Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do YOU like this coaching staff?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I haven't heard one dissenting opinion on the hiring of Tom Gamble. "Solid, experienced football man" is essentially the general concencus of opinion. He knows football and he knows talent.

On the other hand, I have heard several people react to the coaching staff Kelly has hired as dissapointing, "head scratching", confusing, weak, etc. Ray Diddy made that type of comment on his radio show yesterday. Ray loved the Gamble and OL coach hire, but viewed the rest as puzzling.
So a long-time personnel man leaves the defending NFC champions and a team that is going to be good for a lot of years for a team that went 4-12 last year and is in complete rebuilding mode (except maybe at quarterback with the re-signing of Vick). What gives?

"Big time," Gamble answered when asked if coming home was the key reason for his decision. "That, and there were some other things too. I got to know Howie (Roseman, the Eagles general manager) the past few years, and I really like him. He wants to win. I know Chip (Kelly, the Eagles new head coach) from being in the Pac-12. I know a lot of the staff he hired. I really like those guys.
The point is that we won't know until the games are played, and then likely not until November, December or even 2014. Definitely rebuilding time in the City of Brotherly Love.

I don't know a lot about the coaches, from Kelly on down. All I know is what I read. My opionion on Kelly changed when I read what people say about him, listen to what he says and see the little things he's doing. He's a lifer, he has no life but coaching and he's apparently very intelligent. Why would I question his hires?

nephillymike
You question them because you are a n infomred Phila fan, and for the bad rap and over the top many Phila fans get, some of it deserved, overall we are an informed bunch.

Sometimes those that know more than us screw up and it's plain for everyone but them to see.

Juan Castillo as a DC??

Let Dawkins go?

Andy's lack of adjustments?

Andy's slow in game decision making?

Joe Banner have ulterior motives other than bomb scares for keeping hoagies out of the Linc?

Sometimes they are plain as day and as a Phila fan, it is your duty to call them out on it.

Now as far as his coaches, the only one I have a beef on is Davis. I heard him on one of the sports talk shows last week and he talks a good game, But I remain VERY skeptical. If somebody gets fired 11 times in 21 years, that's not normally a good thing, even in a nomadic career as a football coach.

I need to listen to some of the coaches intevies on the Eagles site. haven't had a chance to do that yet to get a feel for the others.

But I do like what Kelly has to say and how he says it. As a fan, I feel like the head coach thinks that I'm important. It's been along 14 year drought. It always baffled me how the Eagles would let Reid and Banner be the two voices of the team. I couldn't think of two worse people for that responsibility. But it is the NFL and it is Philly. Like selling beer to an alcoholic. You don't have to be nice about it. But I greatly appreicate what I'm seeing and hearing from Kelly and Roseman.

So yes, so far, I do like the coaches.
D Rock
Question re: Davis being fired 11 times in 21 years . . .

How many of those were situations where he was a position coach or coordinator and the H.C. was fired? How many of those was he alone fired and the regime in place remained?

I don't fault a position coach or coordinator getting fired because an owner is blowing up the staff. But if the H.C. is firing an underling while remaining in his current job, that's a bit more damning.

Also, it should be also noted that the guy got hired consistantly and was never out of work as an NFL coach in 21 years. That's telling as well.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 17 2013, 02:12 PM) *
Question re: Davis being fired 11 times in 21 years . . .

How many of those were situations where he was a position coach or coordinator and the H.C. was fired? How many of those was he alone fired and the regime in place remained?

I don't fault a position coach or coordinator getting fired because an owner is blowing up the staff. But if the H.C. is firing an underling while remaining in his current job, that's a bit more damning.

Also, it should be also noted that the guy got hired consistantly and was never out of work as an NFL coach in 21 years. That's telling as well.

True. But many of the good ones are asked to remain by the next coach.

Also, in his two DC stints, the D got better after he left. Not a good sign.
Zero
Let's just hope that those stats fall under what Disraeli described as "... lies, damn lies and statistics." We'll see soon enough.

I realize that a sweater with tiny little holes in it was probably eaten by moths, but there's always the chance for another explanation of which we are not aware. I'm sure everyone saying that Davis was a good hire and that he's a good coach is likely his friend and sticking up for him. But maybe they know something the stats don't.

Chip is staking his reputation on having a good defense. It's kind of hard to win if you can't stop the other guys from scoring points. I don't know if he was turned down by others but I suspect he tried to interview Donatello. I don't remember clearly, but weren't there some pretty big dents in his shield too? Being second choice doesn't make you a bad choice.
mcnabbulous
JJ was Andy's second choice (with Marvin Lewis being #1)

I like the staff. Excited for a fresh start. From my perspective, it comes down to talent. We still need to improve that before I'll be able to completely judge these guys. The defense more than the O in that regard.
nephillymike
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimed...89-2a678f09662b

The eagles site has five or six short interviews with the coaches to get a feel for who they are etc.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 17 2013, 08:59 PM) *
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimed...89-2a678f09662b

The eagles site has five or six short interviews with the coaches to get a feel for who they are etc.

The interview with Shurmer was interesting. Listening to that, I get the feel that this isn't going to be "Kelly's offense" but something devised by all the coaches. I'm sure Kelly's simplified play language will be an absolute, allowing for the fast pace but I'm still not convinced this will necessarily be the Oregon option, top to bottom. I'd guess the same concept will take place on the defensive side of the ball - joint concept with simplified language.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
With this new coaching staff, and indeed with the entire future fate of the Eagles team, we are venturing into the unknown.

And that is an impossible thing to judge, but it is something to have an opinion about.

However, I don't have any opinion. It's way too early to say anything at all about that which we can look forward to. So it's wait and see time.

The first time we get to see how this coaching team operates comes during the April draft. That will be our first real time to be able to express any kind of reaction.

But before that and for sometime after it also, wait .. and see ... and hope.

JaxEagle
To answer the question in the OP, I'm lukewarm on Shurmur and kinda raising my eyebrows on Defense... I'll always assume the best and wait and see but I'm a bit skeptical on defense... are we going to run a 4-3, a 3-4, a 6-1... wtf... let's get an identity... our new Defensive staff seems rather generic...
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 17 2013, 09:40 PM) *
True. But many of the good ones are asked to remain by the next coach.

Also, in his two DC stints, the D got better after he left. Not a good sign.

I don't have hard numbers on this, but I'd wager that almost never happens w coordinators.

Jon harbaugh staying on as st coordinator is the only example I can find.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.