Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Sickest Day as an Eagles Fan
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Bocadelphia Eagles John
Between 1957 and today I've experienced numerous days sickened by Eagles events on or off the field. But there is one event which ranks as THE worst, the SICKEST day for me as a fan. It was the day Reggie White was announced to be leaving the team.

NFL channel is airing a program in tribute to Reggie White. When I first found out this was playing, I switched to the channel and what did I see first ? The shot of Reggie holding his new jersey, Packers green and gold.

The very first scene after that was of him sacking the Broncos QB twice to put them out of field goal range and to secure the win for GB. I immediately switched off. I could watch no more.

I once owned a 92 Reggie jersey, a white one with green numerals, my proudest ever possession of my all time, up till the dreaded day, favorite Eagles player of ALL time. He was MY personal favorite. And it was a beauty of a jersey .. I thought I really looked sharp as hell in it ... but it ended up in the garbage bin, with my disgust expressed as I tossed it away in anger.

And the idea that Reggie was still an active sack machine producing NFL star but no longer an Eagle sickens me to this very day. I can think of no other event in Eagles history which has pained me more.

I doubt whether the best psychiatrist in the world could ever help me recover and wipe the pain of this from my mind. Luckily, I don't think about this on the vast majority of my living days. But on those rare occasions when my memory is triggered with this event the sickness returns. I hope today's episode will subside quickly. I am posting this here, in part, to purge myself of the recollection.

What a sucky day it was, and continued to be, once I kept hearing of Reggie's achievements with another team. It features big in the very long list of Eagles disappointments.

I wonder if Jeff Lurie is the right owner to get us out of this funked up history and to a point where eventually we get to see our team ranked number 1, and being able to prove it by hoisting the Lombardi. I have a sinking feeling he is not that owner. And an even scarier thought that I will not see the day when that trophy marches down Broad St.

I am reliving the saddest, sickiest day of my experience with Eagles history, reliving it today, and it stinks. It really sucks ... I need some marvelous agreeable skirt to get me out of this funk ... and you know what ? That ain't gonna happen, not any more ... so I will just have to get over it.

I don't think anyone out there can really feel my pain. It's way to weird to be replecated by anyone else I doubt. Oh well... phu*k it !!
samaroo
I feel your pain.

(e-hug)
samaroo
Double post, which means you get another hug! (hug)
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Feb 12 2013, 03:19 PM) *
Between 1957 and today I've experienced numerous days sickened by Eagles events on or off the field. But there is one event which ranks as THE worst, the SICKEST day for me as a fan. It was the day Reggie White was announced to be leaving the team.

NFL channel is airing a program in tribute to Reggie White. When I first found out this was playing, I switched to the channel and what did I see first ? The shot of Reggie holding his new jersey, Packers green and gold.

The very first scene after that was of him sacking the Broncos QB twice to put them out of field goal range and to secure the win for GB. I immediately switched off. I could watch no more.

I once owned a 92 Reggie jersey, a white one with green numerals, my proudest ever possession of my all time, up till the dreaded day, favorite Eagles player of ALL time. He was MY personal favorite. And it was a beauty of a jersey .. I thought I really looked sharp as hell in it ... but it ended up in the garbage bin, with my disgust expressed as I tossed it away in anger.

And the idea that Reggie was still an active sack machine producing NFL star but no longer an Eagle sickens me to this very day. I can think of no other event in Eagles history which has pained me more.

I doubt whether the best psychiatrist in the world could ever help me recover and wipe the pain of this from my mind. Luckily, I don't think about this on the vast majority of my living days. But on those rare occasions when my memory is triggered with this event the sickness returns. I hope today's episode will subside quickly. I am posting this here, in part, to purge myself of the recollection.

What a sucky day it was, and continued to be, once I kept hearing of Reggie's achievements with another team. It features big in the very long list of Eagles disappointments.

I wonder if Jeff Lurie is the right owner to get us out of this funked up history and to a point where eventually we get to see our team ranked number 1, and being able to prove it by hoisting the Lombardi. I have a sinking feeling he is not that owner. And an even scarier thought that I will not see the day when that trophy marches down Broad St.

I am reliving the saddest, sickiest day of my experience with Eagles history, reliving it today, and it stinks. It really sucks ... I need some marvelous agreeable skirt to get me out of this funk ... and you know what ? That ain't gonna happen, not any more ... so I will just have to get over it.

I don't think anyone out there can really feel my pain. It's way to weird to be replecated by anyone else I doubt. Oh well... phu*k it !!

