Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pre-Draft Depth Chart
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HOUSEoPAIN
This is what we can assume our depth chart looks like right now going into the draft.

This is actually a pretty cool sight, a lot more tolerable than listening to Mel Kiper. It gives a good perspective of where we are. On a side note, I really hope Aso isn't on this chart come next season.
Eyrie
Interesting to see how they project us in a 3-4 alignment.

And it's good to see Peters back.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 21 2013, 01:57 PM) *
Interesting to see how they project us in a 3-4 alignment.

And it's good to see Peters back.

Precisely what I was referring to - I'm sure most of us figured Brandon Graham would find his way into being a makeshift linebacker, but I wasn't so sure about Cole being taken off the line. Of course this isn't official either.

Our o-line actually looks pretty good assuming they stay healthy.
TGryn
If the season started today, Matt Reynolds and Matt Kopa would be our starting OTs.

The odds of getting all of Peters, Kelce, and Herremans back in time for camp aren't great; possible, but not great. Even then, I'd expect the usual takes-a-year-to-get-back-to-100% lag time...and there's the problem that Kelce doesn't fit a lot of OL schemes because of his size.

It should also be extremely concerning that not one of the projected OLBs has ever played linebacker. That might be OK for the pseudo-DE spot in the Under 4-3, but the other guy covering the TE could be a big problem for us if this is what we're doing.

Fortunately, we'll probably pick up some depth via FA, and we should expect the #4 pick to be an immediate starter.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ Feb 21 2013, 03:07 PM) *
If the season started today, Matt Reynolds and Matt Kopa would be our starting OTs.

The odds of getting all of Peters, Kelce, and Herremans back in time for camp aren't great; possible, but not great. Even then, I'd expect the usual takes-a-year-to-get-back-to-100% lag time...and there's the problem that Kelce doesn't fit a lot of OL schemes because of his size.

It should also be extremely concerning that not one of the projected OLBs has ever played linebacker. That might be OK for the pseudo-DE spot in the Under 4-3, but the other guy covering the TE could be a big problem for us if this is what we're doing.

Fortunately, we'll probably pick up some depth via FA, and we should expect the #4 pick to be an immediate starter.

To summarize, we're going to suck this year.
D Rock
QUOTE (TGryn @ Feb 21 2013, 09:07 PM) *

The odds of getting all of Peters, Kelce, and Herremans back in time for camp aren't great

Based on what?
Kelce doesn't fit a lot of OL schemes because of his size.

Kelce is a future Pro Bowler.
It should also be extremely concerning that not one of the projected OLBs has ever played linebacker.

Actually, Graham played SAM in a 3/4 in college and was projected as a 3/4 OLB coming out in the draft.

Dion will not be an "immediate starter" in the NFL. He'll need time to bulk up from his 225 playing weight.

Also, pick #4 has to be better than "immediate starter." He has to be a "perrenial All Pro."

Dion is another shot at "upside" and "potential." That's fine after pick 10, but not good enough for pick #4. You gotta go best player available at #4. That wont be Dion Jordan.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 21 2013, 02:23 PM) *
I wasn't so sure about Cole being taken off the line.

I like the idea of Cole standing up. He's built similar to Tamba Hali and could have that type of impact, assuming he still has anything left in the tank.

Frankly, I think it's better than him being in the trenches, where he's seemed to get worn out over the years.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 21 2013, 05:18 PM) *
Dion will not be an "immediate starter" in the NFL. He'll need time to bulk up from his 225 playing weight.

Everywhere I look has him listed at mid 240. To put this in perspective, Demeco was listed at 6'1" 240. Kendricks at 5'11" 235. Dion, everywhere I look, is either 6'6" or 6'7" and 245 or 243. Das bigger than both of our starters and he would be an absolute tree to throw over. He plays with power and knows how to use those long arms to get to the ball. Dion definitely has the potential to be an immediate starter. And our defensive coaching staff is loaded with guys who have experience coaching linebackers.
D Rock
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Feb 22 2013, 04:40 AM) *
Everywhere I look has him listed at mid 240. To put this in perspective, Demeco was listed at 6'1" 240. Kendricks at 5'11" 235. Dion, everywhere I look, is either 6'6" or 6'7" and 245 or 243. Das bigger than both of our starters and he would be an absolute tree to throw over. He plays with power and knows how to use those long arms to get to the ball. Dion definitely has the potential to be an immediate starter. And our defensive coaching staff is loaded with guys who have experience coaching linebackers.

