. I don't like his occasional several game lapse in production that DID NOT begin with last season. I agree that he is not even close to the problem that Aso or the safeties are, but Aso is still here cuz of his contract. Jenkins is gone for the same reason. I don't know what Cole's contract sitch is.

Bottom line is he is an ok player these days, not great. In his prime he was better than average. Now he is an aging speed rusher. You can depend on him to be just ok until he completely sucks

Whether he stays or goes depends solely on his contract. I won't care either way
nephillymike
Sadly, Magic Eight Ball Says "No"
JaxEagle
Could he rebound? Yes

Can we depend on him? No
iggleslover49
Cole is gone if we pick up Jordan. It gets crowded if Jordan enters the picture. Cole has graham and Curry to compete with for that predator spot in this situation. And both of them will be on the rise while Cole gets older. I actually like graham standing up more than Cole.
VICKtory
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Mar 5 2013, 10:11 PM) *
Cole is gone if we pick up Jordan. It gets crowded if Jordan enters the picture. Cole has graham and Curry to compete with for that predator spot in this situation. And both of them will be on the rise while Cole gets older. I actually like graham standing up more than Cole.


If we are running a 4-3 under (which it seems we are) I don't believe Cole and Jordan would be fighting for the same position. Cole would more than likely be playing LEO which is a hand in the dirt get after the quarterback position, that rushes approximately 95% of the time and drops back the other 5%. While Jordan on the other hand would play the PREDATOR position that is more like a typical 3-4 outisde backer that rushes the passer around 70% of the time and drops back around 30% of the time. The predator position sounds perfect for Jordan considering his great athletic ability to get back into coverage well when asked to do so.

Graham on the other hand could go either way, I'm thinking he and Cole will split time this year at leo and we will find someone new for the predator position, Jordan or whoever that may be. Of course Graham has said that he is cutting weight for his new position so he very well could be the predator, but I highly doubt Cole makes that switch.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Mar 6 2013, 12:07 AM) *
If we are running a 4-3 under (which it seems we are) I don't believe Cole and Jordan would be fighting for the same position. Cole would more than likely be playing LEO which is a hand in the dirt get after the quarterback position, that rushes approximately 95% of the time and drops back the other 5%. While Jordan on the other hand would play the PREDATOR position that is more like a typical 3-4 outisde backer that rushes the passer around 70% of the time and drops back around 30% of the time. The predator position sounds perfect for Jordan considering his great athletic ability to get back into coverage well when asked to do so.

Graham on the other hand could go either way, I'm thinking he and Cole will split time this year at leo and we will find someone new for the predator position, Jordan or whoever that may be. Of course Graham has said that he is cutting weight for his new position so he very well could be the predator, but I highly doubt Cole makes that switch.

Ok then what I would call the SLB is what you call predator. But yes most definitely will be this way. But "LEO", from what I understanding, will play in a two point stance mostly and occasionally drop to a four point;THIS is the question and is a big one. Cole lacks the lateral agility for this style of play unless he's training hard as we speak to get better in space.
VICKtory
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Mar 6 2013, 08:53 PM) *
Ok then what I would call the SLB is what you call predator. But yes most definitely will be this way. But "LEO", from what I understanding, will play in a two point stance mostly and occasionally drop to a four point;THIS is the question and is a big one. Cole lacks the lateral agility for this style of play unless he's training hard as we speak to get better in space.

I don't think lateral agility will be a huge factor for someone who only drops back 5% of the time, he pretty much did that with McDermott already
HobbEs
He was doomed from the moment I bought his jersey. unsure.gif

I think someone mentioned he played as a 3-4 OLB in college? I hope he can make the transition back. He's one of my favorite players and I would hate to lose him over a scheme change.
VICKtory
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Mar 7 2013, 09:20 AM) *
He was doomed from the moment I bought his jersey. unsure.gif

I think someone mentioned he played as a 3-4 OLB in college? I hope he can make the transition back. He's one of my favorite players and I would hate to lose him over a scheme change.


I don't think he played OLB, I think he was just like Graham.
An undersized DE who was projected to be too small and forced to make the change to OLB, and then obviously he went on to prove everyone wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong here
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.