Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tom Brady
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Guy just signed a new contract in New England that will pay him about half of his worth over the next few seasons because he wants to retire a Patriot and allow the team to spend on other guys and remain competitive.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/...riots-contract/
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 25 2013, 04:26 PM) *
Guy just signed a new contract in New England that will pay him about half of his worth over the next few seasons because he wants to retire a Patriot and allow the team to spend on other guys and remain competitive.

.....uh yeah, and with his current net worth (not to mention his wife's), and the tens (if not hundreds) of millions more he'll get for the rest of his life in endorsements/broadcasting/etc., I wouldn't exactly say he's falling on a grenade here for the greater good. Great PR move though.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 25 2013, 05:14 PM) *
.....uh yeah, and with his current net worth (not to mention his wife's), and the tens (if not hundreds) of millions more he'll get for the rest of his life in endorsements/broadcasting/etc., I wouldn't exactly say he's falling on a grenade here for the greater good. Great PR move though.

Regardless, it's a rarity.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 25 2013, 05:24 PM) *

Not really a rarity, but it's still a class act.....even if it is just window dressing.

Rottenburger did it last season (2012), and the season before that (2011).

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 25 2013, 05:55 PM) *
Not really a rarity, but it's still a class act.....even if it is just window dressing.

Rottenburger did it last season (2012), and the season before that (2011).

Took half his market rate in salary? Brady left like $30M on the table. That's pretty damn rare.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 25 2013, 06:01 PM) *
Took half his market rate in salary? Brady left like $30M on the table. That's pretty damn rare.

according to the link:

here will be Brady's cap numbers over the next five seasons, according to a source with knowledge of the contract:
2013: $13.8 million
2014: $14.8 million
2015: $13 million
2016: $14 million
2017: $15 million
The Patriots can do this by guaranteeing his salaries for the next three and giving him much of the money in a chunk of a bonus right now.

Guaranteeing 3 years is the real rarity.

nephillymike
I hope he has a smart agent that put a provision in there that if the Pats don't spend the cap, some of that unspent money goes to Brady.

Why should he take such a discount UNLESS they will put it into improving the team. I'm sure he thinks they are going to do it, but for his sake, I hope he has a clause.

For example, imagine if he was the eagle QB and did the same thing going into last year, only to find out that besides having bad talent, they left $22M under the cap that they didn't spend to improve it!! He'd be the biggest sucker around. As we all know, not all FA money turns to gold, but if he's taking the discount, he shoul dmake sure they hold up their end of the deal.
Phits
Steelers reportedly reworking Ben Roethlisberger’s contract

This is the third consecutive season the Steelers have found cap relief by way of Big Ben's contracts.

LINK
SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 25 2013, 05:24 PM) *

Not for him. This will be the second time he has restructured his contract.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 25 2013, 04:26 PM) *

Cowboys restructure DeMarcus Ware contract

In addition to Ware, the Cowboys now plan to restructure the contracts of about a dozen players to get under the salary cap by March 12, according to a source. One of those players the club approached was cornerback Orlando Scandrick, according to a source. That deal has yet to be finalized.
mcnabbulous
The rarity isn't Brady restructuring. It's him making $9M/yr under his new deal, which is significantly less than the deal Ware restructured to.

That's the point of this thread. Brady's market value is $18-20M/yr.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.