Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goodell
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
chuckp
He made about 30 million dollars last year? WTF. This asshole is going to be the downfall of the NFL! I first like him when he started being real hard on the players that get arrested but now it seems like the NFL is changing for the worse under his watch. Changed kick offs and hearing talk about eliminating them all together and you can expect the NFL to be two hand touch in a couple of years....you know that a hard hit on a offence player there is going to be a penalty even when you can see the offense player lower his head to make that helmet to helmet contact. Sorry just had to vent that a ass like him that is changing the violent sport we love is making about 30 million a year.....alot more but tired of typing it out on my phone lol
Phits
QUOTE (chuckp @ Feb 16 2013, 12:04 PM) *
He made about 30 million dollars last year? WTF. This asshole is going to be the downfall of the NFL! I first like him when he started being real hard on the players that get arrested but now it seems like the NFL is changing for the worse under his watch. Changed kick offs and hearing talk about eliminating them all together and you can expect the NFL to be two hand touch in a couple of years....you know that a hard hit on a offence player there is going to be a penalty even when you can see the offense player lower his head to make that helmet to helmet contact. Sorry just had to vent that a ass like him that is changing the violent sport we love is making about 30 million a year.....alot more but tired of typing it out on my phone lol

The game is more popular than it has ever been. How is it changing for the worse?
D Rock
Less violence. The castration of defenders. The vagueries in legal vs. illegal hits on receivers. The double standard on how hits to the qb are officiated. New practice rules that have most teams looking like shit until week 4.

Just off the top of me head.

I understand the need to protect players, but I'm not certain this is the way to do it. And while infuriating at times, it hasen't lessened my love for the game.

Yet.

Pbfan
I think players were protected fine before all this shit started. What should change is that before every player signs, the NFL sits them down and says "ok we now have evidence that playing football may cause brain damage. You have a x/1000 chance of getting a serious injury." Basically just letting the players know the best estimate of the risks of playing the game. Then let them make their own grown up decision. They aren't kids. Let them make the choice.
TGryn
Goodell works for the owners. As long as their bottom line continues showing increasing profits, nothing else matters. AFAIK the only team that releases their financial records are the Packers, since they're publicly traded, and they set a record for profits in 2011. The estimated value of NFL franchises is also at a high. Until these trends start heading down, its going to be business-as-usual with only minor changes (like the KO rule modification).
chuckp
As a football fan it's so annoying getting excited after seeing a big hit 2 seconds later the zebra no matter if it was legal or not throws the flag because it was a big hit lol
Rick
I can understand why he got so much money...he's MADE so much money for the owners. That's how it works.

However, I think he's horrible (overall) for the NFL. Not because he's protecting players, rather, the other things he's doing to the NFL. I still blame him for allowing the lockout to happen. He just can't let that kind of thing happen.

He's been mucking around with the rules to increase scoring and it's just changing the game way too much in the wrong direction.

I look at what he's doing to the NFL--over-exposing it--and I see David Stern all over and what he did to the NBA turning it into the unwatchable thing it has become. Remember, the NBA was by far the most popular spectator game back then. Now, who cares about it? Sure there's the hardcore base but nothing like what it used to be. I can't even watch a game any longer because it no longer resembles basketball at all.
samaroo
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 16 2013, 07:21 PM) *
Less violence. The castration of defenders. The vagueries in legal vs. illegal hits on receivers. The double standard on how hits to the qb are officiated. New practice rules that have most teams looking like shit until week 4.

Just off the top of me head.

I understand the need to protect players, but I'm not certain this is the way to do it. And while infuriating at times, it hasen't lessened my love for the game.

Yet.

This.

I have always loved Defense, being raised on the Eagles in the 80's. It pisses me off that offense, especially QB's, are playing by a different set of rules. I will still watch the sport, and still love it, but I wonder/worry if there will be enough alterations eventually that change that. Sad to think about.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 16 2013, 03:13 PM) *
The game is more popular than it has ever been. How is it changing for the worse?

It's more popular because more and more 12 year old dipshits who go for it on 4th and 20 from their own 30 in Madden like watching flag football.

Honestly, I think most hardcore football fans, while always welcoming a shootout, love to watch gritty, tough defense.

Also, I don't think 'the league' or even the owners are more concerned than they were 10, or even 15 years ago. I think it's the outside forces at work, both in media and govt., which put extra pressure on the NFL. The issue regarding player safety will lead to the demise of the game, it's just a matter of time.

*edit

Obviously Goodell works for the owners, and by any stretch in terms of business, he's been successful. However, a line will eventually be crossed that turns off the base of hardcore, lifelong fans.
samaroo
I think Goodell/Owners care less about "hardcore, lifelong fans" than the almighty dollar. As long as they sell product and make money, they don't care. Justin Bieber's manager probably hates his music, but doesn't care, either.
Phits
It's change. Some welcome it, others long for days of old. The game is still very entertaining to watch.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (samaroo @ Feb 18 2013, 11:38 PM) *
I think Goodell/Owners care less about "hardcore, lifelong fans" than the almighty dollar.

Obviously. I just think at a certain point a line will be crossed where real football fans will be too disgusted to watch. Hopefully we win a ring before the game turns into two-hand touch.
chuckp
I knew I wouldn't be long until the asshole strikes again, they are talking about moving the combine back to march, free agency to April and the draft to may lol.....he just can't help himself but to change shit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.