Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If the Eagles do pick a QB in this Draft...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
canadianeagle
I have to admit, the NFL draft is my favorite event of the whole season. Having been an Eagles fan for the last 28 years, without a SB to celebrate, this is the one time of the year where I can dream of Eagle Glory.

With that said, this time of year while fun to hope, is always pure speculation.

If the Kelly does decide to go with QB, I hope they don't take Smith. I would rather use the first pick on a more sure thing like Joekel, Jones, or Milner. Where things start to get interesting is the 2nd round. If Barkley drops to the 4th pick in the second, is he worth the Gamble? What about Wilson or Glennon? If Henderson Drops to the third do they take a flyer on him?

Of course, they may decide to go with Alex Smith and Foles.

Thoughts?
mcnabbulous
I'd love someone to give me an actual explanation behind not drafting Geno. I keep hearing that he sucks, but I'm yet to see a thoughtful analysis of his shortcomings.
canadianeagle
I really can't say if he will suck or not. My only justification for not picking him in the first is that I feel the Eagles have bigger needs.

For what its worth NFL.com has an analysis.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/geno-smith?id=2539335

While he sounds good the very fact he is compared to is Aaron Brooks is not terribly thrilling
Mike_ G
The Eagles have much bigger needs than QB at this point. The reason i say this is becusae the other needs outwieght the Qb draft class. I really do not have my eye brows raised by any of these guys. Even more so after Chip became head coach. Geno is a great player but he is not the franchise QB that Kelley needs or that the Eagles fans need. Im saying plug the leak with someone cheap and make the right choice by building the offense line or secondary.
mcnabbulous
He got better every year in college, which is always a good sign. Has all the physical abilities. My only concern, which I've expressed a few times, is his ability to go through progressions, but that is true of almost every young QB (Manning and Luck being extremely rare exceptions.)

Our biggest needs are in the secondary, but I don't think Milliner is a top-5 pick. I like him, but he doesn't blow me away. No safeties are in that category either.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Mike_ G @ Feb 10 2013, 02:19 PM) *
The Eagles have much bigger needs than QB at this point. The reason i say this is becusae the other needs outwieght the Qb draft class. I really do not have my eye brows raised by any of these guys. Even more so after Chip became head coach. Geno is a great player but he is not the franchise QB that Kelley needs or that the Eagles fans need. Im saying plug the leak with someone cheap and make the right choice by building the offense line or secondary.

What about Smith though? You can't just say it without having something of substance. If he's a "great" player, as you described, then he is better than anything we have.
iggleslover49
Outside of Geno. I wouldn't waist not one pick on this class of QBs. Sign Dixon, and let him Vick, and Foles compete. Not enough arms for the preseason? Get a 6th rounder or later QB selection. Just can't afford to reach for any of these garbage QBs.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Feb 10 2013, 04:32 PM) *
Outside of Geno. I wouldn't waist not one pick on this class of QBs. Sign Dixon, and let him Vick, and Foles compete. Not enough arms for the preseason? Get a 6th rounder or later QB selection. Just can't afford to reach for any of these garbage QBs.

Tend to agree. I think the Vick curiosity is going to get the best of Chip for at least one year. At a reduced salary, of course.
Zero
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Feb 10 2013, 04:32 PM) *

If for no other reason than finances, get rid of MV. We need the cap space to grab a couple of FAs to fill holes. Vick and Aso go, IMO.
Dreagon
Well, as much dissing as this class of QB's has recieved, it might be worthwhile to see if a bargain falls to the second round.

For instance, Barkley's stock dropped from being the assumed first pick which he was projected at the beginning of this year. But he would make a very nice pickup in the second round as a developmental QB for the future.
Eyrie
We've got Foles for a development pick. Either he works out or we look for the franchise QB next year.

And now Kelly has saddled us with Vick to confuse the picture mad.gif
mcnabbulous
More reasons I think we should be targeting Smith at 4:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

A workaholic with all the physical tools. Yes, please.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 13 2013, 03:00 PM) *
More reasons I think we should be targeting Smith at 4:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

A workaholic with all the physical tools. Yes, please.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Smith at #4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.