Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: With the 4th Pick in the 2013 Draft the Philadelphia Eagles Select....
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
navyeagles
Mine would be a coin flip on Geno Smith (if we don't get someone impressive in FA) or I would take Joeckel.

If we take Joeckel at 4 I would like Nassib at 35 or even Manuel...
Zero
My choice would be to load up on defense this year. Now that Reid has gone, let's grab a LB who will be a game changer. Spend 2013 stripping the rust off the team and putting a good base coat on ... start getting the defense ready to be special. Next year is supposed to be the draft that provides QBs, get the franchise there.

This is assuming the OL returns healthy.
canadianeagle
I'd take Joeckel but I seriously doubt that he will be there. Otherwise the best available defensive player. I'd also consider trading down a few slots in the first if it meant getting another second round pick
nephillymike
I want the best available player. We have a need no matter where he plays.

From what I've read the best player is Joeckel, the OT. Not even close.

Others in order:

2. Werner DE
3. Moore DE
4. Millner CB
===========
5 Lotulelei DT
6. Warmack OG
7. Fisher OT
8. Jones OLB
==========
Smith - he's 10-15 range.

I'm happy with any in the top four and hoping the OT falls on the board.

Gotta hope that KC re-signs Albert for OT, then let Andy reach for Smith and we have a shot for the OT.

Does nayone know if Kelly uses zone OL blocking techniques? the OT is supposed to fit in that real well.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 9 2013, 01:09 PM) *
I want the best available player. We have a need no matter where he plays.

From what I've read the best player is Joeckel, the OT. Not even close.

Others in order:

2. Werner DE
3. Moore DE
4. Millner CB
===========
5 Lotulelei DT
6. Warmack OG
7. Fisher OT
8. Jones OLB
==========
Smith - he's 10-15 range.

I'm happy with any in the top four and hoping the OT falls on the board.

Gotta hope that KC re-signs Albert for OT, then let Andy reach for Smith and we have a shot for the OT.

Does nayone know if Kelly uses zone OL blocking techniques? the OT is supposed to fit in that real well.

With so many needs and no franchise QB, is it better to trade down to around 10 and pick up extra selections?
mcnabbulous
Based on the way things played out in the top-10 last year, I have a feeling we won't pick at 4.

I'd take either Geno Smith or the best defensive player available though. Maybe the big DT from Utah.
Dreagon
I think it will be either Smith, Joeckel, or Lotulelie....it simply matters which one falls to you.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 9 2013, 01:16 PM) *
With so many needs and no franchise QB, is it better to trade down to around 10 and pick up extra selections?

I'd rather just get the 4th pick.

But if I were trading down, I wouldn't trade further than #7 so I'd get the 7th plus a 2nd and maybe a 3rd
navyeagles
I dont think Smith will last to 10-15.. His skill set says 10-15 but the need for a franchise QB is greater... someone will take him in the top 8 spots, or someone will trade up into the top 8 and take him.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Feb 9 2013, 02:49 PM) *
I dont think Smith will last to 10-15.. His skill set says 10-15 but the need for a franchise QB is greater... someone will take him in the top 8 spots, or someone will trade up into the top 8 and take him.

I don't think he makes it out of the top-3. Top-5 at most.
Mike_ G
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 9 2013, 01:16 PM) *

Great call +1
Dreagon
QUOTE (Mike_ G @ Feb 9 2013, 02:20 PM) *
Great call +1

Well, with the new rookie wage scale, multiple picks are now more affordable. On the other hand, that high pick is more affordable and therefore more worthy of taking a risk on as well. It's a toughie...
D Rock
I'll be one pissed off eagles fan if we end up with geno fucking smith. That dood is not an nfl qb.
VICKtory
Definitely not the year do draft a QB IMO, I think we need to go Jarvis Jones or Lotulelie if we're doing either 4-3 under or 3-4. Hit saftey in round two and the rest of the secondary later on and in FA. Trading down would be a good option as well, but I think our defense needs a superstar and it's not often that we have a top 5 pick (hopefully) and we need to cash in on it. All depends on line health though of course
chuckp
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 9 2013, 08:32 PM) *
I'll be one pissed off eagles fan if we end up with geno fucking smith. That dood is not an nfl qb.

+1. Don't like the idea of wasting a draft pick this high on smith.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 9 2013, 08:32 PM) *

Based on?
Eyrie
If he's there, it has to be Joekel so that we can then focus on defence the rest of the way. If not, then Lotulelie or Milliner.

Reason for wanting Joekel is that our offense is one piece away from being good and that will help the defence. Depth at QB and TE is a concern and we could do with a big starting WR, but none of these are as pressing as the needs on the other side of the ball. Let's see what Kelly does with this group.

QB - Foles
OL - Peters-Mathis-Kelce-Herremans-Joekel
RB - McCoy/Brown
WR - Jackson, Macklin, Avant, Cooper
TE - Celek
canadianeagle
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 10 2013, 06:03 AM) *
If he's there, it has to be Joekel so that we can then focus on defence the rest of the way. If not, then Lotulelie or Milliner.

Reason for wanting Joekel is that our offense is one piece away from being good and that will help the defence. Depth at QB and TE is a concern and we could do with a big starting WR, but none of these are as pressing as the needs on the other side of the ball. Let's see what Kelly does with this group.

QB - Foles
OL - Peters-Mathis-Kelce-Herremans-Joekel
RB - McCoy/Brown
WR - Jackson, Macklin, Avant, Cooper
TE - Celek

While I agree that Joekel should be the pick if he drops, I do wonder if he fills the greatest need. Assuming Peters is healthy, (which may not be a good assumption) is Joekel the biggest need on the team?