Apparently he gets upwards of 240 during the offseason, but can't keep it on during the season. He's still a pup, so I wouldn't think it an issue in the long run, but most reports I've read list in his "negatives" an inability to keep weight/bulk on during the season.

He played 2012 at 225 which is paper thin for a guy going 6'7". There's a big difference between 6'1" / 240 and 6'7" / 240 as well. Besides you're comparing apples to oranges. Demeco and Kendricks are Middle guys, not pass rushing OLBs. A better comparison would be a DeMarcus Ware type. He goes 6'4" 260.

For me, the biggest mark against him is his lack of production. He played 3 seasons as a pass rushing OLB and got a grand total of 14 sacks. That's well short of first round "blue chip" production. Staying with DeMarcus Ware . . . he started for 3 years at Troy and got 27.5 sacks. Pretty much double the production.

I'm not saying Dion wont be a fine NLF player one day. I'm just saying he'd be more than a bit of a reach at #4.
TGryn
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 21 2013, 02:18 PM) *
Actually, Graham played SAM in a 3/4 in college and was projected as a 3/4 OLB coming out in the draft.

...but his predraft profiles noted that he didn't have the quickness or lateral footwork to play LB at the next level, which is why he ended up as a DE. Like I said, we can have one guy like that in the new system, but the other guy actually needs to be able to cover well.
Graham: "Displays marginal skill moving in reverse if asked to play in coverage." " At times, appears to be somewhat stiff hipped when diagnosing and playing in space. Scouts question his versatility and ability to stand up and play outside linebacker in a 3-4."
mcnabbulous
I believe Graham was the top ranked MLB coming out of HS, if memory serves. Not that it matters much. He simply couldn't play at that position for whatever reason.
nephillymike
INteresting depth chart.

Here's my take. Our positions of need. I go with starting spots we need to sure up and then backup spots that are thin, or one injury away from big problems:

#1 CB. The depth chart assumes we don't sign DRC and Nnamdi sucks and we shouldn't keep him for free so, this is our biggest need. Alabama CB Milnor?? If we sign DRC (Davis knows him), then this drops to 4th highest need.

#2 OG. Two words: Dennis Kelly. Next question. Womack from Alabama? Our OL coach had him last year.

#3 SS. Colt Anderson is limited and should only be ST and emergency S. Nate Allen can't beat him out.

#4 FS. Coleman is a willng but overmatched starter. Good as a #2 and ST guy, not starter material.
================================================================
Depth.

#5 OT. If we have Peters healthy, big if, and Herremans, that's a great duo. It's an if. Could take Joeckel at OT and move him to the RT spot, and move TH to RG. Solves the #2 need above, but you stil lack depth if Peters not ready.

#6 DT. Dixon is all we got. Need depth. Could the NT Loutelleli (sp?) be the answer?

#7 FB. Not sure how much Kelly uses the Fb, but we need another to challenge Havilli for depth.

Good news is except for the two S spots and the FB spots, we will have worthy talent at #4 left for us to get a good pick in a position of need.

I still the Joeckel is the gem of the draft. I hope he drops to us.
Zero
I thought Dennis Kelly was/is a tackle.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 23 2013, 06:46 AM) *
I thought Dennis Kelly was/is a tackle.

No Z, you misread the abbreviation.

His position of OT is not for offensive tackle.

It's for offensive turnstile!!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 23 2013, 11:01 AM) *
No Z, you misread the abbreviation.

His position of OT is not for offensive tackle.

It's for offensive turnstile!!

OK ... I know I have mush for brains, I only laugh at my own jokes and "dim witted" is a compliment to me, but:
#2 OG. Two words: Dennis Kelly.
I thought he was a tackle. wacko.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 23 2013, 05:12 PM) *
OK ... I know I have mush for brains, I only laugh at my own jokes and "dim witted" is a compliment to me, but:
I thought he was a tackle. wacko.gif

That's how Reid rolled. He constantly drafted tackles and made em play guard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.