I agree... this was the WORST moment for me as an Eagle fan (and to think I was just getting started). 2002 NFCCG was close, but Reggie leaving really made me mad like few other sporting events have.
nephillymike
Worst Eagle moments off the top of my head:

1. TB loss in 2002
2. The Day they Let Dawk Leave, with the Stacey Andrews Day press conference being closely related
3. Tommy Fucking Hutton
4. Carolina Loss
5. SB Loss to Raiders
6. WC loss in 1977 to Atl when Vermeil didn't bring in another kicker but used the punter who missed XP and 23 yd FG in a 14-13 loss!!
7. SB loss to Pats
8. Loss to Dallas in playoffs in 1996?? in Phila snowstorm when Peete got injured and Randall didn't have a clue
9. Eagles loss to Dallas in 1993? after Kotite's team beat NO. Reggie was dominated by OT Williams. Cahnging of the guard
10. When Reggie left. Lower than usual b/c his "God made me choose GB was a bunch of BS. I hate religious hypocrisy.
HOUSEoPAIN
Tampa Bay loss in the NFCCG - or more specifically, the exact second Ronde Barber caught that ball and had 80 yards of open field in front of him.

Phits
For me, the 2004 SB loss stings the most. Years of failing to win the conference championship game and then finally we get a shot at the big game and all of our misgivings were exposed. All of our teams shortcomings came to light.
-JJ's blitz strategy
-Poor clock management
-Poor running game
-Poor offensive line play
-Poor QB play
-Poor play calling
As it turned out, our dominance of the conference was a result of bad teams. when things fell apart in the '05 season my straw house fell apart and I realize now that the team just wasn't good enough maybe a new coach would have helped. Maybe a new QB or even a new owner. All I know is that it didn't work and the road back to the Finals is a looooooong and painful one.
nephillymike
As Dawk said right after that game.

"It was like they knew exactly what our defensive call were in the 2nd half. Every time we blitzed, they knew it.

It seemed like a statement of little consequence until years later we find out about spy gate.

None of the Eagles spoke out. The Rams of Faulk and Warner were livid, rightfully so.

BB and Kraft got away with way too much.

And Mr 22M man burns the evidence.

What a crock of shit!!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 16 2013, 04:03 PM) *

What a crock of shit!!

There's our ... never mind. I'm still who I am.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 16 2013, 04:03 PM) *

"It was like they knew exactly what our defensive call were in the 2nd half. Every time we blitzed, they knew it.

It seemed like a statement of little consequence until years later we find out about spy gate.

None of the Eagles spoke out. The Rams of Faulk and Warner were livid, rightfully so.

What a crock of shit!!

Apparently it isn't an uncommon practice. Like bounty gate, the sin is in getting caught.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 16 2013, 09:27 PM) *
As it turned out, our dominance of the conference was a result of bad teams. when things fell apart in the '05 season my straw house fell apart and I realize now that the team just wasn't good enough maybe a new coach would have helped. Maybe a new QB or even a new owner. All I know is that it didn't work and the road back to the Finals is a looooooong and painful one.

There's no doubt that this is true. There's no shame in having a cake walk to your division title however. The niners did just that during their dynasty era. That division was a joke the whole decade.

On one point, I have to disagree however....

I fail to see how a "new owner" would have helped. As I see it, Lurie is a stellar owner. He's pretty hands off on the football stuff. He's leaps and bounds better than the lil telemarketer and Jerruh in this regard. So too, he's willing to plunk down the coin to get players his football people say they want.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 16 2013, 10:03 PM) *

What a crock of shit!!

Indeed.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 16 2013, 06:42 PM) *
I fail to see how a "new owner" would have helped. As I see it, Lurie is a stellar owner. He's pretty hands off on the football stuff. He's leaps and bounds better than the lil telemarketer and Jerruh in this regard. So too, he's willing to plunk down the coin to get players his football people say they want.

I like Lurie as an owner. I liked Reid as a HC. I liked McNabb as the QB. I liked JJ as the DC. I liked Dawk as the Safety. However, something (i don't know what it was) didn't mix properly and we couldn't finish the climb to the top. I was suggesting that any change may have helped, but there wasn't one so I just have to live with the what if's.

It was a fun ride though.
Eyrie
Got to agree with the 2002 Tampa Bay game as the nadir. We owned that team and it was the last ever game at the Vet. I expected us to win it.

The SuperBowl was different because I was not optimistic about our chances against the Patriots. At the time I blamed Johnson's second half defence for the loss when others were trying to say it was because McNabb couldn't keep his chunky soup down. IT was only later we learnt why even the legendary Johnson couldn't stop those cheating turds.

The likes of Hutton or White were during my time as an Eagles fan, but back then we got the news a week or more late so there wasn't the same emotional investment which I have now that I can suffer all of our games live (or as live for the 1am kick offs).

1980 was before I'd even heard of the NFL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.