It may be with Kelly's fast offense that someone like Watkin's will be fine. Especially since a big part of his problems were having to go into pass protection sometimes 40-50 times a game. Would not a huge upgrade at linebacker, DB, or DT fill a more important need?

If Joekel does drop to the 4th spot, I would have to think that there would be a team or two who would be willing to move up to that spot. Perhaps the cardinals would be willing to jump to avoid Detroit from taking him. In any case a trade down to 7 or 8 would still allow the Eagles to pick up a very good LB, DT, or DB. It is still way too early but many mocks are listing plus pick up an additional 2nd.

Not sure what they will do in this situation but I would think they will give this some thought.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Feb 10 2013, 01:46 PM) *
While I agree that Joekel should be the pick if he drops, I do wonder if he fills the greatest need.

If we are drafting based on need, we haven't learned anything. It should be best player available. If that's Joekel, he should be the pick.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 10 2013, 04:36 AM) *
Based on?

The 3 or 4 games I've seen him play. Not a great data set, I'll grant you . . . but thine eyes have seen what dey seen. He's erratic. Lousy footwork. Wonky delivery. Not "special" in any way. Simply doesn't pass the eye test.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 10 2013, 07:02 PM) *
If we are drafting based on need, we haven't learned anything. It should be best player available. If that's Joekel, he should be the pick.

Agreed. We need more "special" players regardless of where they'll play. As I see it, we've got maybe 4 of them on the whole roster assuming Peters comes back to his previous level.

Outside of him, Shady, Cox . . . you'd be hard pressed to find one. Perhaps Desean is special in the speed area and Kendricks has potential, but isn't there yet.

Who else? Nobody as I see it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 10 2013, 05:03 PM) *
The 3 or 4 games I've seen him play. Not a great data set, I'll grant you . . . but thine eyes have seen what dey seen. He's erratic. Lousy footwork. Wonky delivery. Not "special" in any way. Simply doesn't pass the eye test.

Fair enough. I don't agree based on my own ocular patdown, but I get the concern. He's not Luck, but if you are holding out to find that, you'll be waiting a while. I think he's better than what we've got.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 10 2013, 05:06 PM) *
Agreed. We need more "special" players regardless of where they'll play. As I see it, we've got maybe 4 of them on the whole roster assuming Peters comes back to his previous level.

Outside of him, Shady, Cox . . . you'd be hard pressed to find one. Perhaps Desean is special in the speed area and Kendricks has potential, but isn't there yet.

Who else? Nobody as I see it.

Maybe Bryce Brown, but yeah...the talent on this roster is greatly exaggerated. We have plenty of good, but very few difference makers. Having a great running back only gets you so far.
canadianeagle
This team's defense has been lacking a "special" player since dawk left. Cox might be that guy but this team needs someone else.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 10 2013, 11:31 PM) *
Fair enough. I don't agree based on my own ocular patdown, but I get the concern. He's not Luck, but if you are holding out to find that, you'll be waiting a while. I think he's better than what we've got.

I like him better than Nassib (having looked at 5 games of "every snap" film on youtube). Nassib is checkdown charlie and I haven't found 1 deep ball that wasn't underthrown. The intermediate throws are all over the place with him. My favorite of this crop so far is EJ Manuel by a wide margin.

Of all these guys, and schemes taken out of the equation . . . I still see Foles having the highest ceiling of the group including him, Smith, Nassib and Manuel. Conversely, Foles has the lowest on paper likelhood of fitting in on a chip kelly offense.

D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 10 2013, 11:36 PM) *
Maybe Bryce Brown, but yeah...the talent on this roster is greatly exaggerated. We have plenty of good, but very few difference makers. Having a great running back only gets you so far.

I'd put Bryce on the bubble with Kendricks. He has sick running ability, no doubt. But as good as he is as a runner . . . he's that bad with ball security. That keeps him off my short list at present.
VICKtory
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Feb 10 2013, 06:43 PM) *
This team's defense has been lacking a "special" player since dawk left. Cox might be that guy but this team needs someone else.

A DT can also only do so much, we need a true playmaker that can get us the ball in the form of fumbles and picks
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Feb 10 2013, 07:06 PM) *
A DT can also only do so much, we need a true playmaker that can get us the ball in the form of fumbles and picks

I understand what you're trying to say, but a DL like Cox can disrupt plays and force the QB into making the bad throws which lead to turnovers.
There are few DBs capable of making those plays on their own.
VICKtory
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 10 2013, 07:21 PM) *
I understand what you're trying to say, but a DL like Cox can disrupt plays and force the QB into making the bad throws which lead to turnovers.
There are few DBs capable of making those plays on their own.

Agree with you 100% I'm just feeling like we need one more stud on the defensive side of the ball not on the D Line
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Feb 10 2013, 07:45 PM) *
Agree with you 100% I'm just feeling like we need one more stud on the defensive side of the ball not on the D Line

I'm all in favor of acquiring a stud defender. I think the guy with the biggest potential in that regard is Mingo, but his productivity this past year leaves a lot to be desired.
Regardless, we need a home run in the first this year. I don't care who it is, as long as that guy is an impact player for the next decade.
xsv
LT.

I don't care that Peters has potential. I think you need a guy at that position that can start for like 12 years in a row without missing a game. Fuck it, put Peters at RT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.