Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MV - MVP or MCF
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I vividly remember listening to the car radio when Reid announced he was staying with Michael Vick as his starting QB in 2010. I was shocked because Kolb had lost his spot due to injury. As it turns out this wasn't the same thing as Jim Harbaugh changing from Smith to Kaepernick. If one accepts that Vick was/is the Most Celbrated Fraud and not a valid candidate for 2010 Most Valuable Player then it would also seem to indict Reid and his short comings. Reading this piece sure makes a case for us all to be very happy the Eagles have a new coach:
The flaws Vick exhibited in 2011 and '12 were showing from the very beginning. He was always holding on to the ball too long, not reading the blitz, taking too many sacks. The turnovers and injuries were always going to catch up to him. They were already there. It was inevitable.

Why is 2010 10-6 with a first-round playoff exit still celebrated as some extraordinary season? Because of two-and-a-half games, and the name on the back of the jersey. If any other quarterback had the year Vick had, signing him to a long-term contract rather than searching for a quarterback of the future would have come under far more scrutiny. Because it was Michael Vick, a former first-overall pick who was at one time the most dynamic athlete to ever play the position, because he is occasionally capable of doing special things on a football field, it was mostly received as the right thing to do.

It was all an illusion. An extra INT here, one spoiled comeback there, and it would've been just another 8-8 season from the Birds featuring middling quarterback play. It never should have come as a surprise when Michael Vick fell back to earth.
Here ...

Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 1 2013, 05:55 AM) *
I vividly remember listening to the car radio when Reid announced he was staying with Michael Vick as his starting QB in 2010. I was shocked because Kolb had lost his spot due to injury. As it turns out this wasn't the same thing as Jim Harbaugh changing from Smith to Kaepernick. If one accepts that Vick was/is the Most Celbrated Fraud and not a valid candidate for 2010 Most Valuable Player then it would also seem to indict Reid and his short comings. Reading this piece sure makes a case for us all to be very happy the Eagles have a new coach:
Here ...

Can't agree more. however, I don't think most celebrated his huge contract. I know I didn't.
mcnabbulous
I'm confused by the premise of this article. When did Reid stop attempting to acquire his QB of the future? If anything, I would say that the decision to promote Vick was more of a realization that Kolb wasn't the answer. Maybe the offseason between 2010-2011, but he certainly made an effort to upgrade the position after the 2011 season. There were lots of rumors of us pursuing both Manning and RGIII.

If anything, Reid was always known for having some of the best depth at the QB position. Typically McNabb backed by a solid backup and a viable third stringer. Our acquisition of Vick was a testament to that.

The argument for thinking Vick may be the answer is simply the fact that he did seem to improve under the tutelage of Reid/Marty and an offseason as the starter may result in continued improvement. It turned out to be incorrect, but it wasn't completely absurd.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 1 2013, 11:08 AM) *
I'm confused by the premise of this article. When did Reid stop attempting to acquire his QB of the future? If anything, I would say that the decision to promote Vick was more of a realization that Kolb wasn't the answer. Maybe the offseason between 2010-2011, but he certainly made an effort to upgrade the position after the 2011 season. There were lots of rumors of us pursuing both Manning and RGIII.

If anything, Reid was always known for having some of the best depth at the QB position. Typically McNabb backed by a solid backup and a viable third stringer. Our acquisition of Vick was a testament to that.

The argument for thinking Vick may be the answer is simply the fact that he did seem to improve under the tutelage of Reid/Marty and an offseason as the starter may result in continued improvement. It turned out to be incorrect, but it wasn't completely absurd.

The article concedes that Vick improved in Philadelphia. I understood the article to intimate that Reid over-valued him. When Reid addressed the media to tell everyone that Vick would take over the starter spot he was absolutely gushing about him ... at least that's my memory. MV has always been loaded with talent but has never delivered other than in bursts. The author pointed that out as well. 2010 was an anomaly for Vick, he's average and a turn over machine ... that was main point as I read it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 1 2013, 02:07 PM) *
The article concedes that Vick improved in Philadelphia. I understood the article to intimate that Reid over-valued him. When Reid addressed the media to tell everyone that Vick would take over the starter spot he was absolutely gushing about him ... at least that's my memory. MV has always been loaded with talent but has never delivered other than in bursts. The author pointed that out as well. 2010 was an anomaly for Vick, he's average and a turn over machine ... that was main point as I read it.

I think Reid was naturally intrigued by Vick's skillset and upside. It's natural for a guy like Reid to believe he can maximize that, given his success with QB's historically.
I'd be wary of thinking Kelly is somehow immune to the Vick curiosity. He is, of course, still on our roster. Maybe Chip is having those same dangerous visions.
Eyrie
Fortunately Kelly has the evidence of the Reid-coached years to judge Vick on.

nephillymike
http://www.nfl.com/player/michaelvick/2504...ogs?season=2010

His rating that year was second only to McNabb's 2004 of 104 and his 12 game stretch in 2010 was the best 12 game stretch of QB play we've ever seen here.

It's showed promise because you figured he'd improve with more work, and his speed was awesome, so not only could he escape some situations, he could kill a team with his legs too.

The thing they overestimated was his character. When a guy is broke and is playing for his life, he will listen and do whatever he needs to do to get back whaere he was. Once there with that huge guarantee, he no longer had the incentive to play the right way and stepped back into MV experience mode. Unfortunately MV experience mode doesn't win in the NFL.

It's a shame. He throws a beautiful pass and has so many tools.

But until the bad pass to Cooper, 2010 was fun to watch him play QB. Way more accurate than McNabb and seemed more comfortable in the leader role too.

He culda ben sumbodee.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 2 2013, 02:35 PM) *
He culda ben sumbodee.

jumpclap.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
The thing they overestimated was his character. When a guy is broke and is playing for his life, he will listen and do whatever he needs to do to get back whaere he was. Once there with that huge guarantee, he no longer had the incentive to play the right way and stepped back into MV experience mode. Unfortunately MV experience mode doesn't win in the NFL.

This is an excellent point. His choices were basically to win games or to be poor and out of a job (relatively poor that is, NFL minimum salary is quite good). Once he earned his second $100+ million contract of his career, the sense of urgency was probably gone, though I wouldn't say he 'mailed it in,' he appeared to give it his all IMO.
iggleslover49

I do agree with the fact that he was hungry. But I don't understand where you think he quit listening and doing what he needed to do to get better. MV experience mode? To me, that's Vick pulling the ball down and running. But Vick never resorted back to that. The running attempts have decreased more and more from 2010 to now. Vick was trying to play the way everyone else wanted him to, from the pocket.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.